This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
This salted caramel milkshake is loaded with creamy vanilla ice cream, whole milk, salted caramel sauce, and whipped cream topping. Make it in just 5 minutes!
Try this homemade salted caramel milkshake recipe for the perfect drink this summer. In just five minutes, indulge in the creamiest milkshake made with delicious vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce.
We’re using whole milk for the richest salted caramel shake, then topping it off with fluffy whipped cream and more sea salt caramel sauce.
You only need four ingredients for this chilly drink, but I’m also sharing a tip to make it boozy for adults.
What Is Salted Caramel Milkshake?
This salted caramel milkshake recipe is made from vanilla ice cream, milk, and salted caramel sauce.
It’s a crowd-pleasing milkshake flavor because of the irresistible contrast between sweet and salty. The creamy vanilla ice cream and rich whole milk also make the perfect base for this indulgent chilly drink without being too overwhelming.
Before serving, don’t forget to top the delicious homemade salted caramel milkshake with some whipped cream and more salted caramel sauce!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This is my favorite milkshake recipe because it’s easy and only needs four ingredients.
And compared to milkshakes that are just sweet, this salted caramel shake recipe offers a complex flavor that kids and adults will surely be addicted to.
- Four Ingredients: This homemade salted caramel milkshake proves you don’t need many ingredients to make something delicious. I’m saving you the hassle of making your own caramel sauce because this bottled sea salt caramel is so good.
- 5-Minute Recipe: This salted caramel milkshake recipe is for you if you want a chilly drink in a snap. I’ve only used a blender, so you won’t be left with many dishes after making this delicious milkshake.
- Indulgent Drink: When I said you’d be addicted to this salted caramel shake, I’m not exaggerating. The complex combination of sweet and salty from salted caramel is actually scientifically proven to make our brains crave more!
What Does Homemade Salted Caramel Milkshake Taste Like?
This salted caramel milkshake features the fan-favorite complex flavor of salted caramel. Indulge in a rich, creamy milkshake loaded with buttery caramel and sweet vanilla.
But as you enjoy the sweetness of each sip, you’ll also get some saltiness that balances everything. This bliss you experience even has a name: hedonic escalation.
Okay, enough about science and more about this five-minute, four-ingredient salted caramel shake recipe.
I’ve used whole milk for the most decadent milkshake. But for my friends monitoring their calories, you can always make it with a low-calorie option.
And because we eat with our eyes, I’ve topped this indulgent drink with fluffy whipped cream and more salted caramel sauce.
You can definitely go over the top when decorating your glass with caramel to get that perfect Instagram snap!
Is Salted Caramel Shake Healthy?
Ice cream, milk, and caramel do not come to mind when someone asks about the healthiest drink you can make.
But if you’re treating yourself to a homemade salted caramel milkshake, you might as well go all out and use these delicious ingredients.
Sweets like this salted caramel milkshake recipe can be a part of a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and clean eating. We all need a pick-me-up occasionally, and there’s no despair in taking a sip of this indulgent drink as long as it’s in moderation.
What Are The Benefits Of This Salted Caramel Milkshake Recipe?
Going to a drive-through for a quick salted caramel milkshake fix might seem more convenient. But making your own and knowing what ingredients were used is definitely more satisfying.
You can even prepare a big batch and treat your family and friends with this delicious homemade salted caramel shake recipe.
It only takes five minutes and four ingredients to experience a scientifically-proven addictive flavor in a delicious drink.
Ingredients For Homemade Salted Caramel Milkshake
- Whole milk – I’ve used whole milk for this homemade salted caramel shake recipe to get the most indulgent milkshake. And for those who prefer thinner milkshakes, just add more milk to the recipe!
- Vanilla ice cream – Vanilla is the best ice cream to use since salted caramel is already complex. The more ice cream you use, the thicker your homemade milkshake will be.
- Whipped cream – Homemade milkshakes don’t have to look boring, so don’t forget to top your salted caramel shake with some fluffy whipped cream. Sipping through it also makes the shake creamier without the heaviness.
- Sea salt caramel sauce – Using a bottled salted caramel sauce is more convenient than preparing tons of ingredients and trying to avoid burning the sugar. It also stores longer, so you can keep it until your next homemade salted caramel milkshake.
Tools Needed To Prepare Salted Caramel Shake
- Measuring cups and spoons for measuring the salted caramel milkshake ingredients
- Blender for mixing the delicious ingredients
- Glass for serving the homemade salted caramel milkshake
If you plan on making more milkshakes at home, I highly recommend checking the best blender for milkshakes to find the best value-for-money blender.
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Salted Caramel Shake Recipe
The perfect blend of vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce will pair deliciously with rich, dark chocolate. Try blending the salted caramel milkshake ingredients with these dark chocolate sea salt caramel squares, and thank me later!
Make your homemade salted caramel shake experience more memorable with crunchy toffee bits. When decorating your milkshake glass, you can also dip its rim in caramel and more toffee bits.
Another delicious crunchy addition you can try with this salted caramel milkshake recipe is pretzels. Break a few pieces and top them over your milkshake before serving.
How to Make Homemade Salted Caramel Milkshake
- 150 ml whole milk, cold
- 160 g vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- 2 tbsp sea salt caramel with extra sauce for decorating
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather all the ingredients for your homemade salted caramel shake.
STEP 2: Blend the ice cream and salted caramel on medium-high speed.
STEP 3: Add the whole milk and mix for 2 minutes or until thoroughly combined.
STEP 4: Decorate the glass with more caramel.
STEP 5: Pour the salted caramel milkshake into the glass.
STEP 6: Top with whipped cream and more caramel.
What To Serve With Salted Caramel Shake
Personally, I like this simple but indulgent salted caramel milkshake recipe as is, but you can also combine different toppings and mix-ins for it.
Try different fruits, nuts, sweets, or biscuits with this easy homemade salted caramel milkshake. My tip is to not go overboard with toppings, so you can still taste the salted caramel.
If you’re serving it as a dessert or drink, the salty-sweet taste of salted caramel will also pair well with savory snacks like loaded fries or bacon cheeseburgers.
Psst! Want to make other easy but indulgent drinks at home? Try these delicious recipes:
- Copycat Starbucks Caramel Brulee Latte
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Vietnamese Iced Coffee
- Tasty Mint Chocolate Irish Cream Liqueur
Tips About Making This Salted Caramel Milkshake Recipe
This four-ingredient homemade salted caramel milkshake is super easy. Here are some other tips worth noting to create the best milkshake:
- Whether you want a thicker or thinner milkshake, this salted caramel shake recipe is easy to adjust. Add more milk if you want your milkshake thin or more ice cream if you prefer a thicker one.
- Maybe you love salted caramel so much that you’re looking for a more intense salted caramel flavor on your milkshake. Swap vanilla with salted caramel ice cream, or use more sauce when blending your milkshake.
- You can always go overboard when decorating your salted caramel shake. Smear caramel inside the glass with the back of a spoon, then dip the rim in more caramel to get the Insta-worthy caramel drip effect.
How To Store Homemade Salted Caramel Shake
I recommend drinking your salted caramel milkshake as soon as possible, but some prefer it melted.
Regardless, here are some storage tips if you made it in advance or have some leftovers:
Fridge: Transfer your milkshake to a sealed container and consume it within a few hours if you’ll only store it in the fridge.
Freezer: If you plan to store your homemade salted caramel milkshake overnight, transfer it to a freezer-safe sealed container. Don’t put it in the freezer door to protect the milkshake from temperature fluctuations.
Once you’re ready to drink your salted caramel shake, move it to the fridge and let it thaw for 20 minutes or until it reaches your preferred consistency.
Remember that homemade milkshakes typically lose their taste after a month in the freezer.
Do You Need Ice Cream To Make A Milkshake?
What if I want to make this homemade salted caramel milkshake, but I don’t have ice cream? It’s not a problem because you can still make this recipe without ice cream!
Just blend the milk, salted caramel sauce, and ice cubes until frothy. It will still be creamy thanks to the whole milk, but if you want a thicker milkshake, use equal parts milk and heavy cream.
What Makes Milkshakes Thick?
Using whole milk will ensure that your homemade salted caramel milkshake will be thick. It’s also important to get the right ice cream and milk ratio because using too much milk will thin out the consistency of the shake.
Avoid the mistake of not letting the ice cream soften first. If it’s still very frozen, you’ll likely use too much milk on your milkshake.
Why Is Sea Salt And Caramel So Good?
Sea salt and caramel is an addictive combination because the contrasting flavors are not boring. We can quickly get tired of simple flavors, so the sweet and salty combination triggers the hedonic escalation.
Simply put, the complex salted caramel taste compels us to eat more because each bite is slightly different than predictable, simple flavors.
FAQ About Salted Caramel Milkshake
How to make this salted caramel milkshake boozy?
How many calories are in a salted caramel milkshake?
One serving of this homemade salted caramel milkshake has around 158 grams of calories.
What flavor goes with salted caramel?
Salted caramel goes with classic flavors like vanilla, chocolate, or even coffee. You can consider these as your ice cream flavors for this salted caramel milkshake recipe.
- Gather all the ingredients for your homemade salted caramel shake.
- Blend the ice cream and salted caramel on medium-high speed.
- Add the whole milk and mix for 2 minutes or until thoroughly combined.
- Decorate the glass with more caramel.
- Pour the salted caramel milkshake into the glass.
- Top with whipped cream and more caramel.
- This homemade salted caramel milkshake can be easily adjusted to your preferred consistency! Just add more ice cream for a thicker milkshake or more milk for a thinner milkshake.
- You can use salted caramel ice cream for a more intense caramel flavor. But if you want a versatile base, vanilla ice cream is not overpowering and can be paired with different toppings.
- Want a more picture-ready salted caramel shake? Use the back of a spoon to smear caramel inside the glass, then dip its rim in more caramel.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 7695mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 2g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
You only need five minutes and four ingredients to indulge in this homemade salted caramel milkshake!
Just blend your sea salt caramel sauce and creamy vanilla ice cream, then mix in your whole milk for a rich and delicious salted caramel shake. Don’t forget to top it off with some whipped cream and more caramel for a picture-perfect glass of milkshake.
And if you want something boozy, try this recipe with salted caramel whisky!
If you loved this salted caramel shake, I’m sure you’ll be delighted with these easy sweet recipes packed with complex flavors: