This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
These salmon sushi bake cups are a bite-sized take on the viral sushi bake trend. They’re incredibly easy to make and ready in just 35 minutes!
You have probably seen or tried the viral sushi bake trend: a deconstructed sushi roll that’s layered and baked like a casserole.
It’s incredibly easy and delicious, perfect for potlucks!
But did you know there’s a new trend on TikTok that makes baked sushi more portable?
Bring out your muffin or cupcake tin, but this time, you’ll use it for something savory.
These trendy baked salmon sushi cups are the cuter sibling of sushi bake for your on-the-go sushi cravings. Best of all, no slicing or rolling required!
What Are Sushi Bake Cups?
Sushi bake cups are portable, bite-sized baked sushi. The viral trend is made from nori sheets shaped into cups and filled with salmon and sushi rice.
But is TikTok ruining a good thing? After all, why change something that already works? (And sushi bake does not only work, it’s a viral hit!)
Sure, it’s fun to scoop out a piece from the large sushi bake tray and then wrap it in nori yourself, but don’t you have days where you just want to pick, eat, and repeat?
It’s also sometimes hard to portion the nori sheets, especially when you have guests over. 😅
And if you’re still not convinced to try sushi bake’s cuter sibling, I’m sure you will appreciate these mess-free beauties. You can serve them without utensils, so everyone can easily grab the perfect bite without leaving you a ton of dishes to wash!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Viral baked salmon sushi cups dethroned sushi bake as the Internet’s favorite baked sushi, and I’m not even mad about it. After all, who wouldn’t love a recipe that can give you the following?
- Bite-Sized Fun: Sushi bake cups are the perfect bite-sized appetizer-slash-snack. They can also be your on-the-go lunch or dinner!
- Quick And Easy: Making salmon sushi bake cups is ridiculously easy! Just assemble the nori sheets, rice, and marinated salmon in the muffin pan.
- Customizable: You can customize this simple recipe with your favorite seafood and seasonings. Make the delicious salmon cups spicier, or replace salmon with another fish!
What Do Baked Salmon Sushi Cups Taste Like?
If you love sushi bake, you’ll be obsessed with these salmon sushi bake cups!
They’re absolutely delicious, thanks to the savory salmon mixture, sticky sushi rice, incredibly umami nori sheets, and nutty sesame seeds for the perfect finish. 😋
You can even add your favorite seasonings and spices to customize your sushi bake cups!
But other than the flavors, I definitely enjoy the texture of these salmon cups.
For one, baking them creates a delectable contrast between soft and crispy. Then, the mayo adds some creaminess, and the sushi rice’s chewiness complements everything else.
Are Salmon Sushi Bake Cups Healthy?
These sushi bake cups feature salmon instead of using imitation crab like its bigger sibling. Therefore, you can enjoy a good source of protein that’s also packed with potassium, iron, and vitamins B12 and D!
However, these sushi bake cups will have higher calories than your typical sushi.
Remember that we’ll prepare the cubed salmon in mayo and soy sauce. Tasty but definitely a guilty pleasure. 😔
On the bright side, these handheld bites are filling and definitely comforting. Instead of ordering fast food, enjoy sushi cups with healthy side dishes.
What Are The Benefits Of Baked Salmon Sushi Cups?
These sushi bake cups are portable and mess-free. Of course, they would still be great for potlucks like the original sushi bake, but you won’t need utensils, and no one will fight for the last nori sheet.
You can even prepare salmon sushi bake cups for your on-the-go lunch or dinner! All you’ll need are mixing bowls and a muffin tin, and the recipe is finished in just 35 minutes.
Imagine getting your sushi cravings fixed at a fraction of the cost. But before you come at me, I’m not saying they will give you the same experience as those made by sushi chefs.
For me, they just definitely hit the spot when it’s midnight, and I’m craving sushi but not willing to risk it with gas station sushi. 😂
Ingredients For Sushi Bake Cups
- Salmon – You can use either fresh or frozen salmon as long as you remove the skin.
- Kewpie mayo – I highly recommend using kewpie mayo and not regular mayo for these baked salmon sushi cups. This Japanese mayonnaise is richer with more sweetness and tang, perfect for the umami flavors of this recipe.
- Sushi rice – Even though we won’t be doing any rolling with this fun take on sushi, these sushi cups will be more enjoyable with the sticky and chewy texture of sushi rice.
- Rice vinegar – We’ll use a dash of rice vinegar on the cooked rice. The acidity and sweetness from the sushi rice with rice vinegar balance the richness and saltiness of the marinated salmon and nori.
- Soy sauce – You can use a low-sodium variant or swap with coconut aminos!
- Salt – We’ll also be seasoning the rice with some salt.
- Sesame seeds – The sprinkling of sesame seeds is the perfect finishing touch to these sushi bake cups.
- Green onions – Optional for garnish, but the onion flavor also tastes great with salmon.
- Nori sheets – You may need to cut each sheet of seaweed into perfect squares so they’ll fit better in the muffin compartments.
- Non-stick cooking spray – For greasing the muffin pan and keeping the nori sheets from sticking into the cups.
Tools Needed To Prepare Sushi Bake Cups
- Mixing bowls for combining the ingredients
- Kitchen shears for cutting the nori sheets
- Muffin pan for baking the salmon sushi bake cups
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Sushi Bake Cups
If you don’t have fresh salmon, tuna is the next best fish for this viral TikTok recipe. Some even said that canned tuna would work, but you can never beat the taste of fresh tuna.
Chili garlic oil
Broiling these sushi bake cups for a few seconds will give them a nice, crispy top. But what if we hit two birds with one stone using crunchy garlic chili oil as a topping?
The garlic bits add crunch to the salmon sushi bake cups, and the chili oil gives the dish the right amount of heat. 🤤
These sushi bake cups get their creaminess from the kewpie mayo on the salmon, but for the ultimate mouthwatering goodness, top them with fresh avocado slices before serving! The touch of color also makes these sushi cups perfect for your Instagram feed!
How to Make Salmon Sushi Bake Cups
- ½ lb salmon, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp kewpie mayo
- 2 cups sushi rice, cooked
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ⅓ cup green onions, chopped
- Nori sheets
- Non-stick cooking spray
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your baked salmon sushi cups.
STEP 2: Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease the muffin pan lightly.
STEP 3: Combine salmon, mayonnaise, and soy sauce in a large bowl. Set aside.
STEP 4: Cut the nori sheets equally so they’ll fit better in the muffin pan. Place the nori sheets in each cup of the muffin pan.
STEP 5: In another bowl, mix rice, rice vinegar, and salt.
STEP 6: Fill each nori cup with the rice mixture.
STEP 7: Top the rice with the marinated salmon.
STEP 8: Sprinkle the sushi cups with sesame seeds.
STEP 9: Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Once done, cool for 5 minutes before removing the sushi bake cups from the muffin pan.
STEP 10: Garnish with green onions and serve.
What To Serve With Salmon Sushi Cups
Serve these salmon sushi bake cups with miso soup or kani salad to balance their rich, savory flavor. They will also pair well with fried tofu, tempura, and pork gyoza!
But if you’re looking for other easy and trendy recipes, you can browse our collection of the best viral TikTok recipes.
Try these sushi bake cups with another fun and viral dish like Asian cucumber salad, which puts a twist, literally and figuratively, on garlic sesame cucumber salad. 😋
And to push everything down, the best drink would be green tea. Try dalgona matcha latte to satisfy your matcha cravings in the style of viral dalgona coffee!
Tips About Making Baked Salmon Sushi Cups
Making baked salmon sushi cups is as fun as eating them. Here are some additional helpful tips for the process:
- Instead of arranging everything in the muffin pan, you can assemble each nori square with rice first, then put those “rice cups” in the muffin pan. This tip is especially useful for those who crack and tear the crisp sheet when placed in the muffin tin.
- I highly recommend sushi rice for baked salmon sushi cups. But if unavailable, Jasmine rice is another sticky rice that will work well for this recipe.
- Try putting your baked salmon sushi cups on broil for the last 30 seconds of their baking time. This makes the salmon a bit crispy. 😋
How To Store Sushi Bake Cups
Can you make baked salmon sushi cups in advance? Can you freeze sushi bake cups? Remember these storage guidelines for the viral food trend:
- Fridge: Transfer your cooled sushi bake cups to an airtight container. They will keep well in the fridge for up to 2 days!
- Freezer: Like sushi bake, I don’t recommend freezing salmon sushi cups because the textures will just be off. 🤢
- Reheating: To reheat your leftover sushi bake cups, just warm them up in the microwave. But if you are feeling lazy, they’re still enjoyable straight out of the fridge!
What Is Sushi Bake Made Of?
Sushi bake is sushi roll meets casserole. It’s made from typical sushi roll ingredients: short-grain rice, rice vinegar, seaweed sheets, and imitation crab.
But because it’s more like a casserole, sushi bake is creamier thanks to kewpie mayo and cream cheese. The flavor complexity added by sriracha and Furikake seasoning also makes baked sushi highly addictive!
If that description had you drooling, this is your sign to jump on the baked sushi trend and try this easy sushi bake recipe at home!
FAQ About Salmon Bake Cups
What salmon goes in sushi?
Alaskan salmon species are usually the ones used for sushi. For these salmon bake cups, use boneless skinless salmon fillets.
What temperature do you cook salmon in the oven?
The best temperature for oven-baked salmon will depend on your preferred doneness. Some are already pleased with 350°F for a pinkish-white fillet, but you can also bake salmon at 400°F if you like your salmon with crispy skin.
Can you eat leftover sushi bake?
Yes! You can eat leftover sushi bake if stored properly in the fridge. However, it’s best consumed within 3 days for the best texture and flavor.
- Gather the ingredients for your baked salmon sushi cups.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease the muffin pan lightly.
- Combine salmon, mayonnaise, and soy sauce in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the nori sheets equally so they’ll fit better in the muffin pan. Place the nori sheets in each cup of the muffin pan.
- In another bowl, mix rice, rice vinegar, and salt.
- Fill each nori cup with the rice mixture.
- Top the rice with the marinated salmon.
- Sprinkle the sushi cups with sesame seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Once done, cool for 5 minutes before removing the sushi bake cups from the muffin pan.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.
- Are your nori sheets cracking when you put them in the muffin pan? You can fill them with rice first, fold the sides to shape them into ”cups,” and then place each piece in the muffin pan.
- I highly recommend using sushi rice for the best taste and texture on your sushi bake cups. But if you can’t find sushi rice, any sticky rice like Jasmine rice will work too!
- Do you like your salmon sushi cups a bit crispy on top? Just put them on broil for the last 30 seconds of their baking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 61Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Make sushi bake portable and mess-free with the latest popular food trend: sushi bake cups!
The viral TikTok hack reshapes nori sheets into the perfect cups for holding sushi rice and marinated salmon. How clever is that?
It’s so easy because you only need to assemble everything on the muffin cup.
You can even swap ingredients and add your favorite toppings to customize your salmon sushi “muffins.” 🤤
If you like these sushi bake cups, I recommend trying other viral recipes from TikTok. Here are some of our favorites: