This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
This puff pastry breakfast pizza is super easy and perfect for breakfast or brunch. It’s everything you love about bbq chicken pizza but on a flaky puff pastry!
Tired of the same old pizza dough but also craving pizza for breakfast? Try this puff pastry breakfast pizza recipe made with a sheet of puff pastry baked until golden brown and flaky!
But this is no ordinary breakfast pizza because the star of this dish is bbq chicken!
That’s right; we’re breaking breakfast norms and starting the day with savory barbecue flavors, gooey mozzarella cheese, generous meat slices, and a delicious medley of onions and cilantro.
I’m sure this quick and easy recipe is a guaranteed hit for all of you early birds looking to try something new for breakfast.
What Is Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza?
Puff pastry breakfast pizza is a genius invention that marries your favorite pizza toppings and buttery, flaky puff pastry.
It’s homemade pizza made easy because you won’t need to make the dough or settle for a storebought one that is, let’s be honest, not that really good.
The texture of the puff pastry and meaty, cheesy toppings will have you swooning in delight. But here’s the twist with this puff pastry breakfast pizza: we’ll be using bbq chicken instead of boring breakfast toppings!
Give this savory, sweet, and slightly tangy slice a try, and I can guarantee you’ll start the day in a good mood.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Still on the fence about having bbq chicken pizza for breakfast? I can guarantee that you’ll be obsessed with this outrageous take on puff pastry breakfast pizza because it’s…
- Super Easy: Thanks to frozen puff pastry dough as the base, you can now savor your pizza cravings in the morning fuss-free. Simply bake it until it’s deliciously golden brown, add the toppings, put it back in the oven, and enjoy your breakfast pizza!
- Versatile: Got some leftover chicken from last night? Perfect! You can chop it as toppings for this recipe or mix and match different combinations for the ultimate flavor explosion.
- Satisfying Brunch Idea: Whether you find yourself between breakfast or lunch or you just want your first meal of the day to be filling, this bbq chicken puff pastry pizza got you covered. It’s everything you want in brunch recipes: hearty and tasty!
What Does Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza Taste Like?
This outrageous take on using cheesy bbq chicken for puff pastry breakfast pizza is something you have to try for yourself to believe that it’s the perfect slice to start the day! 😋
The sweet-tangy bbq sauce goes well with the melted mozzarella cheese, and the combination of the onion slices, turkey bacon, and of course, meaty chicken chunks will have you questioning everything you thought you knew about breakfast meals.
But let’s talk about the star of this flaky take on pizza: the golden brown puff pastry crust!
To be honest, I was a tiny bit unsure if puff pastry would indeed work as the pizza dough, but its flakiness is actually what made it delicious with the pizza toppings. It reminds me of turnovers!
Just remember to prick it with a fork so it won’t get super puffy.
Is Breakfast Pizza On Puff Pastry Healthy?
This puff pastry breakfast pizza topped with bbq chicken will keep you full and satisfied throughout the day.
The protein boost from the meats and carbs from the puff pastry crust create a flavorful fuel to kickstart your morning.
It’s always a great idea to start your day with a filling breakfast instead of sugary treats that are just empty calories. Sorry, but your donut and fruit juice early in the morning are not doing you any favor.
The onions and cilantro in this breakfast pizza could also use the presence of other veggies to make each slice more nutritious. Try adding fresh tomatoes, broccoli, or greens!
What Are The Benefits Of Breakfast Pizza?
Break the morning sandwich routine and try pizza for breakfast using puff pastry and bbq chicken! Not only is it ridiculously easy to make, but puff pastry breakfast pizza also tastes absolutely divine.
It’s cheesy, meaty, and savory, with the sweet-tangy flavors we love in a barbecue.
But the best part? You can even use leftovers, whether it’s your rotisserie chicken from last night or extra chicken breasts from your lunch meal prep.
I know bbq chicken isn’t really the first thing to come to mind when imagining breakfast ideas, but it’s a treat for your taste buds you shouldn’t miss. Aren’t you getting tired of eggs and sausages anyway? 😉
Ingredients For This Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza Recipe
- Puff pastry sheet or this – I recommend thawing your puff pastry in the fridge overnight so your breakfast pizza crust is ready the next morning!
- Chicken breast – You can also use chicken thighs or any leftover chicken meat.
- Turkey bacon – Feel free to swap with any bacon you like, but turkey bacon just perfectly complements the cheesy bbq flavors of this puff pastry pizza. 🤤
- Bbq sauce – Sweet and a bit tangy, bbq sauce is delicious anytime, whether for dinner, breakfast, or brunch!
- Mozzarella cheese – Balances the flavors of the bbq sauce. Plus, what pizza doesn’t have cheese?!
- Red onion – The sharpness and crunch of red onion slices further improve this bbq chicken breakfast pizza.
- Green onions – We’ll add some chopped green onions to give this bbq chicken breakfast pizza some color and a delightful mild onion taste.
- Cilantro -Cilantro’s fresh taste and color complete this delectable breakfast treat.
- Egg – Brushing with eggwash before baking will give the crust its mouthwatering golden brown shine.
- Oil – For frying the chicken breast if you’re not using leftovers.
Tools Needed To Prepare Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
- Parchment paper for lining the baking sheet
- Skillet for cooking the chicken
- Knife for scoring the puff pastry and chopping the toppings
- Pastry brush for brushing the puff pastry with egg wash
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Breakfast Pizza
Are you someone who just can’t start the day without eggs? Make this bbq chicken puff pastry breakfast pizza with eggs!
To ensure that your eggs stay inside the pizza, you will assemble the toppings over the puff pastry first, then create wells in them.
Par-bake the pizza for 10 minutes for that nice golden brown flaky crust, then crack the eggs in the wells before putting the breakfast pizza back in the oven to cook the eggs to your preferred doneness.
We’re not cooking everything in one go to keep the delicate pastry dough from getting soggy.
Baby spinach leaves
Adding greens to this puff pastry breakfast pizza is a great way to boost its nutrients. My personal favorite is baby spinach leaves because they go well with the bbq flavors of this hearty breakfast.
The heat from jalapeno peppers will surely wake those lazybones! Try this delicious breakfast idea with a couple of slices of these green peppers.
How to Make Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza Recipe
- 1 pc puff pastry sheet (or this)
- 1 pc chicken breast
- 3 pcs turkey bacon, chopped into squares
- ¼ cup bbq sauce
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- Green onions, chopped for garnish
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- 1 pc egg for egg wash
- Oil for cooking the chicken
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather the ingredients for your puff pastry breakfast pizza.
STEP 2: Thaw the puff pastry sheet to room temperature.
STEP 3: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 4: For the chicken, heat up your skillet over medium heat.
STEP 5: Meanwhile, roll out the puff pastry sheet. Make sure it’s flat like a pizza crust, and feel free to cut it to your desired size.
STEP 6: Score out a border ½ inch from the edge of the puff pastry sheet with the tip of a knife. Make sure you don’t cut the puff pastry sheet all the way through.
STEP 7: Next, prick holes all over the puff pastry sheet with a fork.
STEP 8: Prepare the egg wash by scrambling the egg. Dip a pastry brush into the egg wash and brush the pastry sheet.
STEP 9: Place the puff pastry dough on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
STEP 10: As your puff pastry dough cooks, add some oil to the hot skillet.
STEP 11: Cook the chicken breast for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Keep the skillet covered.
STEP 12: Allow the chicken to cool, then chop it into the cubes.
STEP 13: Spread the bbq sauce on the puff pastry.
STEP 14: Arrange the pizza toppings. Place your cheese, chicken, turkey bacon, and onions onto the puff pastry with bbq sauce.
STEP 15: Bake your bbq chicken puff pastry pizza in the oven for 20 minutes.
STEP 16: Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro. Cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving.
What To Serve With Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
Serve this bbq chicken puff pastry breakfast pizza with other breakfast faves!
Pan-fried potato and eggs, anyone?
I personally prefer my breakfast light, so a slice of this breakfast pizza and a cup of freshly brewed coffee are enough for me. But if you want to impress your family, you can try these easy but delicious recipes that will also complement this puff pastry breakfast pizza.
Here’s a loaded sweet potato hash all done in one pan and a cute take on pancakes called the viral TikTok pancake cereal! Seeing these on your table first thing in the morning will have you exclaiming, “Some things are worth waking up for!” 😋
Tips About Making Breakfast Pizza On Puff Pastry
I had my fair share of errors when I first tried making a puff pastry breakfast pizza, so let me share these tips to help you nail this recipe from the start:
- Is your chicken breast still a bit pink after frying? Don’t worry! It will be cooked through when we bake the pizza in the oven.
- Besides scoring a border around the puff pastry sheet, don’t forget to prick holes all over the sheet as well. Doing so allows the steam to escape as your puff pastry cooks, so you don’t end up with air bubbles and overly puffy “pizza crust.”
- I know assembling the pizza toppings can be fun, but keep in mind that puff pastry is delicate. Use the perfect amount, and you won’t end up with a soggy puff pastry. 😅
How To Store Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
Enjoy your breakfast pizza on puff pastry for longer with these storage tips:
- Fridge: Transfer your puff pastry breakfast pizza slices to an airtight container and store them in the fridge. I recommend eating them within 3 days for the best quality.
- Freezer: This puff pastry breakfast pizza is so easy that making a fresh batch makes more sense than making a lot for freezing. This way, you’ll get the best overall experience with the textures and flavors.
- Reheating: Simply pop your leftovers in the toaster oven and heat them until warmed through. Enjoy your savory breakfast pizza slice as if you just made it!
What Kind Of Sauce Is On Breakfast Pizza?
It’s completely up to you to come up with the perfect sauce on your breakfast pizza, but a simple cheese sauce made from butter and melted cheese is quite popular since it pairs well with common breakfast pizza toppings like eggs, sausages, bacon, and hash browns.
What Else Can I Use For Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza?
Explore different flavor sensations by experimenting with your puff pastry breakfast pizza toppings. From breakfast classics like eggs and bacon to easy-meets-fancy brunch pairings like pancetta and gruyere, this flaky twist on pizza will be perfect!
FAQ About Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
Why prick puff pastry with a fork when making puff pastry breakfast pizza?
It’s important to prick your puff pastry before baking, so the steam can escape as it cooks. Doing so will prevent an overly puffy pizza crust.
Should you egg wash the puff pastry for your breakfast pizza?
Yes, and dare I say, it’s a must! This extra touch of love will give your puff pastry its Instagram-ready golden glow.
Do you bake puff pastry before adding breakfast pizza toppings?
As you can see in this puff pastry pizza recipe, you will bake it first until it’s golden brown before adding the pizza toppings. This gives it a nice texture and color and keeps the puff pastry from turning soggy or losing its structure once you add the toppings.
- Gather the ingredients for your puff pastry breakfast pizza.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the chicken, heat up your skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, roll out the puff pastry sheet. Make sure it’s flat like a pizza crust, and feel free to cut it to your desired size.
- Score out a border ½ inch from the edge of the puff pastry sheet with the tip of a knife. Make sure you don’t cut the puff pastry sheet all the way through.
- Next, prick holes all over the puff pastry sheet with a fork.
- Prepare the egg wash by scrambling the egg. Dip a pastry brush into the egg wash and brush the pastry sheet.
- Place the puff pastry dough on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
- As your puff pastry dough cooks, add some oil to the hot skillet.
- Cook the chicken breast for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Keep the skillet covered.
- Allow the chicken to cool, then chop it in the cubes.
- Spread the bbq sauce on the puff pastry.
- Arrange the pizza toppings. Place your cheese, chicken, turkey bacon, and onions onto the puff pastry with bbq sauce.
- Bake your bbq chicken puff pastry pizza in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro. Cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving.
- Adjust the cooking time for your chicken breast as needed. Got some leftovers from your rotisserie chicken last night? You can use them too!
- It’s important that you prick holes all over your puff pastry sheet to help steam escape as it bakes. Otherwise, you’ll get air bubbles all over the pastry sheet.
- Do not go overboard with the breakfast pizza toppings, or your delicate puff pastry will end up soggy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 258mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Instead of having a sugary cereal for breakfast, try this puff pastry breakfast pizza and start your day on a high note.
This savory breakfast pizza recipe is like a marriage between bbq chicken and cheesy turnovers!
No need to make a pizza dough because frozen puff pastry got your morning pizza cravings covered. You can even use leftover chicken if you have some from last night.
Try this recipe now, and you might be surprised by how barbecue flavors can actually be the game changer for breakfast pizza. It works as a brunch pizza too!
Love handheld meaty dishes like this puff pastry breakfast pizza? Try these easy recipes for tasty delights you can grab and go!