salted brown butter cocoa nib rice krispie treats.

Get a load of that title, will ya? What a mouthful!

But seriously, folks. I’m totally back and better than ever!

I’d like to issue a formal apology for my absence from blogging to all of my amazing readers. Real life kind of got in the way of my internet life for a few months. Don’t you hate it when that happens?

I mean, at least I have a good excuse for slacking off. I kind of was planning an uber-DIY wedding. And then, said wedding happened. After that, I went on a EPIC honeymoon. And two days after that, my semester started at school.

Busiest bee ever!

In the middle of all of those insane/amazing/epic/wonderful/crazy events, I’ve been hard at work on some AMAZING INSANE TOP SECRET SUPER INCREDIBLE projects! Loud noises!

Whew. Breathe, in, breathe out. I haven’t been relaxing or taking deep breaths or meditating or taking stock of my life lately…is it obvious? No? Okay, great. Awesome.

So anyway, I’ve been a pretty god-awful blogger. Leaving you hanging FOR MONTHS without a delicious recipe, witty quip or random thought. I’m the worst! I hope you guys can forgive me for being so absent, for so long.

…Would it make you feel better if I shared a crazy-simple recipe with you guys?

…A recipe that you could prepare in mere minutes?

…Something delicious, that would at the same time remind you of your childhood while making you feel like a fancy adult?

Is it weird that I refer to myself as a ‘grown-ass woman?’

Here, let me use that phrase in a sentence. “I get my blouses dry cleaned, obviously. I’m a grown-ass woman!”

Yup. This is how I talk.  I’m a little bit ridiculous.

See, I’m kind of like these rice krispie treats. Slightly immature? Yup. Reminds you of your childhood? You betcha.

But then, you’re blindsided by brown butter, fleur de sel, and cocoa nibs. What? Where’d all of that amazingness come from? When did rice krispie treats get all amazing and mature and grown up and such?

Enter me. Stage right. Dramatic bow. Pause for standing ovation. Rose-throwing totally optional.

I’m back!

salted brown butter cocoa nib rice krispie treats

Yield: one 9" x 13" pan

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups puffed rice cereal (you can totally swap out your favorite cereal)
1/3 cup cocoa nibs (no nibs? it's cool. got dark chocolate chips? use the same amount. miniature milk chocolate chips? swap 'em out!)
fleur de sel (sea salt!), sprinkled liberally

Directions:

Line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper draped over each long side, or spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

Place the butter in a large, high-walled saucepan, set over medium heat.

Allow the butter to melt, and then begin stirring the pan slowly but constantly.

The butter will begin to foam up and bubble, and you will notice it change color slightly from yellow to very light brown. This may take about 3 minutes.

When you see small brown specks in the pan, add the miniature marshmallows, and reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring frequently.

When the marshmallows are melted, add the puffed rice cereal and stir until coated. Remove from the heat.

Pour the marshmallow-coated puffed rice cereal into the prepared pan and, using a silicone spatula, spread into an even layer.

Sprinkle the cocoa nibs over the surface evenly, and top with the fleur de sel to taste. Can't get enough of that salty/sweet combo? Bring on the fleur de sel! A little nervous? Sprinkle with trepidation, my friend.

Allow the rice krispie treats to cool to room temperature before cutting into even-sized squares.

The rice krispie treats will keep for up to three stored in an airtight container at room temperature.

a food + words original

Pin It

17 Responses to “salted brown butter cocoa nib rice krispie treats.”

1. #
    Kathryn — January 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Love cocoa nibs. Love brown butter. Love these. I totally forgive you for daring to have a life outside the blog!! Hope you’ve had a good few months, can’t wait to hear about the big super secret adventures too!

2. #
    Katie from Katie's Cucina — January 29, 2012 at 5:33 pm

YUM! These look and sound amazing! I’m so happy you are back from your blogging hiatus! I can’t wait to chat about your wedding/honeymoon/ and everything else going on in your life!

3. #
    Rachel — January 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Yaay wedddings! Congratulations! Getting married is an excellent excuse for being away from your blog.
    I have not made rice crispie treats in forever but I suddenly find myself craving them – your version.

4. #
    Lenore — January 29, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Um, hi. What an awesome recipe to come back with! So fancy and so fun all at once. I seriously cannot wait to hear about the wedding and honeymoon!

5. #
    DessertForTwo — January 30, 2012 at 12:30 am

We forgive you, honey!! We’re so glad you’re back! And we’re excited for you and your super fun projects :D

6. #
    Karen Moret Harrison — January 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

What exactly is a cocoa nib?

7. #
    Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 30, 2012 at 11:12 am

Congratulations on your wedding! I know how time consuming it can be to plan something like that.

What a great way to return to your blog… with this amazing recipe. Oh brown butter can do no wrong.

8. #
    Haley — January 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Congrats on the wedding! I bet it was awesome. I’m super glad you’re back with epic blogs! :)
    i <3 you!

9. #
    Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 30, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Congratulations on your wedding! I hope you guys had an amazing day and honeymoon. What a great way to come back – with browned butter! That makes everything better.

10. #
    Living The Sweet Life — January 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Congratulations for ALL the great things you’ve been up to :) This is a very exciting time in your life – - enjoy every second of it.

By the way, I can hear angels sing because of how good these rice krispy treats sound ;) lol

11. #
    liz @ carpeseason — January 30, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Congrats! I had just discovered your blog before you got married and was hoping you’d be back soon!

12. #
    Jeanette — January 31, 2012 at 9:29 am

Congratulations on your wedding! Sounds like you are back in full swing with these adult rice krispie treats!

13. #
    Kaitlin — January 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Welcome back! I’m happy you’re posting again :)

These sound fantabulous! I love quick, simple recipes, but I hate when they’re boring. These, however, are 100% NOT boring. THANKS!

14. #
    Nicole — January 31, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Welcome back! I only started reading you a couple months before your wedding – so I’m stoked you’re back!

Also, these sound life-changing. I love grown-up reinventions. Bravo.

15. #
    naomi — February 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Congrats and welcome back. These are going in my requried eats catalog.

16. #
    Lyn @LovelyPantry — February 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Just came across your blog! So lovely :-) Congrats on getting married! I’m making this treat today. *smiles*

17. #
    Jill Mant~a SaucyCook — February 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm

YUM!! Grown up rice crispie treats….wooohoooo!! I didn’t miss you because this is my first visit to your blog, but it won’t be my last. Congrats on your nuptuals!! Cheers!