This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
These bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter come together with just 4 ingredients. Sweet, savory, and smoky, they’ll please the crowd at any party!
These bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter will disappear at your gathering as quickly as you made them.
Perfect for Game Day, you won’t believe how easy it is to whip up these sweet, savory, and smoky delights.
You only need 4 ingredients: a pound of smoked sausages, a pound of bacon, a stick of butter, and two cups of brown sugar to “win” the crowd at your football and tailgating parties.
Forget about pigs in a blanket.
These glazed bacon wrapped Smokies are the best way to get the party started!
What are Bacon Wrapped Smokies?
You can’t get any more literal than this dish: bacon-wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter.
They’re little smoked sausages wrapped with bacon and baked with a buttery brown sugar glaze. But don’t be fooled by their simplicity.
These four-ingredient brown sugar Smokies are the perfect example of the phrase “small but terrible.”
Serve these bacon-wrapped sausages with brown sugar and butter at your next gathering, and I can guarantee you’ll have everyone cheering to refill the platter immediately. After placing them on the table, these bacon wrapped Smokies will be gone in seconds!
Savory, sweet, smoky, and buttery, these small sausages are definitely not small in flavor. Those layers will keep anyone’s taste buds wanting more. 😋
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 4 Ingredients: A quick appetizer that only needs 4 ingredients? That’s what they meant when they said “effortless entertaining!” This simplicity of bacon wrapped smokies with brown sugar and butter also means you’ll have so many options to customize them.
- Incredibly Tasty: These bacon wrapped smokies with brown sugar glaze combine savory and sweet, one delicious piece at a time. Serve them as they are or with different dips and become everyone’s favorite Super Bowl party host.
- Perfect For Parties: Whether for Game Days, holidays, or simple get-togethers, your menu needs these brown sugar bacon wrapped smoked sausages. Easily make a big batch to feed a hungry crowd or prepare them in advance for less time in the kitchen and more time watching the Super Bowl.
What Do Bacon Wrapped Smokies with Brown Sugar and Butter Taste Like?
These bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter can easily win all palates with their sweet and savory flavor. This combo just works because the flavors enhance each other; a treat for the taste buds indeed.
But of course, butter and bacon slices?
These two ingredients can make anything taste better!
Imagine juicy sausages wrapped in smoky, crispy bacon and covered in a buttery, sweet glaze. You’ll be lying to yourself if you declare, ” Just one more” after a piece.
I’ve also shared some tips later in this read to keep things from getting too greasy, as well as how you can avoid getting burnt sugar all over the baking dish.
If you want to give your bacon-wrapped sausages a twist, don’t hesitate to wrap them with other ingredients, such as chilis and fruits. You can even serve them with different dips and side dishes.
Ingredients For Bacon Wrapped Smokies with Brown Sugar Glaze
- Smokies – Any cocktail sausage will work for these bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar glaze! You can also serve different variations at the party.
- Bacon – Use your favorite strips of bacon. Personally, I prefer center-cut bacon as it’s less fatty. We’ll talk about other bacon options you can use later in this read.
- Butter – Look, I know it seems super indulgent, but nothing beats the real thing. Stick to dairy butter and be rewarded with the most tantalizing bacon wrapped Smokies. 🤤
- Light brown sugar – The caramelized brown sugar perfectly complements the savory bacon wrapped sausages. You’ll need a cup for the glaze plus a cup more to sprinkle on top of your bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter.
Tools Needed To Prepare Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smoked Sausages
- Knife for cutting the bacon strips
- Baking dish for cooking the bacon wrapped sausages with brown sugar and butter
- Skillet for melting the butter and sugar
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Bacon Wrapped Smokies
Brown sugar substitute
You can also use a brown sugar replacement sweetener for your bacon wrapped Smokies! Just pick a brand that doesn’t have a bitter aftertaste.
Want cheesy bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar glaze? Wrap the sausage together with a piece of cheddar cheese!
Sweet, savory, and smoky…
If you ask me, the only thing missing from these brown sugar bacon-wrapped smoked sausages is a bit of kick.
Instead of just sprinkling them with brown sugar before baking, why not combine cayenne pepper and brown sugar for just the right amount of heat? 🥵
Here’s a unique take on brown sugar Smokies: Hawaiian bacon wrapped Smokies!
Just wrap a sausage and a piece of pineapple in bacon. However, secure them with a toothpick; we don’t want these tasty treats unraveling.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Smokies
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
STEP 2: Cut the strips of bacon into thirds. Wrap each sausage with bacon, then arrange the wrapped sausages in a single layer on a baking dish.
STEP 3: Melt the butter. Add half of the brown sugar and stir until combined.
STEP 4: Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture over the bacon wrapped Smokies.
STEP 5: Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the Smokies.
STEP 6: Bake the bacon wrapped Smokies for 15 to 20 minutes.
STEP 7: To crisp them up, turn the heat to 400°F and cook the Smokies for 5 minutes more.
What To Serve With Bacon Wrapped Sausages with Brown Sugar and Butter
These bacon wrapped smokies with brown sugar and butter are best enjoyed straight out of the oven. You can also place them in a slow cooker to keep them warm at the party.
But what to serve with these delicious brown sugar Smokies?
Offer different dips, such as honey mustard, buffalo sauce, chili sauce, or, my personal favorite, blue cheese dressing!
Got leftovers? The next day, you can also make a satisfying meal out of these bacon wrapped smokies.
How about pairing these sweet and savory smoked sausages with toast and scrambled eggs for breakfast?
You can even put them between buns and serve with chips on the side for lunch.
Other sides that can accompany your bacon wrapped sausages with brown sugar and butter are mac and cheese, garlic parmesan asparagus, and spinach salad.
Tips About Making Brown Sugar Smokies
- The last thing you want is to have these bacon wrapped sausages with brown sugar and butter swimming in grease on the baking dish. Consider cutting away most of the fat if your bacon strips are fatty and/or reduce the amount of butter in the recipe.
- Instead of sprinkling the bacon wrapped Smokies with sugar, roll them in sugar! The sugar will adhere better, so it won’t fall out and get burnt all over the baking dish. Pro tip: For easier clean-up, you can also line the baking dish with foil.
- Place the bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter on the baking dish, with the bacon ends facing down to prevent them from unraveling. You can also secure them with toothpicks or arrange several pieces on skewers.
- How many Lil Smokies per guest should you serve? A good rule of thumb is to count 5 Smokies per guest.
How To Store Bacon Wrapped Smokies with Brown Sugar and Butter
- Fridge: Place your bacon-wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter in an airtight container. They should keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Want to store your bacon wrapped Smokies for longer? You can freeze them in a freezer-safe container for a month.
- Reheating: My preferred reheating method for these bacon wrapped sausages with brown sugar and butter is in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes. If frozen, thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Can You Make Bacon Wrapped Smokies Ahead of Time?
Yes! In addition to needing only four ingredients, these bacon wrapped smokies with brown sugar glaze make the best appetizer for gatherings because they can be made 24 hours in advance.
Marinating in the glaze for that long also means better flavor on your Smokies.
After assembling the Smokies (before sprinkling them with brown sugar), cover the dish with plastic wrap and keep the wrapped sausages in the fridge.
On the day you’ll serve them, sprinkle or roll them in sugar and add a few more minutes to the baking time.
What Is the Best Bacon to Use for Bacon Wrapped Smokies?
The best bacon to use for bacon wrapped Smokies is center-cut bacon because it has less fat. After all, we’re already covering the Smokies in brown sugar butter glaze, so we don’t want super fatty bacon strips.
As for choosing between thick and thin slices of bacon, it’s a matter of preference.
If you want more chew on your bacon wrapped smoked sausages, opt for thick-cut bacon, but if you like them crispier, go for thin slices.
Want to make these bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter with less calories?
You can also swap pork bacon with turkey bacon for this bacon wrapped Smokies recipe!
I think peppered turkey bacon is a great match with the caramelized brown sugar.
Is White or Brown Sugar Better for This Recipe?
Brown sugar is the best choice for these bacon wrapped Smokies.
Compared to white sugar, brown sugar has a nice, rich, deep sweetness because of the molasses in it.
Also, don’t you agree that a dark-colored glaze looks more mouthwatering?
FAQ About Bacon Wrapped Smokies
What temp to bake bacon wrapped Little Smokies?
We’ll bake the bacon wrapped Smokies at 375°F. Then, to get the bacon extra crispy, increase the temperature to 400°F and cook the wrapped sausages for 5 minutes more.
How long to cook bacon wrapped Smokies?
You’ll bake the bacon wrapped Smokies for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. You can experiment with the cooking time and temperature to achieve your desired doneness or crispiness for these bacon wrapped sausages.
Can you freeze bacon wrapped Smokies?
Yes! Just arrange them in a single layer in a freezer-safe container. They should keep well in the freezer for up to a month.
Can you reheat bacon wrapped Smokies?
Sure. For refrigerated Smokies, pop them in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes. If frozen, don’t forget to thaw them in the fridge first.
How do you keep bacon wrapped Smokies crispy?
To keep your bacon wrapped smokies with brown sugar and butter nice and crispy at the party, place them in a Crock Pot set to warm.
- Gather the ingredients for your bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the strips of bacon into thirds. Wrap each sausage with bacon, then arrange the wrapped sausages in a single layer on a baking dish.
- Melt the butter. Add half of the brown sugar and stir until combined.
- Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture over the bacon wrapped Smokies.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the Smokies.
- Bake the bacon wrapped Smokies for 15 to 20 minutes.
- To crisp them up, turn the heat to 400°F and cook the Smokies for 5 minutes more.
- Worried that you'll end up with a pool of grease on the baking dish? You can use less butter on this recipe and cut away most of the fat from your bacon strips.
- Roll the wrapped sausages in sugar instead of sprinkling them with sugar. This will help the sugar adhere better to the sausages and prevent them from burning all over the baking dish.
- To keep the bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter from unraveling, you want the ends of the bacon facing down when you arrange the wrapped sausages on the baking dish. You can also pin the bacon wrapped Smokies with toothpicks or arrange several pieces on skewers.
- Make sure you have enough food for Game Day! Count 5 Smokies per guest.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 200mgSugar: 11g
Score a touchdown with these easy, 4-ingredient bacon wrapped Smokies with brown sugar and butter!
You only need to wrap each smoked sausage in bacon, cover them with butter and brown sugar, and bake until juicy inside and crispy outside.
These sausages might be mini, but they’re big on delicious sweet, smoky, and salty flavors. They’re everything a wonderful finger food should be for Game Day: quick, tasty, and crowd-pleasing.
Love these bacon wrapped Smokies? Here are more football food ideas to get you excited about hosting Game Day. You can also choose from any of these: