This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
These easy, savory air fryer hand pies are ready in just 15 minutes. If you own an air-fryer, these flaky and beefy Sloppy Joe hand pies are a must-try!
There is no need to spend hours in the kitchen to enjoy flaky beef and cheddar pies.
This recipe uses storebought pie crust, and it’s also perfect for those who don’t own an oven because it’s cooked in the air fryer for just 8 minutes.
Because each scrumptious flaky, and filling piece is already a single serving, these air fryer hand pies are convenient and fun for a hassle-free meal.
Everyone will enjoy their own delicious and meaty Sloppy Joe without the mess of cutting a slice.
What Are Sloppy Joe Hand Pies?
Sloppy Joe hand pies are a variation of the beloved Sloppy Joe sandwich without the inconvenience of the filling spilling out of the buns.
Sloppy Joe hand pies are mess-free because the meaty and cheesy filling is inside the flaky pie crust cooked to perfection in the air fryer.
Each air-fried beef and cheddar hand pie is a single serving, making it the perfect dish to serve guests or enjoy alone. It’s a genius recipe that’s hassle-free to cook and serve!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Want more reasons to take out the air fryer and prepare these hand pies? Here are the best things about this recipe:
- Hearty Pies Ready in 8 Minutes – This filling and satisfying hand pie recipe are cooked in the air fryer for only 8 minutes, so it’s perfect for lazy and busy days. Enjoy beef and cheddar pie without freezing or cooking for hours.
- Affordable But Packed With Savory Cheesy Flavors – These Sloppy Joes only need six basic ingredients, making them affordable and convenient whenever and wherever. Enjoy cheesy and meaty goodness inside a flaky crust without getting frustrated with dough-making and baking when trying a homemade pie crust recipe.
- Mess-Free and Can Be Done Ahead of Time – It’s already great that these 6-ingredient air-fried hand pies are ready to enjoy in 8 minutes. But if needed, they also make fantastic meal prep or party dishes if needed because they store quickly and can be reheated for just a few minutes.
What Do Sloppy Joe Hand Pies Taste Like?
These air fryer hand pies feature the taste of the fan-favorite Sloppy Joe sandwich.
The perfect balance of meaty and fatty ground beef partners with the sweet and tangy tomato-based Sloppy Joe sauce; it’s no surprise Sloppy Joe is a favorite comfort food.
But this recipe is a must-try because the classic Sloppy Joe filling is in a flaky pastry. The air-fried pie crust does not get soggy to the savory and meaty filling, but it’s not chewy or tough either.
And to add to those mouthwatering features of these Sloppy Joe hand pies, each bite of the hot hand-held food pie will reveal a cheddar cheese center to balance the tomato-based beefy flavor of cooking.
Are Air Fryer Hand Pies Healthy?
Enjoy these beef and cheddar hand pies without fearing excess trans fats because they’re cooked in the air fryer and not fried in oil.
But like a classic Sloppy Joe sandwich, these Sloppy Joe hand pies also don’t have a list of nutrients that can be expected from veggie-loaded meals.
Air-fried hand pies only consist of ground beef, cheese, pre-made pie crusts, and Sloppy Joe sauce, which can be high in calories.
However, there’s nothing wrong with enjoying these savory beef pasties now and then, especially with balanced meals and exercise throughout the week.
Those with allergies can also use gluten-free pie crusts or experiment with vegan ground beef and cheese to reduce calories on the dinner plate.
What Are The Benefits Of Air-Fried Hand Pies?
Beefy, saucy, and cheesy Sloppy Joes don’t need to be “sloppy” to enjoy. These air fryer hand pies won’t have the filling spilling and making a mess, so they’re perfect while watching the TV after a hungry and tiring day.
Even better, each air-fried goodness makes a single serving for guests to enjoy. There’s no need to slice a big pie or sandwich at a party or dinner.
And because these flaky hand pies use storebought pie crust for convenience with few ingredients, the recipe is budget-friendly and hassle-free!
Ingredients For Air Fryer Hand Pies
- Storebought pie crusts – Readily available, affordable, and effortless to prepare than homemade pie crust. These flaky crusts are perfect vessels for the saucy beef Sloppy Joe filling.
- Ground beef – Make sure to use 20% fat ground beef, so the meat is not dry but still flavorful for the savory Sloppy Joe sauce.
- Sloppy Joe sauce – Tomato-based universally-loved sauce that makes these air fryer hand pies even easier to make because it’s already flavorsome and ready to go.
- Cheddar cheese – Add shredded cheddar cheese inside each air fryer pie for a delicious counterbalance to the savory filling. Getting the sharp cheddar cheese slightly melted from being cooked in the air fryer will surely make the crowd want a second or third pie.
- Salt – Add as much as needed when preparing the hand pie filling.
- Pepper – Season to taste with black pepper and add some kick to the tangy and meaty Sloppy Joe filling.
- Cooking spray – Avocado oil is the best oil for the air fryer, giving the flaky crust a mouthwatering golden brown color.
Tools Needed To Prepare Air Fryer Hand Pies
- Air fryer for cooking these easy 8-minute Sloppy Joe hand pies
- Round cookie cutter for cutting the pie crust into dough circle
- Nonstick skillet for browning the ground meat
- Cooling rack for cooling the air-fried beef and cheddar pies before serving
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Sloppy Joe Hand Pies
What makes this hassle-free air fryer hand pie recipe is not only from cooking in the air fryer. It also uses storebought pie crust, but if unavailable, puff pastry will be delicious stuffed with beef and cheese.
Experiment with cooking times to achieve the desired flakey crust texture.
The savory Sloppy Joe filling is already good with the beef’s natural flavors. But to make the hand pies tastier, rosemary is a great spice to add to the sauce because of its woody flavor.
Dried red pepper
Dried red pepper can also enhance the classic flavors of beef and cheddar Sloppy Joe. The added kick is perfect with the tangy tomato sauce and nutty cheddar cheese inside each pie.
Some even prefer a spicy meat filling and add more pepper flakes.
How to Make Air Fryer Hand Pies
- Storebought pie crusts
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 15 oz can Sloppy Joe sauce
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
Tools you need
STEP 1: Prepare the ingredients for the Sloppy Joe hand pies.
STEP 2: Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
STEP 3: Roll out the refrigerated pie crust evenly on a floured surface and cut out circles using a round cookie cutter. Make sure to cut enough circles of dough to pair with each serving of these air fryer hand pies.
STEP 4: Brown the ground beef for 7 minutes on medium heat in a non-stick skillet and season with salt and pepper. Mix the Sloppy Joe sauce with the meat, then cool the homemade pie filling completely.
STEP 5: Place a tablespoon of the beef mixture in the center of one pie circle. Can also add more for extra filling.
STEP 6: Top with some cheddar cheese and place another pie circle over it.
STEP 7: Mend the pie rounds with a fork and spray with cooking spray. Make sure the edges of rounds are secured together.
STEP 8: Space out the hand pies in the air fryer basket evenly and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
STEP 9: Transfer the delicious hand pies to a cooling wire rack and serve afterward.
What To Serve With Beef And Cheddar Air Fryer Hand Pies
Roasted veggies like broccoli would pair well with these easy air fryer hand pies.
Baked beans or potato salad can accompany these beefy and cheesy Sloppy Joes for a full meal at a dinner or party. Or, for something lighter, serve these air fryer hand pies with French onion soup.
Want other easy recipes? Try these flavorful side dishes with Sloppy Joe hand pies:
Tips About Making Sloppy Joe Hand Pies
These 8-minute miniature pies are so easy to make. But for the perfect meaty Sloppy Joe inside flaky crusts, keep these in mind:
- Use 80% lean, 20% fat ground beef so it wouldn’t dry out but still be filling and meaty.
- After browning the beef and incorporating the sauce, cool the mixture completely before assembling the hand pies, or the refrigerated storebought dough will be a mess.
- Get flaky air-fried hand pies by chilling the pie crust until usage, as chilled pasties will cook in the air fryer without losing their structure when exposed to heat.
How To Store Air-Fried Hand Pies
These air fryer hand pies can be enjoyed for a few days if cooled and covered in foil before keeping on a countertop. But for more extended storage, here are what to remember:
- Fridge: For convenience, making Sloppy Joe hand pies in bulk is possible. Then, cool them completely before storing them in an airtight container in the fridge for four days.
- Freezer: After cooling, the air fryer hand pies can be stored in a secured freezer container for two months.
- Reheating: Defrost the frozen hand pies in the fridge overnight. Then, heat leftover pies in the air fryer or for 5 minutes at 350°F in a toaster oven for a crispy crust.
What’s The Difference Between A Sloppy Joe And A Sloppy Jane?
Sloppy Joe and Sloppy Jane are both loose meat sandwiches. But instead of ground beef, the Sloppy Jane uses ground turkey, which makes it leaner and potentially healthier.
Is Empanada The Same As A Hand Pie?
Hand pies and empanadas are terms used interchangeably since their recipes are similar. The core of a hand pie and empanada is meat filling inside a dough or pie pastry.
Because there are many versions, the two dishes might differ in the filling combination and cooking method.
FAQ About Air Fryer Hand Pies
What are hand-held pies called?
Handheld pies can be called empanadas or turnovers. It’s amazing how different cultures have their own version of a meat-filled dough that’s small enough to be handheld.
What’s the difference between a hand pie and a pasty?
There’s no difference between hand pies and pasties, as the terms are used interchangeably for meat-filled pastry. Interestingly, the history of the pasty or meat pie can be traced back to Cornish tin miners in need of a convenient lunch.
How long do pies take in the air fryer?
These quick and easy meal-sized pasties are cooked in the air fryer for 6 to 8 minutes, shorter than baked hand pies.
- Prepare the ingredients for the Sloppy Joe hand pies.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Roll out the refrigerated pie crust evenly and cut out circles using a round cookie cutter. Make sure to cut enough circles to pair with each serving of these air fryer hand pies.
- Brown the ground beef for 7 minutes in a non-stick skillet and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the Sloppy Joe sauce to the meat, then cool completely.
- Take a tablespoon of the beef mixture and place it in the center of one pie circle.
- Top with some cheddar cheese and place another pie circle over it.
- Mend the crusts with a fork and spray with cooking spray.
- Space out the hand pies in the air fryer evenly and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the air fryer hand pies to a cooling rack and serve afterward.
- Use 80% lean and 20% fat ground beef for a filling but flavorful Sloppy Joe.
- Ensure the beef mixture for the air fryer hand pies is completely cooled before assembling the pies.
- Use a chilled pie crust to help it maintain its structure as it cooks in the air fryer and ensure delicious flaky hand pies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 36g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
It’s possible to enjoy Sloppy Joe mess-free with this easy single hand pie recipe. The classic tomato and beef filling pairs perfectly with the flaky pie crust.
Each handheld piece is also filled with cheddar cheese for a delicious surprise.
If you own an air fryer, it would be a shame not to try these 6-ingredient beef and cheddar Sloppy Joe hand pies.
Psst! This is the air-fryer I own and use. It’s a little pricey, but it’s worth every dollar!
This recipe can also be modified with favorite fillings, but be mindful of extra cooking time with some ingredients.
And if you’re craving something sweet, this chocolate pie will have you licking your fingers in no time! Consider this your fair warning.🤤
Or, much better, try these equally easy and mouthwatering dishes if you like this pie recipe: