This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
This easy Instant Pot sushi rice recipe will give you the best sushi rice for sushi rolls and more. It’s perfectly seasoned, sticky, and glossy every time!
Discover a foolproof way to make the best sushi rice for sushi rolls and sushi bowls: Instant Pot sushi rice!
Yup, it’s possible to get glossy and sticky sushi rice with delicious flavor EVERY SINGLE TIME using the multicooker we love.
Once you try this method, you won’t go back to using the stovetop.
What Is Instant Pot Sushi Rice?
Instant Pot sushi rice is basically sushi rice made easy. Why?
It’s cooked in the Instant Pot instead of the stovetop! And with this recipe, we’ll teach you how to cook with high and low pressure, so you can choose whichever you prefer.
Using the Instant Pot for sushi rice is the perfect cooking method since you don’t need to do any guesswork to ensure your sushi rice won’t come out mushy or gummy.
However, if you want your sushi rice-making endeavor to be a success story, read this entire thing to know why rinsing the rice grains and mixing the cooked rice with seasonings are the most crucial steps for the perfect homemade sushi rice.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You will love this Instant Pot sushi rice recipe because it’s:
- Foolproof: Using the Instant Pot to make sushi rice is just genius! It takes away the guesswork compared to cooking on the stovetop. And best of all, your sushi rice will be ready in just 20 minutes with this cooking method.
- Perfection Every Time: No need to be intimidated by sushi rice because your Instant Pot will cook it for you! Just follow our expert tips, and you can be confident that your rice will come out delightfully sticky and flawlessly seasoned. 😋
- Versatile Recipe: Unlock a world of delicious possibilities with this versatile Instant Pot sushi rice recipe. Whether you’re craving a poke bowl or onigiri, this perfectly cooked sushi rice won’t disappoint!
What Does Sushi Rice Taste Like?
This sushi rice Instant Pot recipe will give you the perfect balance of sour, salty, and sweet in every bite.
With only a short waiting time, the Instant Pot will reward you with glossy and sticky sushi rice, perfect for your favorite sushi toppings and fillings!
But of course, you must use high-quality sushi rice for the best taste and texture.
And while sushi rice delivers some sourness, saltiness, and sweetness, remember that these flavors should only be mild. They are only present to balance and complement the ingredients in the sushi, so follow our recipe to a tee. 😉
Is This Instant Pot Sushi Rice Recipe Healthy?
Sushi rice has a high glycemic index compared to other types of rice. This means it’s a fantastic (and, of course, delicious) way to get a burst of energy. 😋
It’s also a good source of B vitamins!
However, we all know the dilemma with rice, and like any high-carb food item, its portions are best enjoyed responsibly.
As a rice (and sushi rice) lover myself, I know the mix of sticky, sweet, and slightly sour is irresistible. So to make this Instant Pot sushi rice more wholesome, I suggest trying it with recipes like bibimbap.
You can eat it with chicken and assorted veggies for a balanced and nutritious meal!
What Are The Benefits Of Sushi Rice In Instant Pot?
This Instant Pot sushi rice recipe is a quick, easy, and hassle-free way to make the perfect rice for your sushi needs.
The Instant Pot will deliver perfectly cooked, sticky, and flavorful sushi rice every single time!
Just imagine how much you can save in the long run if you make sushi rolls and rice bowls at home instead of going out or getting deliveries.
Indeed, this pressure cooker rice is a must-have addition to your cooking repertoire.
Ingredients For This Sushi Rice Instant Pot Recipe
- Sushi rice – We’re using Nishiki rice, but any high-quality Japanese rice is perfect for this Instant Pot sushi rice recipe.
- Cold water – Of course, rice needs water to cook. Scroll down a bit further and find out the best rice-to-water ratio!
- Unseasoned rice vinegar – Vinegar is a crucial ingredient for making sushi rice. It helps make the grains sticky and also adds flavor to the rice.
- Salt – To season the sushi rice.
- Sugar – Balances the saltiness and acidity in the sushi rice.
Tools Needed To Prepare This Sushi Rice Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot for cooking the sushi rice
- Mixing bowls for cleaning the rice grains and mixing the sushi rice with seasonings
- Strainer for rinsing the rice
- Rice paddle for mixing the sushi rice with seasonings
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Sushi Rice
It should be easy to find sushi rice as most stores label it “sushi rice.” 😅
But if unsure, you can use any short-grain rice or try our recommended Tamanishiki rice for the best experience.
Can I use white vinegar instead of rice vinegar as sushi vinegar?
Yes! However, the secret is to adjust the amount of sugar and salt in the recipe so your Instant Pot sushi rice won’t taste too vinegary.
An optional seasoning you can add to the Instant Pot when you pour in the cold water and drained rice is dashi powder. This will give a delicious umami flavor to your Instant Pot sushi rice. 😋
How to Make Instant Pot Sushi Rice
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your sushi rice.
STEP 2: Pour the rice into a mixing bowl, then cover it with water.
STEP 3: Using your fingers, swish through the rice and water to clean it.
STEP 4: Tilt the bowl on its side to drain the water, and cover the rice again with fresh water. Repeat the process of cleaning and draining the rice until the water turns clear. You can also use a mesh strainer to keep the rice from falling into the sink when draining it.
STEP 5: Make sure the rinsed rice has drained thoroughly, or allow it to dry for a few minutes until it’s no longer dripping. Then, add the rice and cold water to the Instant Pot.
STEP 6: Pressure cook the rice for 5 minutes at High Pressure. You can also use the rice setting on your Instant Pot and cook at low pressure for 12 minutes.
STEP 7: Meanwhile, combine your rice vinegar, salt, and sugar until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Microwave the mixture for a minute; you don’t need to bring it to a boil.
STEP 8: Once the rice is done, release the steam naturally for 5 to 10 minutes before manually releasing the rest.
STEP 9: Transfer the rice to a glass bowl and spread it with the rice paddle. We’re using a glass bowl as it won’t heat up quickly or impart a taste to the rice like other materials.
STEP 10: Pour the vinegar mixture over the hot rice. Gently mix until everything is well combined.
STEP 11: Allow your sushi rice to cool, and it’s ready to be used!
What To Serve With Sushi Rice
So what to serve or what can you make with this Instant Pot sushi rice recipe?
There are many ways to eat and enjoy the super easy sushi rice in Instant Pot.
For example, make rice balls or onigiri! Bibimbap and temaki would also be perfect with this sushi rice recipe.
Or, if you’re a fan of rice bowls, make donburi and poke bowls!
If you want easy recipes, we have also made a lot of delicious dishes with sushi rice.
Why not treat yourself to the best chicken teriyaki pineapple bowl? Enjoy a delicious harmony of sweet, salty, and tangy in under 30 minutes!
And if you’re hosting, you can make our portable sushi bake! These sushi bake cups are the utensil-free and mess-free version of the viral sushi bake. 🤤
Tips About Making This Instant Pot Sushi Rice Recipe
If it’s your first time making sushi rice in Instant Pot, you don’t want to miss these tips:
- Rinse the rice grains thoroughly before cooking them. This crucial process cleans them and removes the excess starch that can make the sushi rice mushy.
- Another important tip to avoid a mushy texture on your rice is to be gentle when mixing the rice and vinegar mixture. You can even use a wooden spoon to avoid damaging the rice.
- Add the vinegar mixture to the sushi rice while it’s still hot to get perfectly glossy sushi rice. Then, slice and lift horizontally and vertically instead of mixing and squashing the rice.
How To Store Sushi Rice
Can you make sushi rice in advance? How long can sushi rice sit out?
Here’s the best way to store your sushi rice:
- Fridge: Store leftover sushi rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. Make sure it has cooled completely before storage, and don’t store it for too long for the best quality.
- Freezer: Are you sure you want frozen and thawed leftover rice 🤢??? This sushi rice Instant Pot recipe is quick and easy anyway, so I suggest just making a fresh batch for whatever recipe you’ll do.
Like any cooked rice, we shouldn’t keep sushi rice out for too long because of the risk of bacterial growth. However, you can make it an hour ahead, then cover it with a damp towel so it won’t dry out.
Some also suggest refrigerating sushi rice within 2 hours if it won’t be used as soon as possible.
And to avoid ruining the amazing texture when you reheat your sushi rice, just gently warm it up in the microwave.
What Is the Ratio of Rice to Water for Sushi Rice?
The rice-to-water ratio for the perfect sushi rice is 1:1. But as you can see in this Instant Pot sushi rice recipe, we’re using more water to account for the evaporation.
Why Do You Rinse Sushi Rice Before Cooking?
Do not forget to rinse your sushi rice before cooking! This important step removes the extra starch on the rice, so you won’t end up with clumped, overly sticky sushi rice.
Why Isn’t My Sushi Rice Sticky?
Is your Instant Pot sushi rice not sticky? Make sure that you’re using the right type of rice with enough starch content and that you don’t overwash it.
You should also wait for the rice to dry so the starch has enough time to become sticky.
Why Is Vinegar Important in Sushi Rice?
Vinegar is very important in sushi rice because it gives rice the perfect flavor to balance out whatever sushi filling you’ll use.
It’s also the secret behind the mouthwatering glossy look of sushi rice.
And most importantly, vinegar helps the rice achieve the ideal sticky texture for making sushi.
Can you use any type of vinegar for sushi rice?
The best vinegar for making sushi rice is rice vinegar because of its subtle sweetness to counter the richness of sushi toppings.
FAQ About Sushi Rice
Is sushi rice better in a rice cooker?
It makes sense that sushi rice is better in a rice cooker because there’s no guesswork. However, it’s up to you to choose whatever method you’re most comfortable with.
Does sticky rice have to be cold to make sushi?
Yes! Your sushi rice should have cooled down to room temperature when making sushi. This way, it’ll be sticky enough to be formed into rolls and balls.
Can you use minute rice for sushi?
Is jasmine rice and sushi rice the same?
What rice do sushi chefs use?
The sticky and glossy Koshihikari rice is a favorite among sushi chefs.
- Gather the ingredients for your sushi rice.
- Pour the rice into a mixing bowl, then cover it with water.
- Using your fingers, swish through the rice and water to clean it.
- Tilt the bowl on its side to drain the water, and cover the rice again with fresh water. Repeat the process of cleaning and draining the rice until the water turns clear. You can also use a strainer to keep the rice from falling into the sink when draining it.
- Make sure the rinsed rice has drained thoroughly, or allow it to dry for a few minutes until it's no longer dripping. Then, add the rice and cold water to the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook the rice for 5 minutes at High Pressure. You can also use the rice setting on your Instant Pot and cook at low pressure for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine your rice vinegar, salt, and sugar until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Microwave the mixture for a minute; you don't need to bring it to a boil.
- Once the rice is done, release the steam naturally for 5 to 10 minutes before manually releasing the rest.
- Transfer the rice to a glass bowl and spread it with the rice paddle. We're using a glass bowl as it won't heat up quickly or impart a taste to the rice like other materials.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice. Gently mix until everything is well combined.
- Allow your sushi rice to cool, and it's ready to be used!
- Make sure to rinse your sushi rice well! This will not only clean it but also removes the excess starch that can make your rice mushy.
- Be gentle when folding the vinegar mixture into the rice. Some also recommend using a wooden spoon to avoid damaging the rice.
- The secret to shiny sushi rice is adding the vinegar mixture while the rice is still hot. And instead of stirring and squashing, slice and lift horizontally and vertically so every rice grain is coated with the vinegar mixture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Craving for sushi?
This Instant Pot sushi rice recipe takes away the intimidation of making delicious sushi rice at home.
The Instant Pot will do the most challenging part: the cooking. This means no more guesswork to get the best sushi rice for all your sushi rice needs!
Just remember our tips for rinsing the grains of rice and the slice-and-lift technique for folding the vinegar mixture into the sushi rice, and you’re all set!
Want to make the most of your Instant Pot sushi rice? Try our favorite recipes with it:
- Easy TikTok Baked Sushi Casserole
- Viral TikTok Sushi Wrap Recipe
- Baked Salmon Sushi Cups Recipe
- Chicken Teriyaki Pineapple Bowl Recipe
- Asian Cucumber Salad TikTok Recipe
- Instant Pot Egg Bites Recipe
PIN FOR LATER!