This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Think chicken breasts are boring? Try this broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken recipe with the cheesiest and creamiest broccoli stuffing. Perfect for picky eaters!
Instead of just pan-frying your chicken breasts, why not turn them into a hearty and scrumptious main dish? This broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken recipe turns boring chicken breasts into cheesy and irresistible delights!
Stuffed with broccoli, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese, you’ll surely get addicted to these leveled-up stuffed chicken breasts.
And if you’re scared of bland and dry chicken breasts, no worries! I’ve also included techniques for cooking perfectly juicy and flavorful chicken in this easy read.
What Is Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken?
Broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken is a genius way to prepare chicken breasts.
The meaty chicken breasts are sliced lengthwise to form a pocket, then filled with a delicious mixture of cheddar cheese, cream cheese, broccoli, and some salt.
Each bite features soft, juicy chicken with creamy, cheesy, tender broccoli pieces.
I’ve always avoided chicken breast recipes because they always come out dry, but this cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken is moist and cooked perfectly! The secret is cooking the chicken breasts in the oven and letting them rest for a few minutes.
Thanks to this recipe, I’m sure kids and picky eaters will have a new opinion about chicken breast and broccoli.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe proves you don’t have to be an expert cook to whip up an impressive dish. Give this broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken a try so you don’t miss out on these:
- Easy and Impressive: You only need 40 minutes and seven simple ingredients to transform plain, white meat into an impressive, cheesy, and hearty main dish! The delicious cheddar broccoli stuffing is savory and creamy with some kick from Cajun seasoning.
- Perfect for Picky Eaters: Is your child a picky eater who hates veggies? Does your spouse find chicken breasts boring? This broccoli and cheddar stuffed chicken will surely change their minds one bite at a time.
- Filling Main Dish: This protein-packed broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken breast is incredibly filling and satisfying. It’s the best main dish for hungry tummies after a tiring day.
What Does Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Taste Like?
Broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken breast tastes dreamy. Yes, dreamy: an adjective I never thought I’d use to describe chicken breasts.
We all know that chicken breasts can be tasteless and, let’s be straightforward, boring. However, this cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken is absolutely delicious.
It’s enjoyable not just from the tangy-salty flavors but also because of the textures. The soft chicken, creamy cheese, and crisp broccoli bites have me craving chicken breasts as a regular weeknight meal.
It’s not too overwhelmingly rich, and the kick from the Cajun seasoning is also just chef’s kiss!
Is Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breast Healthy?
This broccoli and cheddar stuffed chicken recipe offers 10 grams of protein with only 138 calories per serving!
It’s a hearty and protein-packed main dish that will keep you full and satisfied.
While mixing broccoli with cream cheese and cheddar cheese is not the healthiest way to enjoy it, it’s still better than not including broccoli in your diet. This broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken breast is a tasty way to introduce kids and picky eaters to broccoli.
Chicken breast is also one of the healthiest meats because it’s low-fat and a good source of protein. And because protein helps you feel full, this broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken is an ideal main dish.
What Are The Benefits Of Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Chicken?
These broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breasts are tasty, filling, and shockingly easy. You’ll love the texture of the soft chicken with melted cheese and tender broccoli pieces.
The divine combination of hot cheddar cheese and cream cheese is irresistible! It’s definitely kid and adult-approved.
The hearty, flavor-packed meal is also done in just 40 minutes, and even though it looks complicated, it’s actually very easy to do. ‘
And finally, the dish is protein-packed and filling. It’s a delicious meal that can keep you full throughout the day!
Ingredients For Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
- Chicken breasts – Pick large skinless chicken breasts so you can easily slice them lengthwise and stuff them with the cheesy broccoli filling.
- Cajun seasoning – The bold, hot, and earthy flavor of Cajun seasoning is the perfect contrast to the rich and cheesy stuffing in this broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken recipe.
- Salt – Season the chicken breasts with salt according to your preference.
- Broccoli – I personally prefer not chopping the fresh broccoli too finely because I love the tender-crisp texture with the soft chicken.
- Cheddar cheese – The perfect melting cheese for broccoli cheese stuffed chicken.
- Cream cheese – Adds richness and makes the cheesy filling creamier.
- Olive oil – Keep your chicken breasts from drying out in the oven by brushing them with some olive oil before baking. You can also heat some olive oil in a pan for searing the chicken breasts before cooking in the oven.
Tools Needed To Prepare Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
- Knife for cutting the chicken lengthwise
- Mixing bowl for combining the cheesy broccoli stuffing ingredients
- Oil brush for brushing the chicken breasts with olive oil
- Meat thermometer for measuring the temperature of the chicken breasts after baking
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
Make your cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken taste more scrumptious by adding Greek yogurt to the broccoli stuffing. It adds a yummy tangy flavor to the scrumptious broccoli cheese filling!
Another delicious addition you can combine with the broccoli cheddar stuffing is garlic. I personally prefer chopped fresh garlic over the pre-minced ones in jars for the best aroma and taste.
Red pepper flakes
Want to add more kick to your cheesy broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken? Red pepper flakes taste wonderful with the creamy filling, but you can also rub some in the chicken if you love spicy foods!
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- Olive oil
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather all the ingredients for the broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken.
STEP 2: Preheat the oven to 375°F.
STEP 3: Slice a pocket through the middle of the chicken breasts lengthwise.
STEP 4: Season the chicken breasts on both sides with Cajun seasoning and a teaspoon of salt. Don’t forget to season the flaps.
STEP 5: Combine the chopped broccoli, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
STEP 6: Stuff each chicken breast with the cheddar broccoli mixture, then season with more Cajun seasoning on top.
STEP 7: Brush the top of the stuffed chicken breasts with some olive oil, then bake for 30 minutes until cooked through.
STEP 8: Let the chicken breasts rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy the cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken!
What To Serve With Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
You can serve this protein-packed broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breasts with simple veggie dishes like roasted asparagus or grilled carrots. Cauliflower rice would also make a healthy and filling side dish.
Or, if you love potatoes, you might enjoy this versatile dish with mashed potatoes!
But since you’re already whipping up an impressive dish, why not try some unique potato and sweet potato recipes?
You can make a sweet potato hash in just one pan, use the air fryer for perfectly crispy tater tots, or serve the chicken with fresh Nigerian salad loaded with potatoes, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, and cucumber, and this cherry chutney sauce! #yum
Tips About Making Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breast
If you’re like me, who’s scared of cooking chicken breasts because they always come out dry and tough, here are some tips for cooking them perfectly and keeping the rich and cheesy broccoli feeling from oozing out. (We don’t want the yummy cream cheese mixture to just spill in the oven!)
- Choose large chicken breasts, and be careful when cutting them lengthwise to form the pocket for the cheese stuffing. If you’re worried you’ve overstuffed them, just secure the flaps with toothpicks.
- Do you like your chicken breasts lightly crispy? You can achieve a yummy crust by searing their sides in a skillet with olive oil. The magic number to not overcook them is to sear between 2 to 3 minutes before popping them in the oven!
- You can’t serve your chicken “rare” like beef because that’s food poisoning waiting to happen. Get perfectly cooked broccoli and cheddar stuffed chicken using a meat thermometer and only take the stuffed chicken out when they’re 165ºF.
How To Store Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
If you have leftover broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken, follow these storage guidelines to keep them fresh and delicious. These are also helpful if you want to make the meal in advance.
- Fridge: Cool the stuffed chicken breasts and transfer them to an airtight container. Store them in the fridge and consume them within four days for the best quality.
- Freezer: You can freeze your broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken for three months. Just wrap them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil individually.
- Reheating: The best way to reheat your broccoli and cheddar stuffed chicken is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 325ºF and bake the unwrapped chicken breasts for 20 minutes.
How Long To Bake Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breast?
To avoid undercooked or overcooked stuffed chicken breasts, preheat the oven to 375°F and bake for 30 minutes.
If you seared the broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken breasts in a skillet, transfer it (make sure it’s an oven-safe skillet, of course!) to the preheated oven and bake between 25 to 35 minutes.
How Do You Keep Cheese From Oozing Out Of Stuffed Chicken?
Butterflying chicken breasts with the proper technique is important so the delicious melty filling won’t ooze out of the chicken.
After many trials and errors, I found the proper method, so here you go:
- Slice each chicken breast horizontally with a sharp knife until you can open it like a book; I once made a mistake of cutting all the way through, so work slowly, or you’ll end up with two chicken breasts!
- Stuff the butterfly chicken breasts with ¼ of the flavorful filling. This is the perfect amount to keep the stuffing from oozing out, and it’s also not too much cheese that tastes overwhelmingly rich.
- If the stuffed chicken breasts are thick, you can push a toothpick or two through the flaps to secure them together.
FAQ About Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
What cheese is best to melt in chicken?
Cheddar melts well with stuffed chicken. Sharp cheddar cheese tastes deliciously salty and cuts through the blandness of chicken and broccoli. Imagine the cheesy taste of a grilled cheese sandwich with chicken; yum!
How do you bake chicken breast so it stays moist?
The secret to moist and juicy baked chicken breasts is letting them rest or leaving them alone for 5 minutes before cutting. Trust me, this waiting period is worth it because the collagen will thicken the juices in the meat, and these will recirculate for the moistest piece of chicken breast.
How do you know when stuffed chicken breast is cooked?
Your broccoli and cheddar stuffed chicken breasts are perfectly cooked if they’re 165ºF when you measure their internal temperature with a food thermometer in the thickest part of the meat. The meat’s juices should also be clear.
- Gather all the ingredients for the broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Slice a pocket through the middle of the chicken breasts lengthwise.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with Cajun seasoning and a teaspoon of salt. Don’t forget to season the flaps.
- Combine the chopped broccoli, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
- Stuff each chicken breast with the cheddar broccoli mixture, then season with more Cajun seasoning on top.
- Brush the top of the stuffed chicken breasts with some olive oil, then bake for 30 minutes until cooked through.
- Let the chicken breasts rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy the cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken!
- Be careful not to cut each chicken breast all the way through when making the pockets. You can also hold the flaps together with toothpicks to keep the stuffing from oozing.
- Want a lightly crispy crust on your chicken breasts? Heat olive oil in an oven-safe skillet and sear their sides before baking!
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken breasts before taking them out of the oven. They should be at least 165ºF.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
White meat has never been this delicious. If you thought you’d never crave chicken breasts because they’re bland and dry, think again.
This broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken recipe transforms forgettable chicken breasts into a main dish you’ll get addicted to.
These soft and juicy chicken breasts are stuffed with creamy melted cheese and crisp broccoli pieces.
Kids and adults will surely enjoy this future family favorite!
If you loved this hearty recipe, you’d also like these comfort foods: