This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Enjoy McDonald’s viral purple shake at home anytime you want! This Grimace milkshake recipe is so easy to make and packed with delicious berry flavors.
Contrary to what most people think, milkshakes are not all about vanilla ice cream—they come in a variety of flavors and colors, too!
This particular milkshake recipe is inspired by the McDonald’s character Grimace and was made popular by a bizarre, seemingly brutal yet funny TikTok trend.
You’ve probably enjoyed the videos, but have you made the most out of this limited-edition drink?
Unfortunately, the Grimace milkshake is available only for a short time, so if you didn’t get to enjoy it as much as you wanted, now’s your chance!
Ready to make your own version of this purple beverage? This Grimace milkshake recipe features blueberries, raspberries, and other simple ingredients.
Trust me, this drink has no dark side—just mouthwatering, bright flavors and a captivating appearance! 😋
What Is the Grimace Milkshake Trend?
The Grimace milkshake trend is an unforgettable TikTok craze where users create humorous, horror-themed skits after sipping McDonald’s purple shake.
It has recently taken over the TikTok world and many still can’t get over it! I think this is one of the most unforgettable TikTok obsessions to date, with its surprisingly charming yet darkly humorous appeal.
So just recently, McDonald’s released this milkshake as part of the Grimace Birthday Meal promotion.
It’s a delicious berry-filled drink, so as expected, it got popular until it became ten times more so, to the point that people started making horrifically funny videos with it.
They take a sip, and the next thing you know, they’re ‘passed out’ with the shake spilling out like a scene from a playful horror spoof.
It’s all in good fun, though, with people finding creative ways to ‘overreact’ to tasting the shake.
Some of them fell over right in their living rooms, while others played it up by going completely lifeless, all for laughs, in the middle of a park. 😂
Besides the videos, the purple milkshake itself took the internet by storm. It’s creamy and satisfying—everyone loves it!
Why You’ll Love This Grimace Milkshake Recipe
- Simple milkshake recipe: Preparing this Grimace milkshake recipe comes in a snap. Just a few easy-to-find ingredients, and you’re all set. Pop them in a blender, and voila, your crave-worthy purple drink is ready to enjoy anytime.
- Customizable: If you’re mindful of your diet, there’s always the option to tweak this Grimace milkshake recipe while keeping it delicious. You can also transform it into a vegan-friendly drink and indulge in it guilt-free.
- Fun way to use berries: With frozen options at hand, you can make this refreshing beverage anytime you like. Dishes packed with the natural sweetness of berries are undoubtedly better than those loaded with refined sugar.
- Enjoy the visuals: It’s as visually stunning as it is tasty. After making this Grimace milkshake recipe, I bet you’ll spend a few seconds taking photos of your sweet accomplishment!
What Does Grimace Milkshake Taste Like?
This homemade Grimace milkshake recipe results in a creamy drink that boasts just the right amount of berry goodness.
It’s sweet but not overly so, thanks to the natural sugars in the blueberries and raspberries.
The McDonald’s version is a hit for its berry-infused flavor with a hint of that classic birthday cake vibe. However, some people feel that it leans a bit more towards the vanilla side than the berry.
But everyone seems to agree on one point: It’s irresistibly sweet with a velvety smooth texture!
This copycat recipe helps us achieve an even tastier and thicker version, since we can add as much vanilla ice cream as we want!
Go for it! It might just end up thicker and more satisfying than what you’d get at the drive-thru.
This drink reminds me so much of our Barbie milkshake. If you have some extra ingredients on hand, I recommend whipping that up as well!
Having both the Barbie and the Grimace milkshake side by side, with their vibrant colors and flavors on your table, will make you feel like you’re at a party! 🥳
What are the Ingredients for Grimace Shake?
- Frozen blueberries – These berries contribute not only natural sweetness and tartness but also amazing visual appeal. Their purple color is the highlight of this viral milkshake recipe!
- Frozen raspberries – The combination of blueberries and raspberries brings the deep signature purple shade everyone loves.
- Vanilla ice cream – The quintessential base for any classic milkshake! This makes it thicker and creamier.
- Whole milk – It contributes to the overall smoothness of our Grimace shake, preventing it from becoming overly thick or clumpy.
- Heavy cream – This adds a visually appealing, velvety layer to this drink! Admit it, a milkshake without whipped cream just seems incomplete.
- Purple food dye – An optional ingredient for those who want a more distinctive purple color.
- Rainbow sprinkles – Fun-colored sprinkles add a playful crunch to this delicious shake. Trust me, if you have kids around, the more sprinkles, the better.
Tools Needed To Prepare This Grimace Milkshake Recipe
- Blender to achieve the perfect consistency
- Spatula to help get all the milkshake out of the blender and into the glasses
- Glasses to serve the milkshakes in
- Glass straw for an aesthetically pleasing presentation
- Hand mixer to effortless whip the cream to perfection
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Grimace Shake Recipe
I think adding purple sprinkles instead of rainbow ones can bring about a darker yet more aesthetically pleasing appearance. Why not go for that look? I think it’s what sets this popular drink apart from other fruity milkshakes.
Transform this Grimace milkshake recipe into a plant-based version by using almond milk. Just keep in mind that your milk of choice can change the overall texture of your beloved drink. A plant-based shake might be less creamy, but it can still be incredibly enjoyable!
Using frozen strawberries instead of raspberries can give your drink a slightly different flavor profile, as they are sweeter and less tart. As for the color, strawberries are also vibrant red, so they can still contribute to the purple color theme!
Using strawberry jam will sweeten your milkshake more and spotlight the taste of strawberries. Keep in mind that while only a little jam is used, it plays a crucial role in the milkshake’s overall taste.
How to Make Grimace Milkshake
- 1 ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries
- 2 ½ scoops vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 4 tbsp cream, whipped for topping
- 2 drops purple food coloring (optional)
- Rainbow sprinkles for garnish (optional)
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients. Allow the vanilla ice cream to soften for around 5 minutes for more comfortable scooping.
STEP 2: In a blender, combine the berries, whole milk and softened vanilla ice cream. Blend until smooth.
STEP 3: For a more vibrant purple color, add 2 drops of food coloring and give it a quick blend to mix the color throughout.
STEP 4: Pour the milkshake into glasses.
STEP 5: Finish off your milkshake by swirling some whipped cream on top. You can also scatter some sprinkles over the cream for a whimsical look.
STEP 6: Serve immediately with a glass straw. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Grimace-Flavored Milkshake
The Grimace milkshake can be surprisingly good with savory dishes. It’s all about finding the right match.
Lighter savory creations are best, so they complement rather than compete with the milkshake’s rich flavor. Here are some savory meals that you can enjoy with this drink:
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: The subtle cheesy flavors make a cozy contrast to the beverage’s refreshing sweetness.
- Fried Foods: Lightly seasoned fried foods, like Nigerian fish rolls, also pair well with a Grimace shake.
As for pairing it with sweet meals, it can be a bit challenging because you don’t want to overwhelm the palate with sugar. However, it can work quite well when done thoughtfully!
Here are some ideas. Find easy-to-prepare variations, so you can easily whip them up before making your Grimace milkshake recipe.
- Lemon bars: The citrus burst from the lemon bars can cut through the richness of the milkshake. This combo would be particularly appealing in warmer weather, as both the lemon bars and the cool milkshake are refreshing.
- Cookies: Plain cookies are an amazing choice, but you can elevate the pairing with bacon chocolate chip cookies. The salty, smoky flavors of the bacon bits can create an intriguing contrast with the sweet, fruity milkshake.
Tips About Making the Perfect Grimace Shake
- Blend well: Start blending on a low speed to break up the berries and ice cream. Then, gradually increase to high speed. This way, you’ll get that smooth, even mix without putting too much stress on your blender.
- The Right Jam: Planning to use jam for this recipe? Choose high-quality jams with more fruit content to add a depth of flavor without overwhelming sweetness. Some are just loaded with sugar!
- Whipped Cream: For the whipped cream topping, whip your own cream and add a hint of vanilla extract. It’s fresher and fluffier than store-bought versions and makes a beautiful, tasty cloud atop your purple shake!
How To Store Your Purple Shake
Got some leftovers? It’s always best to enjoy it fresh, but don’t fret if you’ve made too much. Here’s a little guide on how to save it for later without losing the lush flavors.
- Freezer: Keep your Grimace shake in a freezer-safe container, stashed in the coldest part of your freezer.
- Thawing Time: Once you’re ready to enjoy it again, transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator. Let it sit for about 20 minutes or until it’s easy to stir. This way, you’ll have a creamy, dreamy shake with the perfect sippable texture.
- Quick Fix: Place your shake on the counter for a faster thaw. Give it a good stir every so often to check the consistency. Once it’s back to its glorious milkshake state, pour it back into a glass, maybe add some whipped cream on top, and it’s like you’ve made it all over again!
Who is Grimace?
Grimace is a fuzzy, purple mascot that was originally portrayed as a villain. He looked strange and mean-looking, without a hint of charm.
When he was first introduced in a McDonald’s marketing campaign in the early 1970s, his character was known as “Evil Grimace,” and he was obsessed with stealing milkshakes.
The kids found him scary back then! However, his character underwent a transformation from a milkshake thief to a cheerful icon of McDonald’s milkshakes, showing the fun side of enjoying the treat.
Today, he’s known as one of Ronald McDonald’s BFFs, and together, they have headlined a lot of McDonald’s-themed children’s merchandise.
Even as adults, we can still have fun making this purple shake with Grimace in mind!
Does the Grimace Shake Actually Taste Good?
Yes, absolutely. 🤤 But it all depends on your personal preferences. If you love fruit-flavored shakes and vanilla ice cream, you’re likely to enjoy it.
If there are some aspects of this homemade Grimace milkshake recipe that don’t work for you, go ahead and make some adjustments. For example, if you don’t want it to be super thick, you can reduce the amount of ice cream or skip the whipped cream.
This is a copycat version, but there’s always room for experimentation.
FAQ About Grimace Milkshake
What is the grimace shake syrup?
Why do people hate the Grimace Shake?
The Grimace milkshake trend on TikTok might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but that doesn’t mean the shake itself isn’t a hit. Many people find the milkshake absolutely delicious (unless berry treats just aren’t your thing).
What is the Grimace birthday trend?
The Grimace birthday trend on TikTok involves users creating humorous, horror-themed skits in which they pretend to experience dramatic effects after trying the milkshake.
These videos show people taking a sip of the purple shake and then pretending to pass out or play dead.
- Gather the ingredients. Allow the vanilla ice cream to soften for around 5 minutes for more comfortable scooping.
- In a blender, combine the berries, whole milk and softened vanilla ice cream. Blend until smooth.
- For a more vibrant purple color, add 2 drops of food coloring and give it a quick blend to mix the color throughout.
- Pour the milkshake into glasses.
- Finish off your milkshake by swirling some whipped cream on top. You can also scatter some sprinkles over the cream for a whimsical look.
- Serve immediately with a glass straw. Enjoy!
- When adding sprinkles, do it immediately after adding the whipped cream so they stick but don't bleed into the cream.The result? Crisp and colorful sprinkles!
- Chill your glasses. This is something that we do at home even with smoothies. Chill your glasses before pouring the milkshake to keep it cool and thicken the consistency slightly upon serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 5gSugar: 37gProtein: 6g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Milkshakes bring back some of my fondest childhood memories! I actually still enjoy fruit-flavored shakes from time to time, but I’ve got to keep things in moderation as I get older. 😅
Not interested in the brutal, spooky trend? That’s okay! This drink has such bright flavors you’ll want to enjoy it whenever you feel like satisfying your sweet tooth.
Making this Grimace milkshake recipe is also a fun activity to do with your kids, younger siblings, nephews, and nieces! I bet you always bond with them over baking cookies, but now you have another recipe to try together.
Fruit-flavored beverages are like refreshing desserts that you can savor with convenience. Here are other recipes that you might want to try soon: