This post may contain affiliate links which means I will get a commission if you make a purchase at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure for details.
Try this copycat Chipotle corn salsa recipe! Chipotle shared it on TikTok. It’s loaded with corn, onion, jalapeños, poblano peppers, cilantro, and citrus juice.
This is your chance to recreate a popular dish from home. The only things you need?
A few fresh ingredients, and the determination to resist takeout while you try out this recipe.
Once you’re done, you’ll be so happy with the results, you might just ditch those food delivery apps for good! 💃
What Is Chipotle Corn Salsa?
Chipotle corn salsa is made with fresh ingredients like corn, red onion, poblano peppers, and jalapeños, and then usually seasoned with cilantro, salt, and lemon juice (or lime juice!).
It’s a popular dish at Chipotle Mexican Grill.
Many people keep ordering this salsa at Chipotle whenever they crave it, but more and more are starting to make it at home.
I can’t blame them! Who wouldn’t want to save money while still enjoying their favorite Mexican-inspired dishes?
Now, would you believe that Chipotle shared their corn salsa recipe recently on TikTok?
Of course, it went viral, and now almost everyone makes their own version of this classic.
Are you excited to make your own salsa? This copycat Chipotle corn salsa recipe is perfect for anyone who loves the flavors of Mexican cuisine.
If you’re organizing a Mexican charcuterie board for a gathering soon, you can add this salsa, too, even at the very last minute!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A budget-friendly homemade dish: Mexican-inspired dishes can be pricey, and ordering takeout or delivery is often tempting. Thankfully, this recipe helps us enjoy Chipotle’s famous corn salsa at home without spending much. It’s affordable yet still brings out the same delicious flavors.
- Easy to make: No need for advanced cooking skills here. Just some baking and mixing and that’s it! This copycat corn salsa recipe makes it easy and quick, so you’ll spend less time in the kitchen.
- Customizable: Our goal is a copycat Chipotle corn salsa, but feel free to add your own twist. For example, a dash of cumin, smoked paprika, or chili powder can be great additions. You can also use parsley instead of cilantro. They complement the other ingredients nicely.
What Does Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa Taste Like?
This copycat Chipotle corn salsa offers a blend of sweet, savory, and mildly spicy flavors.
You’ll love the crunchy, charred flavors of roasted corn mixed with the gentle tang of red onions. Fresh cilantro adds a fresh, herbal taste, while lemon juice brings a zesty twist.
Oh, and yes, it’s got poblano and jalapeño peppers, too! So you’re probably wondering, “Is this salsa really spicy?”
Well, it’s got a bit of a spicy kick, but not so much that it’ll scare you off. So don’t worry. It’s not the kind of spicy that’ll have you breathing fire!
Also, this recipe includes tortilla chips for a crunchy pairing, but no one’s stopping you from enjoying it with other chips and dishes.
What Is in Chipotle Corn Salsa?
- Roasted corn – Chipotle uses white corn for its salsa, but yellow corn is also a good choice if you prefer a stronger flavor. Both are sweet – white corn just has a milder taste.
- Red onion – It brings a crisp texture and mild sweetness to your salsa.
- Poblano pepper – Gives a mild, spicy kick. It’s not too strong, so you’ll love this copycat Chipotle corn salsa even if you don’t like spicy food.
- Jalapeño pepper – Again, a little spice won’t hurt. This one offers a mild heat and fresh zing like the poblano pepper.
- Fresh cilantro – For fresh, zesty, and aromatic flavors that truly contribute to that signature Chipotle-inspired taste.
- Lemon juice – Let’s infuse tangy and citrusy notes to balance out the flavors in this side dish.
- Salt – It enhances all the flavors, and yes, it makes the sweetness of the other ingredients stand out!
- Tortilla chips – You don’t really need utensils to enjoy this. Just scoop up your salsa with these crunchy chips!
Tools Needed To Prepare This Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa Recipe
- Baking dish for roasting the corn in the oven
- Large mixing bowl to combine the corn with the other ingredients
- Spatula for stirring the ingredients together
- Serving bowl to serve your copycat Chipotle corn salsa
Ingredient Additions & Substitutions For This Chipotle Corn Salsa Recipe
Lime juice has a fresh and tangy flavor that’s more tropical than lemon juice.
You can use it instead of lemon juice or mix them together in your copycat Chipotle corn salsa for a more balanced citrus flavor.
Use fresh lime juice if you can, but going for store-bought ones will also result in a delicious side dish.
White onions are generally milder in flavor than red onions, so using them means enjoying a more gentle taste!
They are mildly sweet, with little to no sharpness or spice.
Go for these onions if you want to lessen the spice level of your salsa without taking away the pleasant crunch.
Ah, so you want it to be more spicy?! You have to bring hot sauce to this mix. Start with a small amount, like ¼ to ½ teaspoon.
If it’s not spicy enough, keep adding more until you get the right level of spice for you.
Adding tomatoes is the best way to introduce a pop of color to your copycat Chipotle corn salsa!
Their natural sweetness beautifully contrasts with the savory elements.
But with tomatoes, you have to make more salsa. Their bright color and sweet taste are so inviting that everyone will want to try it!
Green bell peppers have a milder and sweeter taste compared to poblano peppers. They’re good for lessening spice and adding crunch to dishes.
But remember, by using green bell peppers, you’re also taking away that beloved smoky flavor from your Chipotle corn salsa.
How to Make Chipotle Corn Salsa
- 1 cup corn
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup poblano pepper
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Tools you need:
STEP 1: Gather all the ingredients for your Chipotle corn salsa.
STEP 2: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
STEP 3: Place the corn in a baking dish and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes.
STEP 4: Transfer the roasted corn to a large mixing bowl.
STEP 5: Add the onion, poblano pepper, and jalapeño to the bowl with the corn.
STEP 6: Then, add the cilantro, lemon juice, and salt.
STEP 7: Stir until everything is mixed well.
STEP 8: Serve your copycat Chipotle corn salsa with tortilla chips as a snack, or use it as a fresh topping for your favorite dishes!
What To Serve With Chipotle Copycat Corn Salsa
- As part of your charcuterie board: Add this copycat Chipotle corn salsa to your Mexican-themed charcuterie board. Our spread has crackers, mini tortillas, and hot Doritos. As you make your own version, you can include some corn chips and other snacks for your burrito bowls. It wouldn’t feel complete without corn salsa!
- Tacos: Our spicy shrimp tacos come with a heavenly cilantro-lime crema. Curious about that spicy, creamy, and herby combo? They’re a perfect match for your Chipotle corn salsa! This pairing is great if you want something filling but don’t have time for complex recipes.
- Potato soup: In the mood for a cozy dish? Who says spicy can’t be comforting? The cheesy taste of our hash brown potato soup combined with the tangy, spicy salsa is a real comfort food treat. You could serve the salsa on the side or as a topping for the soup for a satisfying meal.
Tips About Making The Best Chipotle Salsa
- Properly cool roasted corn: Let your roasted corn cool before adding it to the salsa. It shouldn’t take long, only around 15 minutes. The heat from the corn can cause delicate cilantro leaves to lose their texture. Waiting a little longer will prevent the fresh herbs from wilting. It can help maintain the corn’s crunchiness, too.
- Chopping the ingredients: Dice the red onion and poblano pepper into small, even pieces, about ¼ inch in size. This way, they’ll cook evenly and mix with the corn. The result? Consistent texture and flavor for your copycat Chipotle corn salsa.
- Handling jalapeños: Take out the seeds from the jalapeños to make them less spicy. Then, chop them up finely to spread the heat evenly in the salsa without it getting too hot. And, oh, don’t forget to wear gloves to avoid skin irritation from the pepper’s oils.
How To Store This Chipotle Salsa Copycat
- Fridge: Put your leftover copycat Chipotle corn salsa in an airtight container, and it’ll stay good for about 5 days. This works for any extra roasted corn, too, if you’re saving it for future salsa batches. The salsa might even taste better after a day or two as the flavors blend together.
- Freezer: Freezing this salsa isn’t recommended because ingredients like cilantro and onion can become soggy and lose flavor when thawed. If you really need to freeze it, use airtight containers or freezer bags and leave some room for expansion.
- Thawing: Thaw your Chipotle corn salsa in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Thawing it slowly can keep its flavor and texture better. Afterward, it will still taste good, but the flavors may not be as strong.
- Room temperature: This salsa tastes best cold or at room temperature. If it’s been in the fridge, let it sit out for 30 minutes before serving, and then add fresh toppings to keep it zesty.
How to Make Roasted Corn for This Salsa?
Preheat your oven to 350°F and place the corn in a baking dish. Here’s something many people forget – spreading out the kernels evenly.
Just shake your dish or use a spatula to spread the kernels in a single layer evenly.
Now, it’s time to roast it in the oven for about 10 minutes. The goal here is a slight char on the corn, enough to give your copycat Chipotle corn salsa a smoky flavor.
The corn is ready when some kernels turn light golden brown with a few dark spots.
Don’t undercook the corn, as it will be too crunchy. Also, avoid overcooking, which can dry out and burn the corn.
Go for a gentle toasting to keep it sweet. And remember, every oven is unique.
Sometimes, it may need extra time, longer than 10 minutes. So, just keep an eye on it to get that perfect roast.
How Do I Turn This Into a Mexican Corn Salad?
Done making your copycat Chipotle corn salsa? Then, it’s time to make it into a salad!
A typical Mexican corn salad has roasted or grilled corn mixed with ingredients like avocado, tomatoes, and red onions. It’s usually dressed with lime juice, salt and garnished with fresh herbs like cilantro.
Want to add your favorite green leafy veggies? This will taste even more delicious with romaine lettuce.
Just mix everything. The goal? Add more ingredients to turn your salsa into a fuller meal instead of just a side or topping.
FAQ About Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa
Is roasted chili corn salsa spicy?
Roasted chili corn salsa is typically mildly to moderately spicy, depending on the amount of chili and jalapeño peppers you use.
What corn does Chipotle use?
Chipotle uses white sweet corn in their corn salsa.
Can you freeze corn salsa?
Sure, you can freeze it for up to 3 months, but keep in mind that there might be some changes in taste and texture once you thaw it.
How many carbs in Chipotle corn salsa?
Chipotle corn salsa contains about 15 grams of carbs per serving.
Does Chipotle corn salsa have cilantro?
Yes, Chipotle’s corn salsa includes cilantro.
- Gather all the ingredients for your Chipotle corn salsa.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the corn in a baking dish and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted corn to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, poblano pepper, and jalapeño to the bowl with the corn.
- Then, add the cilantro, lemon juice, and salt.
- Stir until everything is mixed well.
- Serve your copycat Chipotle corn salsa with tortilla chips as a snack, or use it as a fresh topping for your favorite dishes!
- Chill your copycat Chipotle corn salsa in the fridge for an hour before serving. This cool break lets the flavors blend even more, making your salsa tastier.
- Planning to serve your salsa at a party? Set up a salsa station with extras like chopped avocado, sour cream, and cheese so guests can personalize their bowls!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 359mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for the most accurate results.
I understand that you’re not too motivated to explore new complex recipes (I get it, some can be a real hassle), but an easy copycat recipe that results in a popular corn salsa?
You wouldn’t want to miss this one. You can enjoy this copycat Chipotle corn salsa with many of your other favorite meals.
Bread, quesadillas, grilled meats, nachos, rice dishes, what else? It’s light, but not boring!
Are you looking for more appetizers and sides that you can enjoy anytime? These recipes are so easy and delicious, you’ll want to make a huge batch right away: