This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Try this viral accordion potatoes recipe for a fun and fancy twist on oven-roasted potatoes. These crispy accordion potatoes are actually easier than they look!
A new potato craze is taking over TikTok, and it’s this accordion potatoes recipe.
The trend elevates roasted potatoes not just in looks but the fancy shape also makes the garlicky and buttery potatoes crispier! And best of all, accordion potatoes are actually easy and fun to make!
Get a pair of bamboo skewers and satisfy your potato cravings with this viral potato accordion recipe.
What Are Accordion Potatoes?
Accordion cut potatoes are slices of potatoes scored with vertical and diagonal lines to create an accordion shape when stretched out. Then, they’re brushed with garlic butter, herbs, and seasonings before being cooked into crispy bliss in the oven.
Got no oven? I’ve also included tips on how to make delicious accordion potatoes in the air fryer below! 😉
But why not just slice the potatoes as usual?
Well, this potato accordion recipe is not only a nice change from roasted, fried, or baked potatoes in terms of presentation. The viral TikTok accordion potatoes recipe also makes it easier to get perfectly crispy and buttery potatoes because of the unique cut.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you love hasselback potatoes, these accordion potatoes will make you swoon. You also wouldn’t want to miss out on these:
- Fun Recipe: This accordion potatoes recipe is easier than it looks! You only need to score potatoes between skewers, and I promise you’ll have a lot of fun stretching out the potato accordions.
- Impressive Dish: The intricate pattern on these accordion potatoes will surely wow your guests and loved ones. The eye-catching dish is a fun way to elevate everyone’s favorite spud.
- Crispy and Yummy: It’s easy to love potatoes in any shape or form, but these perfectly crispy accordion potatoes coated in garlic butter with Italian herbs will leave any potato lover wanting more.
What Do Accordion Potatoes Taste Like?
Just like how a real accordion is full of rich sounds, potato accordions are packed with flavors.
Each piece is coated in a rich and savory garlic butter herb mixture that would have you licking your fingers if it weren’t for the potatoes being in skewers, haha.
Butter, garlic, and crispy potatoes just go well together, but this accordion potatoes recipe even takes the flavor up a notch by adding fresh parsley, Italian seasoning, paprika, and good old salt and pepper. 🤤
And, of course, these deliciously seasoned potatoes are crisped to perfection in the oven thanks to their fancy accordion cuts.
Are Crispy Accordion Potatoes Healthy?
Like our favorite potato comfort foods: hasselback potatoes, roasted potatoes, baked potatoes, and fried potatoes, these accordion potatoes are not exactly packed with nutrients like a bowl of leafy greens.
Coating the crispy accordion potatoes in butter also means additional calories. 😅
However, you can always enjoy these delicious potatoes in moderation and eat them with nutritious dishes. For example, they can be your side to fish and vegetables for a complete meal.
Overall, being mindful of your portions is the best way to enjoy the trending accordion potatoes recipe. After all, potatoes are also rich in vitamin C and potassium, so they’re not just starchy and high in carbs.
What Are The Benefits Of This Potato Accordion Recipe?
Crispy accordion potatoes are essentially fancier hasselback potatoes crossed with garlic butter roasted potatoes. And as a potato lover myself, that brief description is enough to make me bring out the skewers and knife to prepare my russet potatoes for this viral dish.
The intricate accordion pattern may seem complicated, but it’s surprisingly fun to do.
You just slice your potatoes into rectangles, place them between a pair of skewers, and score both sides.
It’s hard to go back to the typical potato slices once you realize how easy it is to make these impressive accordion potatoes.
And if you don’t have an oven but want to try the TikTok craze, you can also make the potato accordion recipe in the air fryer! 😋
Ingredients For This Accordion Potatoes Recipe
- Potatoes – You can use any large potatoes, but the starchy russet potatoes are perfect for the crispiest accordion potatoes.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter so you don’t end up with very salty potatoes!
- Garlic – Fresh minced garlic always tastes better, especially in butter.
- Parsley – We’ll also use fresh parsley for the best aroma and flavor on the spuds.
- Italian seasoning – You can use any mix of seasonings and spices, but garlic butter with Italian seasoning is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. 👌
- Ground black pepper – Season your potato accordions to taste with pepper and salt.
- Paprika – For a nice kick on the savory and buttery potatoes.
- Salt – You can also sprinkle your freshly cooked crispy accordion potatoes with more salt before serving.
Tools Needed To Prepare This Accordion Potatoes Recipe
- Vegetable brush for cleaning the potatoes
- Paper towels for drying the potatoes
- Skewers for supporting and skewering the potatoes
- Knife for slicing and scoring the potatoes
- Parchment paper for lining the baking tray
- Bowl for mixing the garlic butter and herbs
- Basting brush for coating the potatoes with garlic butter
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Accordion Potatoes
Will these accordion potatoes still get crispy and tasty if I don’t use butter? Yes!
What better way to dress up your crispy garlic butter accordion potatoes than parmesan cheese? Crispy garlic parmesan potatoes straight out of the oven plus Netflix, anyone? 😋
For the ultimate comforting dish, I like to add bacon bits to my crunchy accordion potatoes. This bacon is also keto and paleo-friendly!
How to Make Accordion Potatoes
- 4 large potatoes
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your accordion potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 2: Wash the potatoes under running water, then scrub them with a vegetable brush to remove any hidden dirt. Rinse them again and pat dry with a paper towel before peeling.
STEP 3: Cut both ends of the peeled potatoes, then slice them lengthwise. Your potato rectangles should not be larger than ½ inch so they’ll be easier to cut and cook.
STEP 4: Place the potato slices in a bowl of cold water so they won’t turn brown. This also helps create extra crispy potatoes as it reduces the starch content of the cut potatoes.
STEP 5: Place a potato slice between a pair of skewers to keep the knife from slicing the potato all the way through. Cut vertical lines along the potato.
STEP 6: Turn the potato over, then make diagonal cuts.
STEP 7: Stretch the potato carefully to reveal the accordion shape.
STEP 8: Rinse the accordion potatoes in a bowl of water. Drain completely.
STEP 9: Push a skewer on each potato accordion, then arrange the finished potatoes on your parchment-lined baking sheet.
STEP 10: Combine melted butter, minced garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, pepper, paprika, and salt in a bowl. Brush the mixture on both sides of the potato accordions.
STEP 11: Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Adjust the cooking time as needed until the potatoes are golden brown with crispy edges.
STEP 12: Cool for a few minutes before serving to keep the accordion shape intact.
What To Serve With Accordion Cut Potatoes
These buttery accordions are also the perfect potato side dish, especially with chicken and pasta. And for the best and easiest chicken and pasta dishes, you’ll love our collection of viral TikTok recipes.
Tips About Making Crispy Accordion Potatoes
Worried about not getting the perfect accordion cut potatoes? Here are some key points to remember:
- Some recipes recommend ½ inch slices for the accordions, but it’s easier to work with ¼ inch potato rectangles. Plus, they crisp up nicely in the oven because of the smaller size.
- Score the potatoes with lines relatively close to each other for the perfect accordion shape. And while working on the potatoes, don’t forget to keep the sliced ones in cold water to remove the excess starch for the crispiest potatoes!
- This accordion potatoes recipe cook the potatoes in the oven for 30 minutes, but you can extend it to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes and oven strength.
How To Store Potato Accordions
If you have leftovers, here are what you can do to keep your crispy accordion potatoes in tip-top shape:
- Fridge: After cooling (this is important to keep your potatoes crispy!), place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge. I recommend consuming the potato accordions within 2 days for the best quality.
- Freezer: Can you freeze accordion potatoes? Absolutely! Just wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and store them in the freezer for up to 1 week.
- Reheating: To make your accordion potatoes crispy again, reheat them in the oven for 5 minutes at 350°F!
How To Cook Accordion Potatoes
You can make this potato accordion recipe in the oven or air fryer. They should get nice and crispy in a preheated oven (400°F) for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping halfway through or at 375°F in the air fryer for 15 minutes. 😉
How Long To Bake Accordion Potatoes
The baking time for crispy accordion potatoes can be anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes. My tip is to wait until their edges have crisped up.
FAQ About This Potato Accordion Recipe
How to cut accordion potatoes?
The secret to making accordion potatoes is to place the potato slice between skewers to keep the knife from cutting all the way through. Make vertical slices on one side, then work diagonal cuts on the other.
Can you make accordion potatoes in the air fryer?
Those who don’t have an oven can still make crispy accordion potato skewers! Just air fry for 15 minutes at 375°F, but you can always extend the cooking time until they’re golden brown.
Can you make the potato accordion recipe ahead of time?
Since scoring the potatoes takes the most time, you can make the potato accordions in advance Just place the already-cut potatoes in a bowl of water for up to 3 days in the fridge (remember to change the water daily!)
- Gather the ingredients for your accordion potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the potatoes under running water, then scrub them with a vegetable brush to remove any hidden dirt. Rinse them again and pat dry with a paper towel before peeling.
- Cut both ends of the peeled potatoes, then slice them lengthwise. Your potato rectangles should not be larger than ½ inch so they’ll be easier to cut and cook.
- Place the potato slices in a bowl of cold water so they won’t turn brown. This also helps create extra crispy potatoes as it reduces the starch content of the cut potatoes.
- Place a potato slice between a pair of skewers to keep the knife from slicing the potato all the way through. Cut vertical lines along the potato.
- Turn the potato over, then make diagonal cuts.
- Stretch the potato carefully to reveal the accordion shape.
- Rinse the accordion potatoes in a bowl of water. Drain completely.
- Push a skewer on each potato accordion, then arrange the finished potatoes on your lined baking sheet.
- Combine melted butter, minced garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, pepper, paprika, and salt in a bowl. Brush the mixture on both sides of the potato accordions.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Adjust the cooking time as needed until the potatoes are golden brown with crispy edges.
- Cool for a few minutes before serving to keep the accordion shape intact.
- The potato rectangles should be around ¼ inch, so they’ll be easier to cut and crisp up in the oven. When scoring them, slice the lines relatively close to each other for the perfect accordion shape.
- After cutting, don’t forget to place the potatoes in cold water to keep them from turning brown. This also removes the excess starch for the crispiest accordion potatoes.
- Adjust the cooking time between 30 to 40 minutes or until the potato accordions have crispy edges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Make your garlic butter potatoes extra special with the viral TikTok accordion potatoes recipe.
You only need to score potato slices over skewers and stretch them out to reveal the impressive and intricate accordion pattern. It’s surprisingly easy to do, and the cutting style helps make the roasted potatoes crispier.
These fancy-looking potatoes are also air fryer-friendly! Just air fry for 15 minutes at 375°F to golden brown perfection. 😍
If you love this accordion potato recipe, here are the next best dishes to try: