This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
This chicken egg roll in a bowl is ready in just 15 minutes with simple ingredients! No deep-frying is needed, and everything is done in one pan.
Satisfy your egg roll cravings with this chicken egg roll in a bowl!
This lighter and quicker take on egg rolls omits the wrappers and deep-frying. Instead, it’s a wholesome deconstructed egg roll stir-fry ready to be enjoyed in 15 minutes.
Everything is cooked in a single skillet using only a few ingredients.
You’ll get a chicken egg roll bowl packed with delicious textures and flavors that pair well with just about anything. 😋
So, without further ado, let’s unwrap this wrapper-free deconstructed egg roll bowl!
What Is a Chicken Egg Roll?
Chicken egg roll is a mixture of chicken, veggies, and other seasonings rolled (heh, get it?) in an egg roll wrapper and deep-fried until nice and crispy.
Egg rolls are simply addictive, and considering how easy it is to come up with your own version, it’s not surprising that they’re loved by many.
However, have you ever tried a chicken egg roll in a bowl stir-fry?
It’s a deconstructed egg roll bowl, which ditches the wrapper and excess oil!
Imagine just having the umami filling of a chicken egg roll…🤤
All those delicious textures and Asian-inspired flavors that make it hard to resist restaurant take-outs can now be easily savored at home.
In this recipe, everything comes together in one skillet, and the meal is ready to be enjoyed in 15 minutes.
There is no need to put those knife skills to the test since you can just use a coleslaw mix for the mixed veggies. And if you hate deep frying like me, you no longer have to worry about splatters because this dish is stir-fried!
Why You’ll Love This Deconstructed Egg Roll Recipe
- Egg Roll Made Easy: Enjoy the delicious flavors and satisfying textures of egg rolls without the deep fat frying and a sink full of dishes to wash. You don’t even need to slice the fresh vegetables for this one-pan chicken egg roll bowl, so everything from the prep work, cooking, and wash-up is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Room For Customization: Create the most unique chicken egg roll in a bowl with whatever you have on hand! You can even make a vegan version of this dish! (Scroll down for yummy vegetable swaps.)
- Perfect For Regular Rotation: Forget take-outs that can sneakily ruin your weekly budget. Add this deconstructed egg roll recipe to your rotation for a filling meal ready in 15 minutes using affordable ingredients!
What Does Chicken Egg Roll Bowl Taste Like?
This deconstructed chicken egg roll in a bowl has all the crave-worthy savory flavors of classic egg rolls without the greasiness.
It’s a dish that tastes well-rounded, and you’re free to increase the amount of the ingredients you particularly like.
Once your kitchen fills with the smell of fragrant ginger, garlic, and onions, I’m sure you’ll be reminded of your favorite Asian restaurant. 😋
But how does this deconstructed egg roll bowl achieve that distinct, umami taste we love in egg rolls?
Besides the aromatics, we can thank sesame oil and soy sauce for making this stir-fry extra tasty. Their combination gives this dish the distinct Asian flavor we love in egg rolls.
The succulent filling of tender chicken, shredded cabbage, and carrot matchsticks makes this filling dish versatile.
You can eat it on its own with some sesame seeds and green onions on top, but the texture from these ingredients will also be perfect on rice or noodles. 🤤
What Is a Chicken Egg Roll Made Of?
- Olive oil – For cooking the ground chicken.
- Sesame oil – The key ingredient to getting that delicious nutty, toasty flavor we love in egg rolls.
- Ground chicken – We’ll keep things light and quick in this deconstructed egg roll bowl with ground chicken as our main protein.
- Onion – You can use any onion for your chicken egg roll bowl.
- Ginger – The aromatic combination of fresh ginger, garlic, and sesame oil is a must to get that delectable Asian-inspired taste in this egg roll in a bowl stir fry recipe.
- Garlic – Go for fresh garlic and not garlic powder for a tastier deconstructed egg roll in a bowl.
- Coleslaw mix – This 15-minute recipe without any knife work is possible thanks to coleslaw mix!
- Low-sodium soy sauce – You can also substitute soy sauce with coconut aminos in this chicken egg roll in a bowl.
- Ground black pepper – Feel free to add more spices and seasonings to tweak your one skillet egg roll in a bowl to your taste buds’ cravings.
- Green onions – Optional for garnish, but I personally think green onions make this deconstructed chicken egg roll taste closer to an egg roll filling.
- Sesame seeds – Another optional topping to add more of that delicious sesame flavor.
Tools Needed To Prepare Egg Roll in a Bowl
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Deconstructed Egg Roll Bowl
What can I use instead of ground chicken?
This egg roll in a bowl is not just for ground chicken!
You can also use any protein you like. My next choice after chicken is ground turkey.
More vegetables to add or swap for your chicken egg roll in a bowl
How to make my deconstructed egg roll taste better?
We kept things simple and fresh for this one skillet chicken egg roll in a bowl, but you can always add pizzazz to your meal with various flavor enhancers.
How to Make Chicken Egg Rolls
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 16-oz bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Green onions, sliced for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your chicken egg roll in a bowl.
STEP 2: Heat the oils in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ground chicken for about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally and breaking it into crumbles.
STEP 3: Add the onions to the skillet and cook until tender, stirring everything occasionally. Then, add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant.
STEP 4: Add the coleslaw mix and soy sauce. Season with pepper.
STEP 5: Cook until the cabbage is wilted, stirring the ingredients occasionally so they’re evenly coated with the soy sauce.
STEP 6: Serve with green onions and sesame seeds on top. Enjoy your deconstructed egg roll on its own or with different sides!
What to Eat with Chicken Egg Rolls?
Even though we’re skipping the wrappers for this chicken egg roll in a bowl, you can still get your crunch on by serving this dish with wonton strips. 😋
You can also serve it with chopped peanuts or chow mein noodles to satisfy your cravings for something crunchy.
If you want to eat your chicken egg roll bowl as a meal, it can easily pair well with rice, bread, and tortilla wrap!
Experiment with the sauces to add; trust me, it’ll be hard to return to take-outs after you’ve tried dishes like them at home!
Both are super easy to make and perfect for hosting!
Tips About Making Egg Roll in a Bowl
- There’s no need to drain the cooked chicken for this deconstructed egg roll, but depending on the specific meat you’ll use, you can always drain the excess grease before proceeding with the recipe.
- If you can’t find a coleslaw mix for this chicken egg roll in a bowl recipe, just shred some cabbage and slice your carrots into matchsticks!
- The sesame oil gives this chicken egg roll bowl that rich, toasty taste we crave in egg rolls, but if you can’t have sesame, feel free to omit it completely!
How To Store Deconstructed Egg Roll Bowl
- Fridge: Got extra deconstructed egg roll stir-fry? You can transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. This also makes this dish great for meal prep.
- Freezer: For longer storage, you can keep your chicken egg roll in a bowl in the freezer! Place the dish in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: You can reheat your chicken egg roll bowl in the microwave. If frozen, just thaw it first in the fridge overnight.
Can I Make This in the Instant Pot?
Yes! For an Instant Pot chicken egg roll in a bowl, you’ll start the recipe in the cooker’s Saute Function. Once it’s hot, add the oils and cook the chicken and onion.
Stir in the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant. Then, turn the Instant Pot off and add your seasonings, such as soy sauce.
Don’t forget to scrape up the tasty bits at the bottom! You can also pour in some chicken broth at this point.
Next, add your vegetables and secure the lid.
Set the cooker to cook on High Pressure for 0 minutes and wait for the timer to beep.
Release the pressure manually, uncover, stir, and you’re done!
What Can You Do with Leftover Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl Stir-Fry?
Transform your leftover deconstructed egg roll into a whole new dish!
This stir-fry is super versatile; you won’t get bored with the meals you can make from it.
Besides using it on noodles and fried rice, you can add the leftovers from your chicken egg roll bowl to your omelette, sandwich, tostadas, and nachos.
The chicken and veggies can also fill lettuce wraps and bell peppers!
FAQ About Chicken Egg Rolls
Why do egg rolls not have eggs in them?
Despite their name, you won’t need eggs to make egg rolls as the recipe of the rolls changed over time. They are so-called because it was believed that the wrappers of the first egg rolls were made with eggs.
Can you freeze the leftovers for this chicken egg roll in a bowl?
Yes, but expect that the texture can change after thawing. The veggies can get mushy, so it’s better to enjoy your deconstructed chicken egg roll freshly made.
Will this recipe work with bite-sized chicken?
Of course. Don’t feel limited with ground meat when making chicken egg roll in a bowl. For more flavor, try the recipe with boneless skinless thighs cut into bite-sized pieces.
What if I can’t find a coleslaw mix?
You can cut your own vegetables for this chicken egg roll bowl recipe instead of using a coleslaw mix. To shred the cabbage, cut it in half, then slice it in half again before cutting it into thin strips. For the matchstick carrots, just peel and julienne them.
Can I make this deconstructed egg roll vegan?
- Gather the ingredients for your chicken egg roll in a bowl.
- Heat the oils in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ground chicken for about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally and breaking it into crumbles.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until tender, stirring everything occasionally. Then, add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the coleslaw mix and soy sauce. Season with pepper.
- Cook until the cabbage is wilted, stirring the ingredients occasionally so they're evenly coated with the soy sauce.
- Serve with green onions and sesame seeds on top. Enjoy your deconstructed egg roll on its own or with different sides!
- You don't need to drain the chicken after it's cooked. But depending on the meat you'll use, you can quickly remove it from the pan after cooking and drain any excess grease before proceeding with the rest of the recipe.
- Can't find a coleslaw mix? You can just use shredded cabbage and carrot matchsticks for your chicken egg roll in a bowl!
- I highly recommend using sesame oil and sesame seeds for this recipe to achieve the rich, toasty taste we love in egg rolls but feel free to omit them if you're sensitive to sesame.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
And that’s a wrap for our wrapper-free egg roll recipe!
This chicken egg roll in a bowl skips the wrapping and deep-frying for a quick and easy one-pan dinner. Unlike a traditional egg roll, this dish will be ready in just 15 minutes.
The deconstructed take on the crowd-favorite will allow you to enjoy the fresh flavors and savory goodness of egg rolls with just about anything.
Ground chicken, shredded cabbage, and carrot matchsticks combine into a delicious meal that looks, smells, and tastes amazing. This one is truly a winner chicken dinner!
For more dish ideas that will make you want to refill your bowl for seconds, try these recipes next: