It’s probably not natural to be as excited about spring cleaning as I am right now.
But I am! We spent the last week spring cleaning our little faces off, and our house feels amazing. Lighter. More livable. More like a home, rather than a series of rooms that held piles of random stuff that just collected dust.
After many trips to Goodwill to drop off donations, stacking recyclable goods by the curb as tall as me, and organizing our closets by color, there was one more room to tackle: the kitchen.
Oh, the kitchen. My favorite place to be, but my least favorite to clean. I’m really good at making messes in the kitchen, but not the best when it comes to cleaning them up. I have a tendency to let dishes pile up next to the sink and before we know it, half the countertop is comprised of dirty dishes.
I may or may not be the worst when it comes to keeping a kitchen clean.
Well this year, I wanted to change. I wanted to make my kitchen sparkly clean, spic and span, and organized. And I wanted to do it in the most efficient, eco-friendly way possible. As convenient as those canisters of cleaning wipes are, I feel awful every time I use one and toss it in the trash.
Well, the good people at Full Circle came to my rescue! Just when I thought my kitchen couldn’t be any more of a hot mess, a big box arrived at my front door full of all sorts of cleaning-related goodies!
You wouldn’t think I’d get so excited to receive a box of things that would force my to clean my kitchen, but even I surprise myself sometimes!
Full Circle sent me literally everything I could possibly hope for in order to begin my eco-friendly kitchen cleaning adventures! I received a pot scrubber, a dish brush, a pack of loofah sponges, a package of cellulose cloths, a natural cleaning solutions booklet with a spray bottle, and a countertop compost collector with a package of biodegradable, compostable bags. Now I had no excuses–the kitchen was going to get an extreme makeover!
Here are the horrifying before pictures of my kitchen–we don’t have the nicest kitchen in the world to begin with, but Dishpocalypse 2012 certainly wasn’t helping to make it look any better.
Scary, huh? Welcome to the life of a food blogger who doesn’t have a dishwasher, and who hates doing dishes!
I know. Not pretty.
I’m really good at dirtying dishes, aren’t I?
But! Check out what a little bit of time, determination and lemon juice can do:
Dishes? All done!
Countertops? Clean as a whistle!
Stove? Microwave? Shinier than a silver dollar!
Guess what, guys? You can tackle your spring cleaning in an eco-friendly way, too! I’m giving away a whole bunch of beautiful, all natural, planet friendly products in honor of Earth Day, which is April 22!
That’s right: one lucky reader is going to win a veritable boatload of amazing Full Circle products to get their spring cleaning done the all natural way. Pretty sweet, right?
how to enter
It’s super simple! Leave a comment telling me what Full Circle product you’d absolutely love to have in your home! Just pop over to Full Circle’s website and let me know what product you think is the dreamiest. Please be specific! For example, instead of saying “Sponge,” say “Bubble Up Dish Brush!”
what’s up for grabs?
A whole bevy of awesome, eco-friendly cleaning supplies and products!
Here’s what you’ll win:
- The Grip Pot Scrubber! It’s got a beautiful bamboo wood handle with a loofah that doubles in size when wet. Made with Earth-friendly plant materials, this scrubber is 100% biodegradable and is tough on your pots and pans yet gentle enough to not scratch their delicate surfaces.
- The Laid Back Dish Brush! This brush also has a bamboo handle with a lovely curved shape that’s not only ergonomically designed to feel great in your hands, it also keeps the bristles off your coutertop–love that! The brush heads are replaceable, and the entire brush is 100% biodegradable.
- A set of three Loofah Sponges! These sponges are tough and incredibly durable–if they can handle the horrifying grime that was lurking in my kitchen and home, they can tackle anything! One side is a sponge, and the other side is a loofah–it’s safe on glasses, nonstick cookware, and anything else you might use it on. It’s also 100% biodegradable–I love that I can just compost it when I’ve scrubbed it to death.
- A set of three Squeeze Cellulose Cloths! Oh em gee, you guys. These things are AMAZING! First of all, they’re like the next generation of paper towels–have you ever tried to re-use a paper towel, like they claim you can in the commercials? It never works! But with these cellulose-based cloths, you can use them again and again! They’re great for mopping up spills, wiping down countertops, cleaning dishes or washing windows. You can boil them or pop them in the dishwasher to freshen them, and each cloth will last you MONTHS. They too are 100% biodegradable, so you don’t have to feel guilty about finally tossing them when the time comes!
- Come Clean Natural Cleaning Solutions! This is so, so awesome, you guys. You’ll get a squeeze bottle with a lemon juicer built right in, a microfiber cleaning cloth and a booklet full of cleaning solution recipes you can make yourself. I LOVE THAT. You probably have most of the ingredients for the different cleaning solutions in your house right now, and they work just as well, if not better than those scary ones from the store full of harsh chemicals. There are recipes for countertop sanitizers, fabric refreshers, tub and toilet cleaners, and even recipes for shampoo and perfume for your pup!
- A Fresh Air Odor Free Countertop Compost Collector, plus 25 Renew Compostable Refill Bags! I’m going to wax poetic about my new obsession with composing in tomorrow’s post, but this is seriously SO EXCITING! This adorable little rectangular guy hangs out on your countertop, happily collecting your kitchen scraps while being courteous enough to not make your house smell at all. Seriously. Not even a little bit! We put this baby to the test and put some pretty ripe stuff in there and let it sit on the countertop, and this compost collector took it like a champ. The bags are completely biodegradable, too! This composting system is perfect for compost novices, those who live in apartments or don’t have a yard!
Pretty amazing haul, right?
The giveaway will be open from 9:00 am EST on Monday, April 15th, 2012 and will close on Saturday, April 21st, 2012 at 11pm EST. I’ll use Random.org to choose a winner, and I will announce the winner on my blog, on Twitter and on Facebook on Earth Day, Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 at 12pm EST.
The winner will have 48 hours to contact me through e-mail (jaclyn [at] foodpluswords [dot] com) or the contact form on this site with their full name, e-mail address and physical address so they can receive their Full Circle Home Prize. if the winner doesn’t contact me by Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 by 10am EST, I will draw a new winner.
want extra entries?
- Follow @foodpluswords on Twitter, and leave a comment saying “I follow @foodpluswords on Twitter!” with your Twitter handle!
- Follow @FullCircleHome on Twitter, and and leave a comment saying “I follow @FullCircleHome on Twitter!” with your Twitter handle!
- Tweet about this giveaway, and leave the link to your tweet in a comment! You can use this sample tweet: Hooray! Earth Day! @foodpluswords is giving away a @FullCircleHome All Natural Spring Cleaning Prize Pack! Enter now: bit.ly/HJXXVm
- Become a fan of food + words on Facebook, and leave a comment saying “I like food + words on Facebook!” and write your first name and last initial in the comment!
- Become a fan of Full Circle on Facebook, and leave a comment saying “I like Full Circle Home on Facebook!” and write your first name and last initial in the comment!
- Click the “like” button at the bottom of this giveaway post and leave a comment with your first name and last initial!
- Subscribe to food + words via RSS feed or e-mail!
Be sure to leave a separate comment for each extra entry opportunity!
Good luck, loves! I’ll be back tomorrow to tell you everything you’ve ever wanted to know about composting, but were afraid to ask!
I’ll be sharing plenty of homemade beauty product recipes, DIY cleaning solutions and other eco-friendly recipes with you all week in honor of Earth Day! Hooray, Earth!