This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
This creamy and tasty Instant Pot chicken korma is all done in the multicooker. Enjoy delicious and aromatic Indian flavors at home with this quick recipe!
Tasting delicious Indian curry is no longer limited to restaurants. With this Instant Pot chicken korma recipe, it’s possible to enjoy classic Indian flavors and impress loved ones at home.
The only thing needed is an Instant Pot; there’s no need to marinate and cook the chicken for a long time to make it succulent and flavorsome.
The creamy and aromatic korma sauce has plenty of spice flavors for everyone to enjoy.
No tedious methods are necessary with this pressure cooker chicken korma as it’s a dish where anyone can sit back and let the Instant Pot do its magic.
What Is Instant Pot Chicken Korma?
Instant Pot chicken korma is a creamy coconut curry with familiar Indian spices and flavors cooked in an Instant Pot.
The handy multicooker will do everything from sauteeing to cooking the hearty chicken dish, saving time and effort.
Busy people can easily enjoy delicious chicken coconut korma without being left with a sink full of cookware. And because the recipe uses a pressure cooker, anyone can achieve a chicken korma that tastes like it’s marinated and cooked for a very long time.
The Indian spice mixture goes deep into the succulent chicken meat, and the creamy and comforting curry sauce is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, whether with rice or bread.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
What’s not to love with this chicken korma instant pot recipe? Everything is done in the Instant Pot, and the delicious Indian spices penetrate deeply into the juicy chicken as if it’s marinated and cooked for hours.
Here are more things to expect with this easy and creamy Instant Pot chicken korma:
- Yummy Indian Curry for Those in a Hurry: Anyone can easily and quickly achieve the celebrated aromatic chicken korma with this Instant Pot recipe. Because of the multicooker’s features, it saves time in cooking the meat while also ensuring that the spices are deliciously incorporated in the chicken and creamy sauce.
- Inexpensive Hearty Meal: This Instant Pot chicken korma pairs well with rice or bread for a filling meal. But best of all, it requires inexpensive ingredients, and some can be switched to dairy-free or gluten-free options to suit every diet on a budget.
- Full Control of Spices and Flavors: The beauty of homecooked chicken korma is the complete control of the base of spices and seasonings. It can be adjusted to the preference and be sweeter, spicier, or earthier.
What Does Chicken Korma Taste Like?
Chicken korma is a crowd-pleasing curry recipe because it is flavorful but manageable. The mild curry has the right kick and richness to suit different palates.
The succulent chicken is first soaked in yogurt to give it a delicious tangy flavor, and the creamy sauce has a balanced flavor profile of earthy, nutty, sweet, and spicy.
Compared to other curry dishes, chicken korma is rich and less spicy, so it’s perfect for people looking for something mild and hearty but filling as a main dish. And while the creamy and rich sauce is usually achieved with nuts, this Instant Pot chicken korma recipe uses coconut milk.
It balances the strong spices in the sauce, and those with nut allergies can enjoy this historic Indian recipe without worries.
Is Pressure Cooker Chicken Korma Healthy?
But like other chicken curries without vegetables, chicken korma is a dish of meat that’s high in calories, and the delicious, creamy sauce is just a guilty pleasure to eat with a high-carb rice bowl or bread.
On the bright side, making this Instant Pot chicken korma curry recipe gluten- and dairy-free is possible by being mindful of the ingredients. Use gluten-free spices and thickeners, then opt for coconut milk instead of heavy cream for the rich sauce.
Those mindful of calories can pick healthier side dishes with this comforting Indian chicken curry. Riced cauliflower can be as delicious in place of rice with this excellent dish.
And instead of chicken parts with high-fat content, the recipe can use chicken breast.
What Are The Benefits Of Chicken Korma Instant Pot?
The best thing about this pressure cooker chicken korma is it’s fast but yummy.
Delicious Indian spices in creamy coconut sauce and succulent chicken is achievable in under two hours.
Doing the dish at home also allows control of the ingredients for bold flavors and diets. Kormas usually have nuts, but this recipe uses coconut milk for a rich, aromatic curry sauce.
It’s also an inexpensive but filling everyday meal, especially for lunch or dinner.
Partner this authentic chicken korma recipe with rice or bread and satisfy a hungry stomach after a tiring day.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Chicken Korma
- Chicken – This recipe is best with chicken with bones for juicy and meaty chunks that will soak up the creamy chicken curry sauce.
- Yogurt – Adds a mouthwatering tangy profile on the chicken and tenderizes the cuts effectively despite only marinating for an hour.
- Red chili powder – Add as much as preferred for a kick that blends perfectly with the rich korma sauce.
- Salt – Balances the bitterness from the aromatic spices.
- Turmeric – A healthy ingredient that also provides a deep, earthy taste to the curry. Turmeric is also behind the irresistible color of the dish.
- Coconut oil – Most Indian dishes, including curry, are fondly cooked in coconut oil.
- Onion paste – An essential ingredient to start the flavorful chicken korma.
- Ginger garlic paste – Conveniently incorporate the flavor from garlic and ginger in the Instant Pot chicken korma with ginger garlic paste.
- Coriander powder – A classic curry ingredient for a hint of sweetness and citrusy flavor.
- Coconut milk – The secret for the rich and creamy sauce that’s just so good with bread or rice.
- Green chilis – Mild spicy flavor to complete the chicken korma.
- Cilantro – The perfect finishing ingredient before serving the hot coconut chicken curry for added color, bright flavor, and yummy dish fragrance.
Tools Needed To Prepare Instant Pot Chicken Korma
- Pot for cooking the chicken korma
- Measuring spoons for the spices
- Measuring cups for the ingredients
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For Easy Chicken Korma
Garam masala can also be added to the chicken marinate for this Instant Pot recipe. For added fragrance, it can be incorporated into coconut milk.
Heavy whipping cream
Heavy whipping cream can thicken the Instant Pot chicken korma for a creamier sauce. Use it instead of coconut milk, and try a bit of sugar in the curry to balance the richness of the delicious chicken curry.
Blend cashews in a food processor and add them to the chicken marinade for a richer Instant Pot korma. And besides using them for the creamy cashew sauce, keep some whole nuts and sprinkle them over the dish before serving.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Korma
- 500 g chicken, cut into medium size pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup onion paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 slit green chilis
- Cilantro, chopped
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather all the ingredients for the instant pot korma.
STEP 2: Marinate the chicken drumsticks in yogurt, half the chili powder, half the salt, and turmeric. I suggest marinating the drumsticks for an hour.
STEP 3: Heat the instant pot to the “saute” setting and add the coconut oil.
STEP 4: Add the onion paste to the instant pot and cook until light brown. Then, saute the ginger garlic paste in the pot until fragrant, and add the coriander powder, remaining chili powder, and salt.
STEP 5: Mix in the marinated chunks of chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
STEP 6: Stir in the coconut milk and green chilis.
STEP 7: Cancel the “saute” button on the instant pot, then close its lid and pressure valve.
STEP 8: Press the “pressure cook” button and set it to “high pressure.”
STEP 9: Cook the chicken korma for 7 minutes, then allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes before opening the instant pot’s lid.
STEP 10: Press the “cancel” button and select “saute.” Let the chicken korma simmer for 3 minutes before adding the chopped cilantro.
STEP 11: Cancel the “saute” button to finish cooking.
STEP 12: Serve the hot Indian chicken korma with roti or steamed rice. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Chicken Korma
The creamy and hearty Instant Pot chicken korma is best enjoyed with naan, roti, or basmati rice.
These will balance out the spices in the aromatic and flavorful dish and will quickly satisfy hungry tummies.
But for those mindful of their carbs, try a cup of cauliflower rice with this Indian cooking classic. It’s high in fiber, so it’s very filling with cream or nut-based sauce.
Prepare a multi-cuisine course and try these yummy dishes to pair with this flavorful Indian-themed meal:
Tips About Making Instant Pot Chicken Korma
Instant Pot chicken korma is a must-try homemade curry because it’s so damn easy. But to achieve the perfect tender chicken and creamy curry, keep these in mind:
- Always saute the chicken before pressure cooking because this step seals the savory flavors in the meat and prevents overcooking it.
- Chicken korma can also use chicken breast or boneless chicken for less fat, but pressure cook it for only 4 minutes to avoid drying the chicken pieces.
- Do not add the coconut milk too early because it can separate and create a greasy layer on the cream with meat.
How To Store Instant Pot Chicken Korma
Got leftovers? These tips can help the chicken korma last longer and are perfect for those who want to prepare yummy Indian food as a make-ahead meal:
Fridge: Cool the Instant Pot chicken korma and transfer it to an airtight container for refrigeration for up to 6 days.
Freezer: Chicken korma can be kept in the freezer for three months in an airtight container.
Reheating: Defrost the chicken korma and reheat it over the stove at medium heat. Add some chicken broth or tablespoons of water to revive the sauce’s consistency, and stir the dish during heating to keep the sauce from sticking to the pan.
Does Chicken Korma Have Coconut?
Chicken korma is made with coconut oil and coconut milk, and South Indian Korma or Kurma uses coconut with nuts and seeds. But depending on preference, some substitute coconut milk with heavy cream for a richer sauce.
Where Is Chicken Korma From?
Korma is from India and can be traced back to Mughal kitchens, possibly around the 18th century. The flavor foundation of this Indian cuisine comes from onions and Persian spices, which gives it the classic irresistible aroma.
Is Chicken Korma The Same As Butter Chicken?
Chicken korma and butter chicken are different dishes where korma’s flavors are from spices, while butter, milk, and cream influence the sauce for butter chicken. Chicken korma also has a grainier sauce and typically doesn’t feature tomatoes.
FAQ About Instant Pot Chicken Korma
Is chicken korma a curry?
Yes, chicken korma is a mild and creamy Indian curry often served on special occasions.
Is chicken korma sweet?
Chicken korma is sweet and creamy, making it ideal for kids and people who don’t like spicy curry dishes.
Is chicken korma spicy?
Chicken korma has a mild spiciness compared to other curries, but some prefer using more chilis to increase its heat factor.
- Gather all the ingredients for the instant pot korma.
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt, half the chili powder, half the salt, and turmeric.
- Heat the instant pot to the “saute” setting and add the coconut oil.
- Add the onion paste to the instant pot and cook until light brown. Then, saute the ginger garlic paste in the pot until fragrant, and add the coriander powder, remaining chili powder, and salt.
- Mix in the marinated chicken and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and green chilis.
- Cancel the “saute” button on the instant pot, then close its lid and pressure valve.
- Press the “pressure cook” button and set it to “high pressure.”
- Cook the chicken korma for 7 minutes, then allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes before opening the instant pot’s lid.
- Press the “cancel” button and select “saute.” Let the chicken korma simmer for 3 minutes before adding the chopped cilantro.
- Cancel the “saute” button to finish cooking.
- Serve the hot chicken korma with roti or steamed rice. Enjoy!
- I recommend marinating the drumsticks in step 2 above for an hour to get the best flavor profile.
- Do not skip sauteing the chicken with spices for a few minutes before pressure cooking to seal the flavors and keep the protein from being overcooked.
- This chicken korma recipe is best with bone-in meat like chicken legs, but it can also use chicken breast by pressure cooking for only 4 minutes.
- Always add the coconut milk at the last part so it wouldn’t separate and create a greasy film at the top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
Instant Pot chicken korma is a flavorful and comforting meal that doesn’t require too much time and effort.
The chicken is only marinated for an hour, then sauteed and pressure cooked to perfection in creamy coconut curry sauce.
Everything is done in the electric pressure cooker.
The spices can also be adjusted to preference, and this mild curry dish is perfect with bread or rice for an easy and filling meal.
If you liked this easy Instant Pot korma, you’d love these easy but crowd-pleasing meals: