mint chocolate lip gloss.

Hey! St. Patrick’s Day is this weekend, you know.

Have you heard that there’s this saying that people tend to say a lot that day? “Kiss Me, I’m Irish!”

Lots of kissing happens on St. Patrick’s Day. And pinching. It’s a very flirtatious holiday.

Fact: nobody wants to give or receive kisses if your lips are rough or dry or chapped. It’s really best to be prepared for these types of situations.

So let’s make some lip gloss, lovelies!

Making your own lip gloss sounds really complicated, right? Nope! Well, it would be if you were going to load up your lip gloss with tons of chemicals and additives and preservatives like the store-bought stuff.

I mean, think about it: lip gloss goes on your lips, which is right by your mouth. Which means that there’s a damn good chance you’re going to end up consuming some of that stuff that makes your lips pretty. So wouldn’t you rather prettify your pout with some all-natural gloss that smells and tastes fantastic, and also happens to be natural and edible?

Did I mention that this lip gloss will make your lips crazy soft, super moisturized, and totally kissable? ‘Cause it totally will.

I’ve had a HUGE obsession with lip gloss ever since I was, oh, eight years old. I swear, I’ve owned every single flavor and color of lip gloss, lip balm, or chapstick that’s been on the market since 1995. It’s a serious addiction.

In fact, the only type of makeup I wear is lipgloss. Does that count? Is lip gloss considered makeup? I think it counts. Seriously, when I try to actually put on makeup to go out or something, I end up looking like a baby prostitute. It’s not pretty. I’m 27, and I have NO idea how to put on eyeliner. True story.

Anyway! We should make some lip gloss, you guys. It’s super simple! And fun!

All you really need are some tiny jars/pots (I had a used-up jar of lip gloss I cleaned out and sterilized, but you can find very small jars for cosmetics at the craft store or online!) and a few items from the kitchen and you’re good to go! When I say it takes about 5 minutes to make this, I really mean it. Nothing could be simpler!

For this gloss, I used a combination of sweet almond oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter and pure vitamin E oil. The first two, sweet almond oil and coconut oil are wonderful oils that have become staples in my pantry. I cook and bake with them all the time, and you should, too!

Almond oil is so good for you and your body. Consuming it helps to lower cholesterol, and it’s also wonderful for your digestive health. You can use almond oil on your face, skin, nails and hair for tons of stuff, like adding moisture and relief to dry, thirsty skin, strengthening, thickening and adding tons of shine to your hair and making your cuticles look lovely!

Coconut oil. Guys, I am obsessed with this stuff. Obsessed! I buy the organic, unrefined variety, and I use it for everything. I bake with coconut oil. I cook with coconut oil. I put coconut oil on my face and hair and body! If I were to write an epic power ballad, it would definitely be about coconut oil. Sorry, Ryan!

Anyhow. Coconut oil is a soothing, healing oil that has numerous health benefits. Consuming coconut oil can help boost metabolic functions, kidney functions, and it strengthens bones and teeth. Coconut oil is full of powerful antioxidants, and also possesses antimicrobial properties. It’s so multi-talented! Coconut oil will make your hair so wonderfully shiny and strong and amazing. It’s the best thing ever for deep-conditioning hair masks! You can use coconut oil as a massage oil, and can also use it to help treat dry skin, eczema and other skin conditions.

Cocoa butter and pure vitamin E oil can be found at most drugstores and craft stores, and definitely can be purchased online. I use both for many of the cosmetics I make, and I definitely suggest having them around your home, too. Cocoa butter is wonderfully moisturizing, and pure vitamin E oil is SO GOOD for your skin, hair and nails! Fun fact–cocoa butter and vitamin E oil are both wonderful for naturally lightening and fading stretch marks and scars. Now you know!

This lip gloss is wonderful and amazing, but it will melt if you leave it in a car or a hot place. I store mine in the fridge or my purse! Since there are no preservatives, the lip gloss will spoil eventually, but I know you’ll use it up before that happens. Trust me.

Make this lip gloss, put it on your mouth and kiss someone this weekend!

Homemade Mint Chocolate Lip Gloss

Yield: 1 small jar lip gloss (about .20 ounces)

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon pure almond oil
1 teaspoon cocoa butter
3-4 drops pure vitamin E oil
1-2 drops pure peppermint extract
3-4 semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a small heat-safe bowl (glass or metal is good) and set aside.

Place a small saucepan with about 1 inch of water in it over medium-low heat, and heat until the water is steaming and simmering.

Set the bowl on top of the steaming pot of water, taking care that the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.

Using a small spoon or spatula, slowly melt the ingredients until they are melted and thoroughly combined. This should take about 5 minutes.

When the ingredients are combined and the mixture is smooth, pour the lip gloss into a sterilized small container and allow to cool to room temperature until solid, about 1 hour.

Store the lip gloss in your purse or in the fridge, but be cautious that it will melt under hot temperatures! Apply with your finger or a small brush.

The lip gloss should keep for up to two months.

adapted from show

Pin It

59 Responses to “mint chocolate lip gloss.”

1. #
    Brian @ A Thought For Food — March 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

But how do you stop yourself from sticking your tongue in the jar? That’s what I’d like to know. :-)

2. #
    Spencer — March 13, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Looks great. A very innovative way to use chocolate.

3. #
    Ambika — March 14, 2012 at 12:16 am

Yum!! I love this, but I’ll have to make it by truckloads cuz I’ll keep licking my lips all the time!

4. #
    Kathryn — March 14, 2012 at 5:49 am

Oh clever! I’ve always wanted to make my own lip gloss.

5. #
    Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 14, 2012 at 7:56 am

Oh my! This is so fun! Awesome idea!

6. #
    Katie — March 14, 2012 at 10:38 am

AMAZING! I just shared this on my DIY blog… what an awesome DIY beauty creation!

7. #
    Russell at Chasing Delicious — March 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

This is soooo cool! I didn’t know you could make your own lip gloss. Is it weird that I’d probably just eat it all day if it was on my lips?

8. #
    Lunatix24 — March 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thank you for sharing this simple how-to!~ ^_^ I am tempted to make my own lip gloss. One question, though… If I can’t find a cocoa butter or shea butter, what would you suggest in place of these? The shop that sells these butter is really far from my place. I’ve been going crazy finding a substitute for those. :( I would appreciate your suggestion. Thank you!~ :)

9. #
    Jordan — March 14, 2012 at 10:59 am

I have an empty face cream container. How do I sterilize it so I can use it for this fabulous lip gloss recipe?

10. #
    Megan @ Country Cleaver — March 14, 2012 at 11:09 am

This is just flippin’ brilliant! I never would have guessed!! I found you on Pinterest and dang am I ever so glad I did!

11. #
    Shaina — March 14, 2012 at 11:44 am

Yum! Perfect for kissing the Irish. :)

12. #
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — March 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

By FAR the best post about st. patrick´s days´ recipes I´ve seen so far. Very clever.

13. #
    naomi — March 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm

LOVELY idea! and even better, it’s all natural-wowza! I’m not Irish but my husband is, so I’m thinking he’s gonna want to kiss me even more with this on.

14. #
    Bev Weidner — March 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Shut your face I LOVE THIS!

15. #
    wintersundays — March 14, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Great post! Little confused about the cocoa butter. I have never seen it in dry form before – There is Palmer’s Cocoa Butter but it’s a solid cream. Please clarify – thanks!!

16. #
    Jeanette — March 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Yum, love this homemade lip gloss. Only problem is I think I’d lick it all off and have to keep reapplying!

17. #
    thelittleloaf — March 15, 2012 at 5:48 am

This is such a fun idea! We always used to laugh at my friend at school because she liked eating lip gloss (weird, I know)…but seeing this it doesn’t seem so strange! Yum :-)

18. #
    Donaville — March 15, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Lol, I echo Brian’s thoughts. I’d likely eat all of the lip gloss or at least the chocolate chips, easily!

19. #
    kristin — March 16, 2012 at 6:59 pm

:) I’m almost 31 and I have no idea how to put on eyeliner either! I’ve only just recently been applying blush! I think that gloss would be really dangerous for me. Too much licking!

20. #
    Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — March 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

So creative!! Seriously, I wish I would have thought of this. :)

21. #
    Karen McCoy — March 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Yummy! If you add a couple tablespoons of beeswax to the recipe, it won’t liquefy when it gets hot.

22. #
    Sue — March 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I had no idea there were so many health benefits to almond oil and coconut oil. I found your idea really interesting. If I can find the ingredients I’ll give it a go! thanks!

23. #
    Armi Niemi — March 21, 2012 at 6:23 am

Thank You for sharing this tip! Awesome :)

24. #
    Rachel — March 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

Oh wow! That sounds amazing! I have yet to make my own lip gloss, but now I’m very tempted. Thanks for sharing!

25. #
    Inês de Castro — March 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm

This is an amazing idea! I love this :)

26. #
    Julye — March 23, 2012 at 3:31 am

looks delicious – will try soon!!

27. #
    Tanya Sachdev — March 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

wow…lip smaking recipes…i m on my way to make one …

28. #
    Yoanna — March 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I want to ask if there is something that I can use to replace the cocoa butter? Because I’m from Bulgaria(it’s in Europe, on the Balkans :D), and I can’t find it anywhere.

29. #
    Erin @ Making Memories — April 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

How cool is this?!?!

30. #
    Flor — June 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

He encontrado en Pinterest su página, me encanta, felicitaciones, sólo hablo español y tengo duda de su receta en cuanto a:
    Coloque todos los ingredientes en un pequeño tazón de fuente de calor de seguridad (de vidrio o de metal es bueno) y dejar de lado.

Coloque una cacerola pequeña con alrededor de 1 pulgada de agua en él a fuego medio-bajo, y el calor hasta que el agua es vapor y cocer a fuego lento.

Establecer el recipiente en la parte superior del bote al vapor de agua, teniendo cuidado de que la parte inferior del recipiente no toque el agua.

Con una cuchara o una espátula pequeña, derrita lentamente los ingredientes hasta que se funden y combinan bien. Esto tardará unos 5 minutos, esto se refiere a que pongo la cacerola al fuego y encima cocer a vapor, yo le llamo baño maria, es correcto?, gracias me encantaría saber a mi email, martinezgomezflor@gmail.com esto si no es mucha molestia, hasta pronto!!

31. #
    Jaclyn — June 8, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Hey guess what my name is Jaclyn to and I love this Idea thanks for sharing.

32. #
    Krista — July 4, 2012 at 12:54 am

I followed the recipe exactly, but my gloss won’t solidify. Is there anything I could do to make the gloss set?

33. #
    Rachel — July 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I love the idea of making my own lip gloss but I have a problem…I’m allergic to cocoa butter. Would it be ok to make it without it or is there something that could replace it? Thanks!

34. #
    Emily — July 14, 2012 at 1:37 am

I’m allergic to almond oil…any ideas for a substitute? I would love to try this if it’s possible :(

35. #
    Angie — November 21, 2013 at 6:26 am

Are both the oils cooking oils? I see the almond oil is pure and not sweet wondering about the coconut. Thanks!

36. #
    Silvia — December 20, 2013 at 5:00 am

No tenia conocimiento este blog hasta ahora, lo recomendaré a todo el mundo!

¿Hace mucho que existe? Vendré más con frecuencia,
    su diseño muy usable.
    Me encanta tu blog, dan ganas de comenzar a escribir .

Hola!! Puedo usar una imagen de este blog para el mío?
    No consigo imágenes apropiadas para mi web y las tuyas están geniales.
    Muchas gracias!
    En Este blog se usa el mismo theme que usaba en el mío.

¿Puedes decirme cómo se llamaba? Lo perdí y no consigo
    localizarlo… Muchas gracias!!
    Gracias por compartirnos artículos como este.
    Me divierte tu web. Me guardo el RSS para no dejarme nada en el
    futuro.
    Es interesante la información. los próximos post.

Me encanta este site. Post como este son los que son más sinceros.

37. #
    Rifath — January 22, 2014 at 1:43 am

Awesome idea! you could have added a pic with the lip glow applied :)

38. #
    dezynsekcja — February 15, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Hi there, its good paragraph on the topic of media
    print, we all be aware of media is a enormous source of facts.

39. #
    Smithd2 — April 17, 2014 at 7:09 am

Very good blog post.Really thank you! Fantastic. cafgkfacdd

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: DIY mint chocolate lip gloss | Fig & Cherry

2. Pingback: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with 18 Natural Beauty Products and Recipes in Mint | Garden of Beauty

3. Pingback: Make Your Own Lip Balm! 10 + Resources | GIF Peanut Butter

4. Pingback: prettylittlepieces: Mint Chocolate Lip Gloss « Tinned Pineapple

5. Pingback: Things I’m most excited to try… | inthiskin

6. Pingback: DIY – Mint Chocolate Lip Gloss | New Jersey - NJ / Philadelphia Cosmetology School - Rizzieri Aveda School

7. Pingback: Mmmm…Lip Gloss? | Where Women Live.

8. Pingback: Best of Pinterest Weekly Round-up – The Chocolate Edition | Nature's Beauty Secrets

9. Pingback: Handle the Heat » Weekly Recap #1

10. Pingback: The present | What is Recovery?

11. Pingback: Holiday Gift Guide : No More Dirty Looks

12. Pingback: 5 DIY Gift Ideas! | Life as a Dare

13. Pingback: DIY Mint Chocolate Lip Gloss

14. Pingback: Lip gloss al cioccolato fai da te | Green Magazine, Idee green dal web

15. Pingback: DIY Homemade Chocolate Mint Lip Gloss | Ethical Green StoreEthical Green Store

16. Pingback: DIY Mint Chocolate Lip Gloss | Natural DIY Ideas

17. Pingback: 30 Days of DIY Spa: Day 21 – DIY Lip Balm | Spafinder Wellness 365 Blog

18. Pingback: Make Your Own Luscious Lip Balm! (Great Gifting Idea) | Haute In Hijab

19. Pingback: 10 DIY para estar más guapa | El tarro de ideasEl tarro de ideas

20. Pingback: 15 Pretty Ways on How to Make Lip Gloss | Its Jello!