This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Got overripe bananas? Turn them into the most decadent double chocolate banana bread! This super moist loaf is also loaded with chocolate for chocolate lovers.
How often have you brought some bananas home, only for them to turn brown and mushy in just a few days?
Save yourself from frustration and turn overripe brown-black bananas into this delectable double chocolate banana bread!
This fudgy take on regular banana bread is a chocolate lover’s dream. Loaded with cocoa powder and chocolate chips, your chocolate cravings will be satisfied with each super moist slice.
And best of all, the recipe is ridiculously easy!
What Is Double Chocolate Banana Bread?
Calling all chocolate and banana lovers, double chocolate banana bread is a recipe you should never miss.
Banana meets chocolate in this double chocolate banana loaf that uses ripe bananas, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. And when I tell you that it’s loaded with chocolate chips, I mean it because we’re folding the chips in the batter, then adding some more at the top before baking the fudgy perfection. 😋
Growing up, I always liked banana bread but never considered it a dessert.
And because I’m a sweet tooth, I remembered always adding something to the relatively bland banana bread, whether a scoop of vanilla ice cream or caramel syrup.
So when I saw this decadent recipe, I knew it was right up my alley ( and no extra toppings needed to turn it into a dessert!)
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a fan of bananas dipped in chocolate, banana muffins with chocolate chips, classic banana bread, or chocolate cake, this double chocolate banana loaf is for you. It’s like a cross between bread and a cake, and here are other things you wouldn’t want to miss out on:
- Decadent: Bananas are notoriously frustrating because it’s like they just waited for you to bring them home, so they can ripen as fast as they could. But instead of throwing away your mushy brown-black bananas, turn them into an extra moist, decadent banana cake loaded with chocolate using this recipe.
- Satisfying: This double chocolate banana loaf proves banana bread can be an indulgent dessert. Kids and kids at heart will surely be delighted with its fudge-like consistency.
- Adaptable: You can substitute and add different ingredients to this double chocolate banana bread recipe. Experiment with your favorite toppings, or make a gluten-free version!
What Does Double Chocolate Banana Loaf Taste Like?
Double chocolate banana bread features an indulgent combo of banana and chocolate.
Imagine the sweet taste of ripe bananas in a super moist and tender bread that is also reminiscent of a chocolate cake and fudge brownies because of the cocoa powder and extra, and I mean extra, chocolate chips. 🍫
Even if you’re not a fan of the unmistakable banana flavor in desserts, you might end up craving a slice of this loaf like you would crave a fudge brownie or chocolate cake.
But what do bananas taste like anyway? Why does their distinct flavor overpowers other ingredients in any recipe you put them in?
I’ve done the research for you, so give that a quick read, and you’ll be stunned to know that some bananas even taste like ice cream and lemons!
Is This Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe Healthy?
This double chocolate banana bread is more of a cake than a bread, so you already know the answer if it is healthy.
Yes, bananas are very nutritious because they’re a rich source of potassium and fiber. However, mashing and baking them with flour, butter, sugar, and chocolate is not exactly what dietitians will recommend for weight loss. 😅
On the bright side, enjoying a slice of this double chocolate banana loaf should not be an issue if you practice moderation.
Trust me, desserts are more rewarding and satisfying if you reserve them on days when you really need a mood boost.
What Are The Benefits Of This Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe?
This double chocolate banana bread is what a chocolate and banana bread lover’s dream looks like.
It’s as filling and delicious as classic banana bread but will satisfy your cravings for fudgy brownies and chocolate cake. 😍
I also recommend this double chocolate banana loaf recipe to friends and family because it’s a yummy way to utilize overripe bananas. Those brown, almost black bananas that are too gross to eat are actually perfect for this dessert-bread combo!
And if you’re worried about the time and effort to make this chocolatey banana bread, you’ll be pleased that the recipe is easy, and you won’t even need a stand mixer!
Ingredients For Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Bananas – The best bananas for any banana bread recipe are overripe ones. But if your available ones are still yellow, just place them inside a brown paper bag to speed up the ripening process.
- Egg – Avoid overly crumbly banana bread by using egg in the batter. Just remember to bring it to room temperature for easier incorporation.
- Butter – The secret ingredient for super moist double chocolate banana bread.
- Greek yogurt – Another key ingredient to say goodbye to dry banana bread forever. Greek yogurt also adds a tanginess that balances the sweetness of this bread-dessert hybrid.
- Vanilla extract – Any baked good is incomplete without the subtle flavor of vanilla.
- Granulated white sugar -We’re using two types of sugar for this extra chocolatey banana bread. The granulated sugar is, of course, what sweetens the recipe.
- Brown sugar – You might be familiar with using brown sugar in cookies to improve their texture and taste. And interestingly, brown sugar also does this to banana bread because it helps with getting a soft loaf with tasty caramel notes.
- All-purpose flour – Always measure your flour correctly to avoid dry or overly wet banana bread. Never scoop out of the bag!
- Cocoa powder – This double chocolate banana bread recipe is so-called because we’re also incorporating cocoa powder in the batter and not just relying on chocolate chips for the chocolate flavor.
- Baking soda – Baking powder helps the banana bread to rise and achieve a delicious, tender texture because it reduces gluten formation.
- Salt – To balance the sweetness and strengthen the structure of the perfect banana bread.
- Chocolate chips – I personally prefer the bittersweet ones over milk chocolate chips, so the rich flavor of the chocolate dessert won’t be too overwhelming. Even my “I-don’t-like-sweet-foods-as-much” partner also enjoyed this recipe!
Tools Needed To Prepare Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Loaf pan for baking the banana bread
- Parchment paper for lining the baking pan
- Fork for mashing the bananas
- Whisk for mixing the batter
- Mixing bowl for mixing the room-temperature ingredients
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Double Chocolate Banana Loaf
This double chocolate banana bread recipe already uses gluten-free baking soda, so substituting all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour will make the dessert completely gluten-free. But of course, check all the other ingredients you’ll use, especially if you have celiac disease.
Missing some crunch on your chocolate chip banana bread? This recipe will also taste exquisite with walnuts!
Peanut butter chips
If this flavorful banana bread is still not hitting the spot of your sweet tooth fantasy, add some peanut butter chips to the batter! Ugh, just imagining the rich nutty taste with moist and fudgy chocolatey banana bread is making me hungry typing this. 😫
How to Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 ½ cup ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather and measure the ingredients for the double chocolate banana bread.
STEP 2: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the loaf pan with parchment paper.
STEP 3: Mash the bananas with a fork in a large mixing bowl, then add the egg, butter, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
STEP 4: Pour the white and brown sugar into the banana mixture. Mix until the sugars disappear.
STEP 5: In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. After mixing, sift the dry ingredients into the banana mixture and whisk everything together.
STEP 6: Fold the chocolate chips into the batter to distribute them evenly.
STEP 7: Pour the batter into the parchment paper-lined loaf pan and sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
STEP 8: Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, then insert a toothpick in the center to check. Adjust the baking time until the toothpick comes out clean.
STEP 9: Let the double chocolate banana bread rest for 20 minutes to help it firm up before slicing. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Serve a slice of warm double chocolate banana bread with coffee or tea.
As someone who prefers her coffee strong, the sweet choco-banana bread is perfect with each sip of hot and bitter coffee.
You can also make this cocoa banana bread recipe more indulgent with ice cream or whipped cream. Imagine the cold ice cream slightly melting and soaking the freshly baked chocolate banana loaf slice. 🤤
But if you’re thinking of a complete meal for your family, friends, or honey, you can consider a savory dish like mac and cheese and fried chicken. The richest banana bread is the perfect ender to these comforting, hearty meals.
Here’s a no-boil mac and cheese and extra juicy chicken recipe (thank me later because these viral recipes are too easy and delicious, it’s a crime they’re just available here on the internet for free.)
You might also like this dalgona matcha, a play on the trending dalgona coffee that swept the internet.
Tips About Making This Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Baking at home can be too much work, but it doesn’t have to be that way with this recipe, thanks to these tips:
- Use brown-black bananas and mash them with a fork to achieve a pudding-like consistency. If your bananas are still yellow, ripen them quickly inside a paper bag that is loosely closed and kept in a warm area.
- Make sure your refrigerated ingredients, like egg and yogurt, are at room temperature before incorporating them into the banana bread batter. Otherwise, they won’t emulsify into the mixture as easily.
- You don’t need a hand or stand mixer for this double chocolate banana bread recipe because overmixing leads to dryness from excess gluten formation. Just mix the batter with a whisk until you can’t distinguish each ingredient individually.
How To Store Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Whether you have leftovers or you’ll be baking this double chocolate banana bread in advance as a gift for someone, keep these storage tips in mind to keep it moist and tasty:
- Fridge: This double chocolate banana bread can last up to a week in the refrigerator. Just wrap the entire loaf in plastic wrap after it has cooled completely to prevent moisture build-up.
- Freezer: If you want to store it for longer, wrap the chocolate banana loaf in aluminum foil and store it in an airtight container in the freezer. I doubt you’ll wait too long before eating this delicious dessert, but it can last frozen for three months!
- Reheating: Thaw the frozen banana bread overnight. Then, serve the decadent loaf warm by microwaving it for 30 seconds.
Is It Okay To Mix Banana And Chocolate?
It’s okay to combine banana and chocolate, so you don’t need to worry about getting a tummy ache when you try this pairing. The resulting flavor is also a crowd favorite, and it’s getting popular on smoothies, pancakes, French toast, muffins, and various baked goods!
Why Is My Banana Bread Dense And Not Fluffy?
Is your banana loaf dense and almost rubbery? I found out that this happens from excess gluten formation when you overmix the batter, so stop mixing once the dry ingredients are no longer visible in the wet mixture.
Can I Put Two Banana Breads In The Oven At Once?
It’s possible to simultaneously put two pieces of banana bread in the oven if your oven is big enough. You can also just double your favorite banana bread recipe to make two loaves, then use two baking pans of the same size.
FAQ About Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
How many bananas are in Chrissy Teigen’s banana bread?
One of the most famous banana bread recipes is Chrissy Teigen’s. It stands out from other recipes because it uses six bananas, perfect if you have a bunch of brown bananas at home.
How many calories are in double chocolate banana bar bread?
A single piece of double chocolate banana bar bread has about 158 calories.
- Gather and measure the ingredients for the double chocolate banana bread.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas with a fork in a large mixing bowl, then add the egg, butter, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the white and brown sugar into the banana mixture. Mix until the sugars disappear.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. After mixing, sift the dry ingredients into the banana mixture and whisk everything together.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter to distribute them evenly.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle more chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 minutes, then insert a toothpick in the center to check. Adjust the baking time until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the double chocolate banana bread rest for 20 minutes to help it firm up before slicing. Enjoy!
- Always use ripe, brown-black bananas when making banana bread and mash them until the consistency reminds you of a pudding.
- Bring your refrigerated ingredients to room temperature before starting the double chocolate banana bread recipe, so they’ll emulsify into the batter much easier.
- When adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, refrain from overmixing the batter, or your banana bread will become too dense and dry. Stop mixing once the ingredients are combined together.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Chocolate and banana are commonly enjoyed in muffins and smoothies, but why not use their heavenly pairing in a classic banana bread recipe?
This double chocolate banana bread recipe creates a cross between the tender and moist banana bread we all love and the fudgy goodness of a double chocolate brownie. 😋
It’s also easy to make as long you don’t overmix the chocolate banana bread batter, or you’ll end up with dense bread!
So what are you waiting for? Turn those mushy, overripe black bananas into the most decadent banana bread.
If you like this easy banana bread recipe, you’ll love these equally simple but delicious desserts: