This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
This is the best homemade hot chocolate mix! With only 5 ingredients, this rich and creamy hot cocoa mix from scratch is superior to store-bought.
The best homemade hot chocolate mix dissolves into a rich, creamy, delicious drink that makes the store-bought mix forgettable.
How do you like your hot cocoa? Extra creamy? Caffeinated? Spiced?
This yummy recipe only requires 5 ingredients, with room for variations!
Pulse everything in a food processor, and you’ll have the most amazing chocolate mix waiting to be stirred in a cup with hot milk or even with just plain hot water (Yes, it’s that tasty!)
This easy hot chocolate mix also has two secret ingredients that make the dreamiest cup of hot cocoa.
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe:
(Trust me; you’ll want to make a big batch of this hot cocoa mix because it’s just so good.)
What Is the Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix?
Hot chocolate mix is a dry beverage mix for hot cocoa.
The best thing about this dry mix is that you don’t need to prepare or add other ingredients every time you make a cup of hot cocoa. Just stir it in hot water or dissolve it in hot milk for instant chocolatey bliss. 😋
But why is this the best homemade hot chocolate mix?
It’s quite a bold claim, just like our best damn chili recipe. There are so many hot chocolate recipes, after all.
First, it’s a super easy recipe that only needs 5 ingredients.
These simple ingredients combine into a tasty hot cocoa mix ready to be enjoyed as is or with whatever toppings and add-ins your palate is craving.
This DIY hot chocolate mix also stores well, so it’ll be easy to have it on hand for the cold winter nights. You can even pack the mix in mason gift jars for the holidays!
Why settle for store-bought hot chocolate mixes that sometimes don’t even taste like chocolate when you can make the best homemade hot chocolate mix in 5 minutes?
Why You’ll Love This Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
- Easy and Stores Well: This best DIY hot chocolate mix is made with 5 ingredients you only need to pulse in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer the mix into airtight containers and enjoy rich hot cocoa for months, or pack the mix in mason jars and give them as homemade holiday gifts this Christmas.
- Better Than Store-Bought: What I love about this easy homemade hot chocolate mix is I can control the amount of sugar in it. And because you know exactly what’s in the mix, you can be assured it’s free from additives.
- Make it Your Own: This homemade hot chocolate mix with powdered milk is versatile and customizable! Read on for toppings and mix-ins and create different hot chocolate variations. Hot cocoa doesn’t have to be boring!
What Does Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix with Powdered Milk Taste Like?
This is not called the best homemade hot chocolate mix for no reason. It truly is the BEST recipe for homemade hot chocolate mix, flavor-wise and texture-wise.
This hot chocolate tastes rich and chocolatey without the strange taste of some store-bought hot chocolate mixes. I’m sure you know what I mean.
Some hot chocolate mixes taste artificial, others are overly sweet, and some lack sweetness, so you’ll need to add syrup or sugar to make them more enjoyable.
Two ingredients help make this the best homemade hot chocolate mix: white chocolate and salt. (But of course, please use good quality cocoa powder for your COCOA mix. 😅)
I just appreciate how the white chocolate, together with whole milk, makes this hot chocolate mix oh-so-creamy and rich.
Then, the addition of salt further accentuates the deep chocolate flavor of the mix.
Ingredients For Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Whole milk powder – For the best homemade hot chocolate mix, use WHOLE milk powder. Whole milk will give your hot cocoa a rich flavor and creamy consistency that are just crave-worthy.
- Powdered sugar – Make sure you’re using powdered and not granulated sugar so it will combine well with the rest of the hot chocolate mix. It will also dissolve easily when the mix is used.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder -Pick your favorite cocoa powder! You can also combine unsweetened cocoa powder and Dutch-process cocoa powder for a darker color. Dark-colored hot chocolate just looks so mouthwatering…🤤
- White chocolate chips – Use high-quality white chocolate! You can also chop a white chocolate bar instead of using chips.
- Kosher salt – This is a MUST for the best homemade hot chocolate mix because it enhances the chocolate flavor of the hot cocoa.
- Mini marshmallows – I know some would say, “Is it really hot cocoa without tiny marshmallows on top?” You can also scroll down for more delicious ideas for serving hot chocolate.
Tools Needed To Prepare the Best DIY Hot Chocolate Mix
- Food processor to grind the ingredients for the homemade cocoa mix
- Whisk to stir and dissolve the chocolate mix in the hot liquid of choice
- Mug to serve your hot chocolate
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Hot Chocolate Mix
Can I use non-fat dry milk powder?
Make the best homemade hot chocolate mix with fewer calories! Swap whole milk powder with non-fat milk powder.
This DIY hot chocolate mix is perfect for year-round sipping!
How do you pimp up hot chocolate?
Create the hot chocolate of your dreams with different variations of this easy hot chocolate mix recipe!
Or how about a seasonal twist?
Crushed peppermint in hot chocolate will be divine for your holidays!
And for my adventurous folk, add some kick to your hot cocoa with chipotle powder.
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups whole milk powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Mini marshmallows for serving
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your hot chocolate mix. Add everything to a food processor.
STEP 2: If your food processor is small, work in batches for efficient grinding of the ingredients.
STEP 3: Pulse until combined and finely ground.
STEP 4: To serve the best homemade hot chocolate mix, pour 1/3 cup of the dry mix into a mug and mix it with a cup of hot milk (or 1/2 cup of hot water for 1/2 cup of the dry mix.) Feel free to adjust the ratios according to your preference!
STEP 5: Sprinkle marshmallows on top, and enjoy the creamiest mug of hot chocolate!
What To Serve With DIY Hot Chocolate Mix
Serve this rich and creamy homemade hot chocolate with mini marshmallows on top!
You can also combine this hot chocolate mix with chai tea mix for a cup of chai hot chocolate, perfect for cozying up next to a fireplace. 😋
What are the best hot chocolate toppings?
You can also add different toppings like whipped cream, crushed graham crackers, or Oreo cookie crumbs. Just take inspiration from the season or follow your heart, and by heart, I mean sweet tooth, haha!
Looking to find a dessert partner for the best homemade hot chocolate mix?
Tips About Making the Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- For lump-free homemade hot chocolate mix, sift all the powders and use a food processor or blender to grind everything finely.
- Is this homemade hot chocolate mix with powdered milk still not hitting the spot for your creamy drink cravings? Try it with two teaspoons of cornstarch, and use milk when dissolving the dry mix in a mug!
- Here’s a hack for dissolving the best homemade hot chocolate mix without clumping: Make a paste with the hot chocolate mix and a few tablespoons of hot milk before adding the rest.
How to Store Homemade Hot Chocolate
Make a big batch of this easy homemade hot chocolate mix and store the mix in an airtight container for up to 3 months!
And while it’s possible for the dry mix to last even longer, you’ll get the best flavors on your hot cocoa when you consume the mix within this period.
Oh, and make sure the containers are placed somewhere cool and dry!
Can You Use Chocolate Milk When Making Homemade Hot Chocolate?
Of course! This hot chocolate mix works with any milk of choice, including chocolate milk! I can just imagine how a cup of homemade hot chocolate with chocolate milk will make chocolate lovers swoon.
It’s also possible to make hot chocolate just by warming up chocolate milk. They’re quite the same, but you might get a deeper chocolate flavor with hot chocolate since it’s made with melted chocolate.
Can I Use Unsweetened Chocolate in Homemade Hot Chocolate?
Yes, and unsweetened chocolate might even be the more suitable choice for homemade hot chocolate.
You can easily add other ingredients to the recipe with unsweetened chocolate without worrying that the resulting mix will taste overly sweet.
What is the Difference Between Hot Chocolate and Hot Cocoa?
While the two are often mentioned interchangeably, hot cocoa differs from hot chocolate.
The clue is already in their name.
Hot cocoa uses cocoa powder combined with milk and sugar, while hot chocolate melts chocolate in milk or water.
Hot cocoa can also refer to a dry mix, while the richer hot chocolate is essentially melted chocolate.
But of course, everybody makes their hot cocoa and hot chocolate differently.
By the way, if you love rich, thick, chocolatey things, try our take on chocolate mousse!
This is a unique recipe inspired by Mexican hot chocolate.
How To Make Hot Cocoa Without Cocoa Powder?
It’s possible to make hot cocoa without cocoa powder. But if we’re being purists about the definition, cocoa powder-free hot cocoa will be more like hot chocolate.
Just melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in warm milk!
Heat the milk on medium-low until it’s steaming, then stir in the chocolate for the best consistency.
FAQ About Hot Chocolate
Can you reheat homemade hot chocolate?
Absolutely! If you have leftovers from your cup of hot chocolate, you can reheat it on the stovetop until it’s steamy.
Can I freeze homemade hot chocolate?
Yes. Allow the hot chocolate to cool down, then pour it into a freezer-safe container, leaving some headspace.
Can you make homemade hot chocolate with water?
Of course! But for the best-tasting, creamiest cup of hot cocoa, I suggest dissolving the hot cocoa mix in dairy milk.
How long do homemade hot chocolate bombs last?
Homemade hot chocolate bombs can last for 2 to 3 weeks in an airtight container when stored at room temperature.
- Gather the ingredients for your hot chocolate mix. Add everything to a food processor.
- If your food processor is small, work in batches for efficient grinding of the ingredients.
- Pulse until combined and finely ground.
- To serve the best homemade hot chocolate mix, pour 1/3 cup of the dry mix into a mug and mix it with a cup of hot milk (or 1/2 cup of hot water for 1/2 cup of the dry mix.) Feel free to adjust the ratios according to your preference!
- Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top, and enjoy the creamiest mug of hot chocolate!
- Use a food processor (or blender) so the white chocolate chips will blend finely with the rest of the ingredients. You can also sift all the powders to avoid lumps in your hot chocolate mix.
- Want the creamiest homemade hot chocolate? Hear me out: Add two teaspoons of cornstarch and use milk when dissolving the dry mix in a mug.
- How do you make hot chocolate without clumping? You can start by mixing two tablespoons of hot milk with the dry mix. Once you have a paste, add the rest of the milk until everything is dissolved.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 40Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
The best homemade hot chocolate mix will make you appreciate chocolate in its drinkable form. Something that tastes like actual chocolate.
When it’s too cold to deal with everything, nothing warms up the body like hot chocolate. And this homemade mix? Just dissolve it in hot water or milk, and it’s ready to boost your serotonin. 😋
This hot cocoa recipe is made with 5 quality ingredients, so you know it’s free from additives. The mix also stores well, so you can stock up your pantry with this, dare I say, winter staple.
So what are you waiting for? You’re only 5 minutes away from the best-tasting hot chocolate!
This is your sign to make more drinks at home! Try our easy recipes, ranging from boozy beverages to copycats of your favorite cafe blends: