This DIY homemade orange face mask is easy to make it home. Make as much as you need using organic ingredients that your body would love. Get ready for bright, glowing skin!
Most people spend hundreds of dollars on skin care. However, the solution to healthy skin could be at your grocery store. A moisturizing orange face mask is a chemical-free solution that will bring back the youthful appeal to your face.
It restores the moisture content, eliminates dead cells, and allows the skin to glow. You can prepare a moisturizing orange face mask and DIY orange face mask with other ingredients for healthy and bright skin. Below, we explore one of these combinations.
Why is an orange peel the best face mask?
Orange peels are packed with antioxidants and other nutrients. It has a higher amount of vitamin C than the orange flesh. For starters, vitamin C helps protect the skin from damage and gets rid of acne. It helps in boosting a healthy and glowing skin.
Calcium is another useful component found in the orange peel and helps in rejuvenating worn-out cells. It helps in preventing damage to your skin DNA and heals itchy, dry and flaky skin. Potassium hydrates your skin and prevents moisture loss. Lastly, magnesium eliminates stress to the skin, thereby restoring its youthfulness (source).
How to make a DIY orange peel mask at home
It’s not rocket science making an orange peel mask at home. It’s a simple DIY process that doesn’t cost much. Here’s your the step by step directions:
- First, you’ll need to remove the orange peel from the fruit and ensure they have no fibers.
- Next, wash them with water and spread them out in the sun.
- Allow them to dry for at least two to five days, depending on the weather situation.
- As they dry, remember to cover with a protective cloth to keep insects at bay.
- Next, crush by blending into a fine powder. The last step is to store in an airtight container.
- Now that you have the orange peel powder ready, it’ll take less than a few minutes to mix with other ingredients and apply on your face.
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oatmeal (you can substitute instant unflavored oatmeal)
- Juice from 1 whole orange
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt with active cultures (greek yogurt is great for this!)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried orange peel (found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir until well-mixed and combined. You're looking for a consistency that is thick, but not too runny so it will stay on your face. You can always add extra oatmeal to thicken.
- Spread onto your freshly washed and dried face in an even layer, being careful to avoid the eye area. Leave on for 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse this mask off with warm water.
- Store any leftover mask in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
* This diy was originally published on 02/2012 by Jaclyn. Notes and photos updated on 07/2020.
How Different Ingredients Improve your Orange Face Mask
Mixing with honey and yogurt eliminates blemishes
You can eliminate blemish from your skin by applying an orange mask. It helps fade and conceals the dark marks on your skin to bring out an even tone. It’s a simple procedure whereby you’ll mix honey and yogurt with a teaspoon orange peel to prepare a mixture full of nutrients (source).
Honey is a natural antibacterial product and is responsible for youthful skin. It slows the aging of the skin by fighting harmful bacterial. Yogurt has living cultures which eliminate bacterial by killing them. It helps in hydrating and nourishing the skin.
Elimination of pimples
Orange peel has ingredients that banish pimples, oil, dirt, and bacteria. For it to be effective, you can mix with baking soda or oatmeal (source). Normally, blackheads may form on the skin due to excess oil, and by exfoliating, you’ll enjoy smooth skin free of pimples. Baking soda is a deep cleanser, whereas the oatmeal scrubs the skin and removes any dirt or impurities.
If you have oily skin, there are chances that your face is prone to acne or pimples. You can mix the orange peel powder with coconut oil, and this will eliminate sebum in the pores of your skin. Coconut oil helps in hydrating and nourishing your skin. It also peels the acne off your skin (source).
Milk is another ingredient you can mix with the orange peel powder. Milk contains minerals that will nourish your skin and leave it feeling smooth and soft (source).
Brightening the Skin
Orange peels act as natural bleaching agents that lighten up dark patches on the skin and eventually clear them over time. Since it contains citric acid, you can dilute a teaspoon of orange or mix with honey or milk to prevent burning the skin (source).
Oil and dirt may clog your skin and form blackheads. A homemade orange face mask can help get rid of blackheads. It’s natural, and the entire process is painless when mixed with yogurt to create a face paste (source).
Get rid of skin wrinkles
As we age, the skin gets wrinkles, and a natural way to fade the wrinkles is by applying an orange face mask. It helps in healing the skin by eliminating radicals that are harmful to the cells. Calcium present in the peels protects the cells hence prevent premature wrinkles and aging.
Frequently Asked Questions about Homemade Orange Face Mask
What can orange peel do for your face?
Orange peels have antioxidants and vitamins, which prevents dryness to the skin. After application to the skin, they work like a cleanser or a toner and thereby remove dead cells, dirt, oil, and help in tightening the pores. Using the orange peel mask brightens the skin and gives it a fresh and youthful tone.
How do you make an orange face mask?
You can make an orange face at home by use of orange peels. Allow the peels to dry outside under the sun for two to five days. Next, blend to make a fine powder. Put in an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place. See detailed instructions above.
Does orange lighten skin?
Yes, it does. An orange peel contains more vitamin C than the orange flesh. Vitamin C helps in rejuvenating the skin for a more even tone. Also, it contains antioxidants that help in getting rid of dirt, oil, and bacteria. With time, your skin’s dark areas are eliminated, and your skin appears lighter and brighter.
Homemade masks are made from natural products and don’t contain toxins or chemicals. They have nutrients, oils, and minerals that help the skin rejuvenate.
On the other hand, the store masks have chemicals that help in extending their shelf life. Fruits such as orange have healing ingredients that protect the skin. Further, they are cheap and an excellent way to save money.
If you enjoyed this post, you’d like these related posts: