This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Want to try the viral pasta chips at home? Here’s a must-try leveled-up oven-baked recipe with a yummy dipping sauce, perfect while watching movies.
Oven baked pasta chips are surprisingly easy to do for a quick and yummy snack to munch on at home.
It’s not surprising that it got viral, especially since most of the ingredients are likely already at home.
But for a more satisfying crunch, try these pasta chips with a crazy good cream cheese dip. The crispy rigatoni hugged by the creamy and garlicky sauce will make anyone addicted.
And best of all, this pasta chips recipe uses an oven, so it can be done by those who don’t have an air fryer!
What Are Pasta Chips?
Pasta chips quickly became a viral snack because they are yummy, crunchy, and easy to make.
From the name itself, they are boiled pasta noodles coated in seasonings and crisped up in an air fryer or baked into golden brown perfection in the oven.
It’s up to the cook what they want to use to season the pasta chips. This must-try recipe uses rigatoni, but other bite-size pasta will do, depending on the preferred shape and texture.
These pasta chips can be made in the air fryer, but baking them in the oven gives a better crunch and texture.
Air fryer pasta chips can sometimes become a dry and disappointing mess that can feel like gnawing on a dog bone, yikes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
With oven baked pasta chips, there’s really nothing not to like. Imagine an easy crunchy snack without needing special ingredients.
Pop the seasoned pasta in the oven, make a quick creamy dip, and the delicious, healthier-than-potato-chips snack is ready!
- Versatile Munchies Perfect for Busy People: Crunchy pasta chips quickly became a viral snack because they’re easy to make. After a short prep time, the pasta chips are ready to serve, and they’re versatile to experiment with flavors and different combinations.
- Healthy and Satisfying Crunchy Snack: Pasta chips are healthier than deep-fried regular potato chips because they’re cooked in the oven, so they’re not high in trans fat. There is even high-protein and low-carb pasta for those watching their calories.
- Made in the Oven Guaranteed Not to Disappoint: Most viral pasta chips recipe use an air fryer, but these leveled-up oven baked pasta chips have a more satisfying crunch. Some people who tried the viral air fryer pasta chips are often disappointed because of the dry pasta chips with overcooked interior.
What Do Oven Baked Pasta Chips Taste Like?
It’s never too late to hop on the pasta chips bandwagon and discover why they quickly become a crowd favorite. Boiled bite-size pasta like rigatoni, farfalle, or penne is seasoned with desired herbs and spices before getting nice and crispy in the oven.
The pasta chips easily satisfy the cravings for something crunchy, and their size offers a large surface area for the seasonings to cover.
This recipe also includes a yummy garlicky and herby creamy dipping sauce made from cream cheese and yogurt to complement the crunch and herbs of the amazing snack.
It’s up to the cook to decide what seasonings or dip they want for the pasta chips.
Some use black garlic powder, mushroom umami powder, black truffle powder, sweet chili sauce, or a nice marinara sauce. But for a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, try this recipe that uses Italian herbs and spices.
Are Pasta Chips Healthy?
Pasta chips are healthy snacks because they’re baked in the oven and use less oil than traditionally-fried chips. Oven baked pasta chips have lower calories, and each piece is not overloaded with trans fats like deep-fried foods.
These versatile oven baked pasta chips can even become keto-friendly with low-carb pasta. There is also a selection of grain-free pasta if gluten-free pasta chips are preferred.
It’s possible to use low-fat yogurt and cream cheese for a lighter dip to pair with these snacks.
And, of course, it doesn’t hurt to be mindful of pasta chip portions (no matter how hard it is not to want a second or third bowl of these yummy morsels.)
What Are The Benefits Of Pasta Chips?
The best thing about these viral pasta chips but better recipe is they’re crisped up in the oven.
Pasta chips are yummy and satisfying snacks anyone can make, but it’s very common for people to overcook with air fryers if the heat does not circulate properly.
Most people who tried the viral pasta chips are disappointed because the results are dry and too tough to munch on.
These oven baked pasta chips are guaranteed to satisfy the cravings for crisps without worrying about chipping a tooth or two.
Ingredients For Pasta Chips
Pasta Chips Ingredients:
- Rigatoni pasta: Pasta chips can be made from any preferred shape of bite-size pasta, like penne pasta or farfalle, the bowtie pasta. However, rigatoni’s size and shape are so satisfying to munch on, especially for dipping.
- Mixed spices like rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, or marjoram: These oven baked pasta chips are versatile for any preferred spice combination, but classic Italian flavors will always be a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
- Garlic powder: Tasty and subtle garlic flavor that compliments most spices.
- Paprika: Choose from sweet, hot, or smokey variations, whichever suits the cravings for extra flavor.
- Salt: Season the crisp pasta chips to perfection.
- Pepper: Adjust the flavor of the pasta chips and dressing with pepper as needed.
- Olive oil: The base for the addictive dressing in this leveled-up oven baked pasta chips recipe.
- Parmesan cheese: Add as much as the heart wants for pasta chips that are sure to have foodies licking their fingers.
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- Greek yogurt: Delicious low-calorie option than sour cream.
- Cream cheese: The perfect creamy contrast with the herby and crispy pasta chips.
- Cherry tomatoes: Finish the crazy good cream cheese dip with juicy and sweet tomato slices.
- Garlic: Parmesan’s perfect partner that also goes well with the Italian herbs in the seasoned pasta chips.
- Salt: Start with a bit of salt to balance the creamy sour dip.
- Pepper: Optional black pepper for some kick to the dip.
- Choice of Italian seasonings like rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, or marjoram: Can be the same spices used in seasoning the pasta chips.
Tools Needed To Prepare Pasta Chips
- Pot for boiling the pasta
- Colander for draining the pasta
- Parchment paper for lining the baking sheet
- Vegetable oil for greasing the baking sheet
- Bowls for mixing the dressing and dipping sauce
- Oven for baking the pasta chips
- Blender for mixing the dipping sauce
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Pasta Chips
Farfalle pasta also makes fantastic and satisfying pasta chips because of their bow tie shapes. Not only are they guaranteed to entice party guests because of their looks, but their crispy brown edges are also perfect for people who love the crusty sides of lasagna.
This versatile and easy pasta chips recipe can also be modified for vegan foodies. Opt for a vegan dip and replace the Parmesan cheese in the chips with vegan parmesan, which is also ideal for dairy-free and gluten-free diets.
Want to make these addictive pasta chips with fewer calories? Use non-fat Greek yogurt for the crowd-favorite sauce, and maintaining weight should not be difficult.
There’s nothing wrong with satisfying cream cheese cravings now and then, but this crazy good dip can still be as delicious with vegan cream cheese. This is perfect for cutting down calories further and making a high-protein cheese sauce.
How to Make Pasta Chips
For the oven baked pasta chips
- 400 g rigatoni pasta; can also use penne, farfalle, or any preferred pasta shapes
- 1.5 to 2 tsp choice of mixed spices like rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, or marjoram
- Garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 50 ml olive oil
- 200 g parmesan cheese
For the dipping sauce:
- 100 ml Greek yogurt
- 100 g cream cheese
- 4 to 5 pcs cherry tomatoes
- ½ to 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp choice of spices like rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, or marjoram
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather all the ingredients for the oven baked pasta chips.
STEP 2: Cook pasta al dente per packet instructions in salted boiling water.
STEP 3: Drain pasta in a colander.
STEP 4: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease the sheet with cooking oil.
STEP 5: Spread the pasta in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. They should not be overlapping or touching.
STEP 6: Mix olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and spices to make a quick dressing. Pour it on top of the pasta chips.
STEP 7: Next, sprinkle the pasta chips with parmesan and mix everything well.
STEP 8: Bake the pasta chips in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
STEP 1: Mix the Greek yogurt and cream cheese to make the base for the dipping sauce of the freshly baked pasta chips.
STEP 2: Stir in chopped garlic, salt, pepper, spices, and oil, then pulse in a blender for better mixing.
STEP 3: Top the dipping sauce with tomato slices.
STEP 4: Serve with delicious and crisp pasta chips to finish the perfect snack.
What To Serve With Pasta Chips
These oven baked pasta chips go perfectly with the cheesy dipping sauce included in the recipe. Alternatively, some taste buds might enjoy the chunky and rich marinara sauce as the dip for pasta chips.
Craving for something meatier with these pasta chips? Prepare a quick crab rangoon dip with whipped cream cheese, crab meat, scallion, salt, and pepper.
Pasta chips can also be the favorite appetizer or finger food.
Here are some other leveled-up homemade dishes to partner with pasta chips for a full meal:
Picture this: a delightful platter of golden, crunchy pasta chips served alongside a steaming bowl of Cajun sausage pasta. It’s the ultimate fusion of textures and flavors that will leave you craving more.
Tips About Making Pasta Chips
Want to guarantee crispy pasta chips and ensure that each delicious snack is perfectly cooked? Remember these tips!
- Cook the pasta al dente or until they are springy and not saggy.
- Make sure to space the pasta evenly and not overlap in the tray before baking.
- Ten to twelve minutes might not be enough to bake the pasta chips until golden brown in some ovens, so consider cooking them for longer until crispy.
How To Store Pasta Chips
Like any other crispy snack, these oven baked pasta chips are best consumed after cooking. However, they can still be enjoyed for a few days with these storage tips:
Fridge: It’s not recommended to store the leftover pasta chips in the fridge. Instead, pour the cooled chips into an airtight container and store them at room temperature for 3 to 5 days.
Freezer: Freezing leftover pasta chips is not a good idea because of the resulting moisture after defrosting. This will lead to soggy chips.
Since it’s not ideal to refrigerate or freeze leftover pasta chips, the best way to guarantee these crunchy and flavorful bites is to cook them in portions.
Only bake an amount of serving that’s guaranteed to be consumed completely.
How Long Do Pasta Chips Last?
Pasta chips can last anywhere from 3 to 5 days, but storing them properly is essential to avoid ruining their crunchiness. First, ensure the oven-baked pasta chips have entirely cooled before storage.
Then, find a sealed, airtight container for them and store the chips at room temperature. Finally, pick a spot that won’t be exposed to moisture or extreme conditions.
How Many Calories Are In Pasta Chips?
The calories in pasta chips, particularly in this recipe, are 40 grams. However, it’s possible to modify the recipe and find ingredient substitutes to cut the calories for those wanting to manage their weight.
The cream cheese dip can also be replaced with a low-calorie option made from veggies. And for the pasta, consider a low-carb variation for a healthier snack.
FAQ About Pasta Chips
Are pasta chips healthier than regular chips?
Pasta chips are cooked in the air fryer or oven, making them healthier than regular chips fried in oil and dripping with saturated fats.
Are pasta chips good?
Pasta chips are good and delicious, especially for satisfying unhealthy fried and crispy snack cravings. Their partner seasoning or dip can also be modified for different palates.
Can I make pasta chips in the oven, or can you make pasta chips without an air fryer?
Yes, it’s possible to make pasta chips in the oven with the ideal temperature, cooking time, and arrangement of the pasta noodles on the baking sheet.
How long do you air fry pasta chips?
Pasta chips are air-fried for five minutes before flipping and cooking for two minutes or longer to guarantee even crispness.
For the oven baked pasta chips
- 400 g rigatoni pasta
- 1.5 to 2 tsp rosemary
- 1.5 to 2 tsp oregano
- 1.5 to 2 tsp thyme
- 1.5 to 2 tsp basil
- 1.5 to 2 tsp marjoram
- Garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 50 ml olive oil
- 200 g parmesan cheese
For the dipping sauce
Oven baked pasta chips:
- Gather all the ingredients for the oven baked pasta chips.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions in salted boiling water.
- Drain the cooked pasta in a colander.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease with oil.
- Spread the pasta in a single layer. They should not be overlapping or touching.
- Mix olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and spices to make a quick dressing. Pour it on top of the pasta chips.
- Next, sprinkle the pasta chips with parmesan and mix everything well.
- Bake the pasta chips in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Mix the Greek yogurt and cream cheese to make the base for the dipping sauce of the freshly baked pasta chips.
- Stir in chopped garlic, salt, pepper, spices, and oil, then pulse in a blender for better mixing.
- Top the dipping sauce with tomato slices.
- Serve with delicious and crisp pasta chips.
- Boil the pasta until springy to guarantee crispy chips.
- Bake pasta chips in batches and arrange them in a single layer to ensure even cooking.
- Depending on oven strength, the pasta chips can be baked for 17 minutes or longer until golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 5Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Some viral recipes are worth trying, like turning pasta into chips. Because of the dressing and dip, these homemade chips level up into an addictive snack even for the pickiest eater.
And best of all, pasta chips are healthier than regular chips since they’re not cooked in oil, which adds unnecessary and unhealthy saturated fats to each bite.
This versatile and delicious food trend can even use alternative ingredients for low-calorie, keto, or vegan diets.
If you liked this oven-baked pasta chips recipe, you’d love these similarly tasty and easy meals: