This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Indulge in this beautiful blue matcha latte infused with butterfly pea flowers. It’s the perfect blend of delicious and healthy in every cup!
I dare you to find a drink more magical than this blue matcha latte!
The mesmerizing 5-ingredient matcha latte gets its stunning blue shade from butterfly pea flowers and nothing else. But hold on…
There’s more to this blue matcha latte recipe than meets the eye! The enchanting beverage has many health benefits, all wrapped in a delightful blend of butterfly pea flower extract, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon.
You can even make your blue matcha vegan! Learn everything below:
What Is Blue Matcha Latte?
Blue matcha latte is the latte version of butterfly pea flower tea, and it’s a drink with many nicknames. Some are as literal as “blue latte,” “blue moon latte,” and “butterfly pea latte,” while others sound like they’re straight out of a fantasy novel: “mermaid latte,” “moon milk,” and for my Star Wars fans, “Blue Bantha milk.”
The good news is you don’t need to search for banthas to enjoy the enchanting blue drink.
The secret? Butterfly pea flowers or Clitoria ternatea!
Besides using blue flowers, making blue matcha latte is pretty much the same as any matcha latte recipe. Continue reading below to learn how to use actual butterfly pea flowers.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You’re only 6 minutes and 5 ingredients away from a delightful concoction made from butterfly pea flowers! These three things will have you saying, “I love you very match-a” to blue matcha 😉:
- Easy: Would you believe this blue matcha latte recipe only needs 5 ingredients? Even if you decide to use butterfly pea flowers instead of butterfly pea matcha powder, it’s still an easy recipe you can whip up in 6 minutes!
- Healthy: Magical meets nourishing in this blue matcha latte. Besides the beautiful blue hue, butterfly pea flowers are also rich in antioxidants and may even aid in weight loss!
- Customizable: Add your favorite flavors and make each cup of homemade blue matcha uniquely yours. You can even swap the dairy milk with any milk of choice or make the drink vegan by using plant-based milk!
What Does Blue Matcha Taste Like?
Blue matcha has a subtly sweet flavor that I personally think is best enjoyed warm for a cozy and relaxing afternoon.
Does blue matcha taste like regular matcha?
Blue matcha tastes more floral, almost similar to chamomile. You will also taste the familiar earthiness of green tea, but it’s not as strong.
For me, the sweet and fragrant flavors of vanilla, maple syrup, and cinnamon are really what make this blue matcha latte crave-worthy.
I’m sure you’ll be a blue matcha latte fan on the first sip!
But for those still loyal to green matcha, I have a recipe for you!
Try our dalgona matcha latte recipe. It’s a sweet, creamy concoction featuring matcha’s delicious earthy flavor as a whipped foam over cold milk. 🤤
It’s like the viral dalgona coffee that swept the internet but with green tea!
Is This Blue Matcha Latte Recipe Healthy?
More than its pretty looks, another reason why the blue matcha latte is a must-try drink is that it’s packed with health benefits.
Just like its green “sibling,” blue matcha is rich in antioxidants that can protect us from diseases.
You may also find a common question regarding this heavenly blue tea: Can it help with weight loss?
A study suggests that the extract from butterfly pea flowers may slow down fat cell formation. This is really promising, but keep in mind that weight loss itself is very complex.
You still want to consult your qualified healthcare provider so they can help you structure the best program that will help you lose weight safely and effectively.
What Are The Benefits Of Blue Matcha?
Blue matcha latte, blue moon milk, butterfly pea latte, whatever you call it, is comfort in a cup!
The delicate but balanced blend of earthy and floral butterfly pea flowers with maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon in a perfectly frothy latte is like a warm embrace but for your taste buds.
Making the recipe is also a breeze, and you can easily customize it to suit your vegan cravings!
But beyond its beautiful color and delicious flavor, blue matcha latte is also nutritious, thanks to the antioxidant-packed butterfly pea flowers.
Their extract even has the potential to support weight loss goals, which leaves me wondering…
With the right diet and exercise, this mermaid latte might help us achieve the enviable #bodygoals of mermaids themselves! 😂
Ingredients For Blue Matcha Latte
- Dairy milk – You can actually use your favorite milk for this blue matcha latte recipe! Just keep in mind NOT to bring it to a boil when heating it over your stovetop.
- Butterfly pea flowers – Blue butterfly pea flowers are now easy to find, and for convenience, you can just order from Amazon. If you have a blender, you can also do this recipe with butterfly pea flower powder and mix everything until the blue latte is free from clumps.
- Vanilla extract – A delicious addition to the gentle floral-sweet taste of blue matcha.
- Maple syrup – Maple syrup adds more sweetness to this latte recipe. If you want healthier options, substitute it with a natural sweetener like agave syrup or honey!
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is a fragrant, sweet, and woody spice that perfectly complements blue matcha latte. Plus, adding a pinch on top of the froth just makes the drink Instagram-worthy!
Tools Needed To Prepare Blue Matcha Latte
- Small saucepan for warming up the latte
- Wooden spoon for stirring the ingredients
- Whisk for mixing the blue matcha latte until frothy
- Strainer for removing the butterfly pea flowers after infusing the milk
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Blue Matcha Latte Recipe
Want a vegan blue matcha latte? Swap dairy milk with almond milk!
The nutty taste is also perfect with the floral notes and sweetness of blue matcha. 😋
If you don’t have maple syrup or you’re looking for a healthier sweetener, you can use honey or agave for your blue matcha latte. But honestly, even without an additional sweetener, this blue matcha will still be tasty!
Chocolate whipped cream
Chocolate adds a fun and delicious twist to this blue matcha latte recipe. But how can you incorporate it without overpowering the delicious floral flavor of butterfly pea flowers?
How to Make Blue Matcha Latte
- 1 cup dairy milk
- ½ to 1 tsp butterfly pea flowers, dried (about 5-10 dried flowers)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your blue matcha latte recipe.
STEP 2: Pour your milk, dried butterfly pea flowers, and vanilla extract into a small saucepan. Stir until the vanilla extract is well incorporated into the milk.
STEP 3: Warm the ingredients over medium-low heat. Stir the milk occasionally so it won’t form a film layer on top.
STEP 4: Heat for about 5 minutes to infuse the milk and turn it blue. Reduce the heat if the milk begins to boil.
STEP 5: Filter out the flowers with a strainer.
STEP 6: Stir in the maple syrup. Whisk the blue latte constantly until lightly frothy.
STEP 7: Pour into a glass mug and garnish with a pinch of cinnamon. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Blue Matcha
Serve this beautiful blue matcha latte with your favorite pastries or desserts!
A cold glass of blue matcha will pair deliciously with vanilla buttercream cake, while a warm cup of this mermaid latte is just heavenly with white chocolate chip cookies. 🤤
Butterfly pea flower tea or blue tea is also popularly enjoyed with lemon, so you can try this beverage with our easy vegan gluten-free lemon bars.
And if you’re looking for something fruity to complement the sweet and floral taste of your homemade Blue Bantha milk, I highly recommend these TikTok blueberry cookies! Just imagine how beautiful your table will look with purple cookies and blue matcha tea! 😋
Speaking of TikTok desserts, do you want to know what trending recipes are worth the hype? Visit our collection of the best viral TikTok recipes for the best dishes worthy of likes and shares!
Tips About Making Blue Matcha Latte
Blue matcha latte won’t make you feel blue with how easy it is to make. Here are some helpful tips you can remember:
- Bringing your milk to a mild simmer with a bit of steam is best for this blue matcha latte recipe. You don’t want it boiling, and remember to keep stirring when warming the milk, or it will form a film layer on top.
- It’s completely optional, but if you want an Instagram-worthy foam top on your blue matcha, use a milk frother!
- I prefer it as a warm drink, but you can also enjoy your non-caffeinated blue matcha latte cold. Just allow it to cool, then serve it in a glass filled with ice! 🧊
How To Store Blue Matcha
I have one rule for this 5-ingredient blue matcha latte: the fresher, the better.
I recommend just making a fresh batch each time for the best experience with blue matcha. This fun recipe is quick and easy anyway!
Remember that this is a butterfly pea flower latte recipe, and the perfect foam at the top will eventually disintegrate if left sitting for too long!
Where To Buy Butterfly Pea Powder And Flowers?
While blue matcha is not as commonly known as green matcha, dried butterfly pea flowers and butterfly pea powders are actually easy to find!
You can also check the stores in your area that typically sells organic and natural products.
Is Blue Matcha The Same As Green Matcha?
Blue matcha is not the same as green matcha.
While they’re both called matcha, they do not share the same ingredients.
Blue matcha got its beautiful blue color from butterfly pea flowers, while green matcha…can you guess where it’s from? Green tea leaves!
Green matcha also contains caffeine and tastes stronger compared to the subtle flavor of blue matcha. And if you can’t drink caffeinated drinks, good news!
Blue matcha or mermaid matcha is caffeine-free!
Is Blue Matcha The Same As Butterfly Pea Powder?
Blue matcha is the same as butterfly pea flower powder. If you can’t find butterfly pea flower powder in the store or online, just search for blue matcha!
FAQ About Blue Matcha Latte
Does blue matcha have caffeine?
Nope! Blue matcha is caffeine-free. This makes it a delicious alternative to decaf coffee.
Does blue matcha help with weight loss?
Blue matcha may help with weight loss based on the fact that some studies found the flower extract’s effect on fat cell formation. However, many factors affect the weight loss of every individual, and further research is needed to understand blue matcha’s benefits for weight loss.
What are the side effects of blue tea?
Blue tea or butterfly pea flower tea is generally safe. Still, it’s best to enjoy it in moderation because some people report upset stomachs after drinking large amounts of blue tea.
- Gather the ingredients for your blue matcha latte recipe.
- Pour your milk, dried butterfly pea flowers, and vanilla extract into a small saucepan. Stir until the vanilla extract is well incorporated into the milk.
- Warm the ingredients over medium-low heat. Stir the milk occasionally so it won’t form a film layer on top.
- Heat for about 5 minutes to infuse the milk and turn it blue. Reduce the heat if the milk begins to boil.
- Filter out the flowers with a strainer.
- Stir in the maple syrup. Whisk the blue latte constantly until lightly frothy.
- Pour into a glass mug and garnish with a pinch of cinnamon. Enjoy!
- Stir the milk constantly when warming it up so it won’t form a film layer or come to a boil. You want to bring it to a mild simmer with a bit of steam.
- You don’t need to use a blender to combine your blue matcha latte ingredients since we’re not using butterfly pea flower powder that can form clumps. However, you can froth the infused milk with a milk frother to create an Instagram-worthy foam over your blue matcha latte.
- If you want to enjoy your blue matcha latte cold, just allow it to cool, then serve it with lots of ice!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 12Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
This easy blue matcha latte recipe is your sign to try a matcha drink that’s not green!
The magical concoction, which looks like the blue sky poured into a cup, brings a comforting sweet and floral flavor in just 6 minutes with 5 ingredients.
And as you savor each sip, you can feel delighted with the thought that blue matcha also offers a wellness boost with its antioxidants.
Join the blue matcha craze and try this recipe now with butterfly pea flowers or butterfly pea flower powder!
Get your latte craving fixed beyond this blue matcha latte! Try our other irresistible drinks: